Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #616
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I finally got my Trophy fairing mounted and gave it a quick test ride as well! It's much quieter than the sport flyscreen my bike came with. The wind hits my helmet right around my visor now (6'0", 33" inseam), but the wind noise is still dramatically reduced and I don't think I'll mind long rides. Plus, it looks really good! (No offense to Cee Baileys guys, but those things are so ugly I'd sell my bike and ride something different... Hehe!) Now I just have to learn to take pictures as nice as Hoop71!

Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #617
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
FWIW I just mounted a Coocase on the larger BMW rack (I swapped out the curvy original). It fits nice and the 28 liter Coocase was only $59! The adapting plate (base plate) was $15 for the BMW rack.

On another note have any of you mounted auxiliary driving lights on your R1200R? If so, can you tell me where you mounted them and possible add a picture? I'd like to add some ADVMonster lights low down - so I can get that triangle of light going.
Mine is an 1150R but I bet the forkage is similar. Here is a pic of some ADVMonsters on there, and I used some Memphis Shades fork clamps. I highly recommend getting the heavy duty light mounts, though. My next choice may be relocating to the engine bars, to sort of widen the light triangle, but they are working well there, and you can see the separation. One thing I do like about them being on the forks is you can point them more easily in other directions at need.

Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #618
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Mine is an 1150R but I bet the forkage is similar... I used some Memphis Shades fork clamps. I highly recommend getting the heavy duty light mounts, though.
I think the forks are similar, but a little larger diameter.

When you say "heavy duty light mounts" do you mean these: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...ket/Detail.bok

Or do you mean the $10 option for the heavy duty lights: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...off/Detail.bok

Looked up the Memphis Shades and will do the trick. I wonder if something like this would work too? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...be-Clamps.aspx

Weird Bug screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 08:44 PM
Weird Bug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #619
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Mine is an 1150R but I bet the forkage is similar. Here is a pic of some ADVMonsters on there, and I used some Memphis Shades fork clamps. I highly recommend getting the heavy duty light mounts, though. My next choice may be relocating to the engine bars, to sort of widen the light triangle, but they are working well there, and you can see the separation. One thing I do like about them being on the forks is you can point them more easily in other directions at need.

I mounted mine using the bolt that attaches the fender, just had to drill the hole in the light mount larger. Don't know if that would work on the 12 series though.

www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #620
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,840
R1150r

This one is mine.

I bought it new in 2002. It's now done 84,000 kms.

I've had three previous BMW's
75/6 - 240,000kms, GS80PD - 90,000kms and a Funduro 650 single -33,000kms.

The above photograph was taken towards the end of a 9,000km trip from my home on the west coast of Australia to the east coast and then down to the Island State of Tasmania.

That's what happens when you take a 300km gravel short cut and it rains for half of it. I was lucky to get out without having to spend a cold night in the bush. Sliding around a bit.

It's reasonably stock apart from a set of 25 mm handlebar lifters, a sump guard from a GS and hand guards, also from the GS range.

I do a lot of dirt, there is plenty in my home state and always on the stock road tyres.

The small screen comes standard in Australia, it's noisier than without, but I wear ear plugs.

Only issue so far, leaking fuel from the quick release clips under the tank.
Oh yeah, the headlights pretty poor, more the reflector than globe size I reckon. But I don't do a lot of night riding anyway, too much wildlife.
Kangaroos and emus and further north a lot of unfenced grazing country with big, half wild cattle.

Very comfy stock seat.

I love tubeless, had to plug a few over the years, I just use the hairy looking, string type plugs.
Had two in a rear once and continued for another 4,000 kms before replacing the tyre.

A few trip reports here if you are interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103373

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439729

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735949
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #621
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Will BMW system cases for an R1150R fit on a R1200R? I got a set of side cases with the R1150R Rockster that I bought recently. Now, I'm thinking about trading in my K1300S for a new R1200R and would love to avoid buying a second set of cases.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #622
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
I think the forks are similar, but a little larger diameter.

When you say "heavy duty light mounts" do you mean these: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...ket/Detail.bok

Or do you mean the $10 option for the heavy duty lights: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...off/Detail.bok

Looked up the Memphis Shades and will do the trick. I wonder if something like this would work too? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...be-Clamps.aspx
I'm sorry, I said mount but meant bracket. Yes, those on that page.

Mounting lights on those lower fork holes could be an option, too, but at that height I wonder if it would be harder to read the road, I tend to lose perspective on depth when I have lower lights, but I may put some running lights there for visibility.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #623
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
This one is mine.

I bought it new in 2002. It's now done 84,000 kms.

I've had three previous BMW's
75/6 - 240,000kms, GS80PD - 90,000kms and a Funduro 650 single -33,000kms.

The above photograph was taken towards the end of a 9,000km trip from my home on the west coast of Australia to the east coast and then down to the Island State of Tasmania.

That's what happens when you take a 300km gravel short cut and it rains for half of it. I was lucky to get out without having to spend a cold night in the bush. Sliding around a bit.

It's reasonably stock apart from a set of 25 mm handlebar lifters, a sump guard from a GS and hand guards, also from the GS range.

I do a lot of dirt, there is plenty in my home state and always on the stock road tyres.

The small screen comes standard in Australia, it's noisier than without, but I wear ear plugs.

Only issue so far, leaking fuel from the quick release clips under the tank.
Oh yeah, the headlights pretty poor, more the reflector than globe size I reckon. But I don't do a lot of night riding anyway, too much wildlife.
Kangaroos and emus and further north a lot of unfenced grazing country with big, half wild cattle.

Very comfy stock seat.

I love tubeless, had to plug a few over the years, I just use the hairy looking, string type plugs.
Had two in a rear once and continued for another 4,000 kms before replacing the tyre.

A few trip reports here if you are interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103373

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439729

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735949

Hey Eagle, nice post :)..always wanted to get down there and bash around, I guess I watched Crocodile Dundee too many times, lol. Do you recall which model GS sump guard you got? I've been looking myself for one, don't like the exposed oil filter under there, thanks. I sold a set of BMW lids to a fellow down there in Melbourne couple of years ago, he painted a great picture of riding adventures there, looks like you concur :).

Update: Never mind about the sump question, I saw in your RR it was from an 1150GS!

Ricky Chuck screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 09:10 AM
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #624
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
I'm sorry, I said mount but meant bracket. Yes, those on that page.

Mounting lights on those lower fork holes could be an option, too, but at that height I wonder if it would be harder to read the road, I tend to lose perspective on depth when I have lower lights, but I may put some running lights there for visibility.
Thanks for the clarification. I do like the fender mounting option as it is clean and also gives a better triangle for conspicuity. I don't need them for me to see down the road.

Two things convinced me about setting up a triangle up front. One, ever see a oncoming train? Hard to miss with the 3 lights. Second, I sold my RT to my brother with Motolights on the brake caliper bolts and I can see him coming for miles and can easily determine how far away he is - good depth perception.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #625
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
Will BMW system cases for an R1150R fit on a R1200R? I got a set of side cases with the R1150R Rockster that I bought recently. Now, I'm thinking about trading in my K1300S for a new R1200R and would love to avoid buying a second set of cases.
No they do not, I've had both bikes and the case design is totally different, unfortunately for the purpose saving cash. But good because the newer system cases are a much better design IMO.

A photo of roadie the roadster for good measure.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #626
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
No they do not, I've had both bikes and the case design is totally different, unfortunately for the purpose saving cash. But good because the newer system cases are a much better design IMO.

A photo of roadie the roadster for good measure.

Roadie, Is that it's name? How many of us have names for their bikes? I think I have come up with one I like but I haven't really started using it.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #627
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Back Road Burner.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #628
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Lost Rider, what cylinder head covers are those? They look like they provide good protection. I currently have SW Motech crash bars but want to remove them just because I know i'll start dragging them in the twisties.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #629
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Emgonomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfreely View Post
Ricky
Maybe I'm wrong about what I paid, but I swear it was under $50. Not now, however, see the price variance from JC to Amazon (fronting for Motorcycle Superstore).

I know I got the Emgo, because I cut the EM part off the top sticker and now it just says "GO".

Here's a better shot of the trunk. Waterproof, so it will hold ice and barley therapy. I took off the curved BMW rack, which is pretty useless, and cut and drilled a plastic cutting board to be the base.
Again I extoll the virtues of the humble Emgo trunk by means of this composite photo. The top two pics reflect the waterproof (not) backpack holding precious barley therapy.

As you can see by the lower left picture, an ample supply (1 week at best as I tend to hoard it) was safely transported. The lower left shot shows the simple on/off function of its mounting bracket.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #630
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Lost Rider, what cylinder head covers are those? They look like they provide good protection. I currently have SW Motech crash bars but want to remove them just because I know i'll start dragging them in the twisties.
I have those bars on my 1150R, and although I don't know how aggressively you lean, I have been down so low on mine that I really did fear scraping, but it never happened, and my buddy behind me said he was expecting sparks at any moment, lol. My Road 2 tires have allowed me to really enjoy getting low on hard turns, and this last trip to ride the Texas Hill Country gave me the opportunity to stretch my skills on twisties. Give 'em a go.