Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #1816
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Really Enjoying The Ride Report! Only On Page 15, But It is Making Me Giddy For My Own Road Trip This Fall.Safe Travels IF You Are Still On The Road.
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #1817
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacineWI View Post
I have been following this ride report from the beginning and as guys were jocking how awesome AntiHero's pictures/philosophies/stories are I was thinking "quit sweating AntiHero and just enjoy the adventure". I was flat out wrong. This RR is truly special and I am impressed, truly inspiring stuff Anti. I am one of those guys that is too "responsible" to go and do something like this....and my PO wouldn't let me leave the state that long anyway.....I do make time to take my bikes out and ride them like I stole them, even slow down enough to grab a pic once in awhile. Thanks for sharing...

Congrats Dennis.
I don't think I have ever seen a thread attract so many new ADV members as yours.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #1818
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
and the story just keeps getting better
No shit.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1819
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Really like to see your interview. Was it on Roadracing World?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #1820
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
As others have said, quite a fabulous report and viewpoint on life. Having lived through some life changing experiences certainly helps. I think giving people hope and truly showing that anything is possible and your points about sweat equity are right on the money. My few college years were about partying and getting laid. Never graduated. Didn't have the right mindset and as others have said, we might not be cut out for it. However, I never gave up working hard at doing work and doing the best I could. You do your bosses work BEFORE you ever get paid for it, there is no 'entitlement'. So today I actually have a job thats a global role most people would consider to be pretty far up the ladder and am sure in a small class of people to achieve this in the professional world today with no degree. Sure I still have self doubts and that self defeating type of voice in my head but I do my best to beat it back and your points are so valid- the only limits are those we set on ourselves.

Having said that, I purposely went to a shop today to look at Ducatis and sit on a Panigale. She is one hot (I love red!!) seductive beauty. Well, its very impressive that you did what you did on that bike, I doubt I really could make it more than a couple of hours (buldging disc L5,6). Hats off to you!!! Having said that, I definitely want a Duc at some point but more like a Multistrada to share the stable with my KTMs.

Basically your right on and people have read this thread for all things it does say about life and attitude and living!!!

I think one of the things you point out and I have found out- I always wonder what is on the other side of the horizon. Truth is, its another horizon and another and another. Which is; its all about the journey and not the destination. You came back changed but it didn't change what is.

Terrific and thanks!!! Right on brother !!!

5 speed screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 12:00 PM
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #1821
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Dennis, Your RR continues and is finding new lives to touch. Ride free brother
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #1822
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Fookin' hell--you guys never cease to be one of the most rewarding parts of this entire trip. I've been jammed up with work and travel (the airplane/conference room/rental car/variety)....flying back late tomorrow after which time I'll respond individually. Just wanted to say thanks again before I crash hard.

Zzzzzzzz
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #1823
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 154
Just finished catching up over the last week. This thread is hard to describe - suffice it to say that it not only grabbed my attention like a vise grip plier, but inspired me to try a few new things.

ONLY QUESTION - what the hell did you name your bike??!? If you mentioned it, I missed it...

Great thread, great journey. Enjoy everywhere your trip took you, and will take you.

- Dan
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #1824
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider14 View Post
Just finished catching up over the last week. This thread is hard to describe - suffice it to say that it not only grabbed my attention like a vise grip plier, but inspired me to try a few new things.

ONLY QUESTION - what the hell did you name your bike??!? If you mentioned it, I missed it...

Great thread, great journey. Enjoy everywhere your trip took you, and will take you.

- Dan

I was wondering the same but feel that Ducati is a pretty good name.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #1825
Holy Smoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Bravo....

Did you ever detail your packing and clothing strategy?

I am T- 364 days from starting my adventure. I am still in the early planning stages but my 50th year on this planet will be epic. I am trying
to pack as light as possible.

Thank you for letting us ride along.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1826
zingo
@ ?

Oddometer: 27
Good Work Anti

Nice track ride and review , I still follow with Envy. Stay Safe Tonight...
zingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #1827
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
As a long-time ADV inmate and Ducati lover, I could not resist being drawn to this thread. You did a terrific job of drawing me in with your initial pre-departure posts, AntiHero. Since I was seliing my 1098 and contemplating a courtship with her younger sister, I dipped in from time to time, hoping to read more about your experiences with the bike. Your 1199R review tipped me over the edge, so thanks very much for that. I put a lot more stock in the views of someone who's spent over 15,000 miles on a comparable bike than in anything the pros have written. I also really enjoyed your photos and will definitely pick up a copy of your coffee table book to drool over while I wait for my R to arrive.

What I have to say now is definitely going to rub some people the wrong way and I want to preface it by saying that it is not intended in any way as a criticism of your ride report (except that I really would have liked to read more of your impressions of the bike)....

I've now read the thread from beginning to end - almost 2000 posts. And the reader posts really left me wondering when the ADV community turned into such a small minded, whining, and resentful bunch of pussies. I'm sure AntiHero is a nice guy, but there are hundreds of reports here and on HUBB that recount more remarkable adventures. The political and social commentary so many of you seem to have found profound is largely sophomoric -- certainly nothing to compare with Hunter S. Thompson, Robert Pirsig, or even Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I found AntiHero's commentary on the CosPlay crowd quite the most interesting section,having once been seated between two fully-got-up participants on a cross-country flight. And while I agree with one other reader that AntiHero could have shown more empathy for his subjects, I also get that he's not out to emulate Bruce Chatwin. Yes, he took the Panigale on a few fire roads, but I know people who have ridden their Ducatis over the Transfagarasan and Transalpina before they were paved. There's nothing here approaching the ballsyness of, say Nick Sanders or at least a dozen other super bike adventurers. So I just don't get the fawning reaction of so many readers.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the report and don't wish to take anything away from AntiHero -- who of course cannot be held responsible for his fans -- some of you guys should really get out more often, read a little bit, get some perspective on the world, and overcome your pent up frustrations and petty resentment.

-Mifune

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #1828
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,949
Local DC area Supermodel knocked out by a deer, totaled as expected but luckily no serious damage to the rider. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2903
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1829
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I was wondering the same but feel that Ducati is a pretty good name.
I retracted her name, and like you, feel "Ducati" is the most suitable. It's going to take some time for me to warm up to the idea of human names.

As for my clothing/packing strategy, Mr. Smoke, I outlined that a while back...shoot me a PM if you have any particular questions. What worked for me might not work for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The interview by Haden will be good.
Got a time line on that for us?
The 5-6 hours of footage (total for the event) they shot of me will most likely get condensed into 90 seconds of video, no clue what they will keep/won't keep or what the final cut will look like.

Mifune: I think I speak for everyone when I say, "thank you" for demonstrating how to not be whiny and resentful.

AntiHero screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:09 PM
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #1830
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Loved the fact that even the water jugs are Ducati. :)

Sad times. The party had to come to an end sooner or later:

MCN Journalist Michael Neeves somehow got Ducati to agree to let him out on the track all by himself. He filmed a few exits onto the straight, then flipped a bitch, rode CCW and did it again.

Gabe and Matt!

The only ADV sticker so far to grace CotA!