ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #7636
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
I understand the idea of backing up the Montana files to a computer, and then being able to restore them later to the Montana if the need arises.

However is there any way to back up profiles, shortcuts, tracks, and/or maps in a way that you could restore them on a road trip WITHOUT having a computer?

I have a uSD card that I have not used yet but don't see how I could use it as a backup, without some sort of computer involved. Please explain the philosophy on this best practice.

At the very least I want a way to get my tracks loaded again in case something goes very wrong. Thanks.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #7637
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I understand the idea of backing up the Montana files to a computer, and then being able to restore them later to the Montana if the need arises.

However is there any way to back up profiles, shortcuts, tracks, and/or maps in a way that you could restore them on a road trip WITHOUT having a computer?

I have a uSD card that I have not used yet but don't see how I could use it as a backup, without some sort of computer involved. Please explain the philosophy on this best practice.

At the very least I want a way to get my tracks loaded again in case something goes very wrong. Thanks.
You can't do much without some kind of computer but some people use their smartphones or tablet computers to do some of what you're asking for.

I like the idea of having a backup uSD card with my maps, tracks and routes on it, as well as manuals and other information I might need like the manual for my Scala radios. I keep that backup card taped to my Montana's battery.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #7638
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

By the way...
I backed up all my files using Basecamp.
When I got my computer back up and running I clicked File>Restore>BaseCamp 2013-04-23.Backup <-----(this is file name in basecamp)

This works great up and running in no time.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #7639
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,433
I was going to go another route and use a galaxy note 1 as a GPS unit but decided on the Montana. Pulled the trigger and ordered the bundle from GPS City today. Now to read all of Emmbeedee's Hall of Wisdom posts.
Stupid questions to follow once I get the GPS.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #7640
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
I was going to go another route and use a galaxy note 1 as a GPS unit but decided on the Montana. Pulled the trigger and ordered the bundle from GPS City today. Now to read all of Emmbeedee's Hall of Wisdom posts.
Very wise.

You, not me.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #7641
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Very wise.

You, not me.

You may want to preemptively take that back so you're not to disappointed in your assessment when I start asking questions about "on/off buttons" and such other technical operations.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #7642
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
By the way...
I backed up all my files using Basecamp.
When I got my computer back up and running I clicked File>Restore>BaseCamp 2013-04-23.Backup <-----(this is file name in basecamp)
Basecamp's 'Backup' & 'Restore' utility will save the list structure and data within BC. But it doesn't write any changes you've made to a *.gpx file you imported into 'My Collections'. To save those changes to a file, you need to do an 'Export'.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #7643
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Basecamp's 'Backup' & 'Restore' utility will save the list structure and data within BC. But it doesn't write any changes you've made to a *.gpx file you imported into 'My Collections'. To save those changes to a file, you need to do an 'Export'.
I not sure I follow you ...
I have imported many gpx and gdb files and they are all still there.
After my PC restore.

I am still learning about basecamp so I must be missing something here.

Thanks
Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #7644
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I not sure I follow you ...
I have imported many gpx and gdb files and they are all still there.
If you make changes to those files in BC and wish to save those changes back to that imported file, for use outside of BC, you must use 'Export'.

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 11:35 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #7645
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Stupid questions to follow once I get the GPS.
Did the same last week(600 + Canada TOPO) and it arrived on Fri, so the weekend was spent getting up to speed. I was worried, but it's not near as bad/hard as it seemed. Very pleased so far!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #7646
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
If you make changes to those files in BC and wish to save those changes back to that imported file, for use outside of BC, you must use 'Export'.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I'll have to play around with this.

Thanks
Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #7647
Belaflek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quick question. I jumped the gun on the mount adn purchased the garmin rugged cradle only. After looking around it looks like that I need an arm that hooks to the bike and a plate with a ball on it so I got the
RAM-B-149 RAM U-BOLT MOUNT W/ SS HARDWARE.
It looks like this should work with teh Garmin rugged mount but
1) am I still missing the ball part
2) does it have to be the diamond pattern..I thought AMPS was a standard
Belaflek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #7648
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Should work. The 'standard' is the AMPS hole pattern. The Rugged craddle uses this standard, as does the part you ordered (This?). The only thing is that you'll only use 2 screws from the rugged mount to the diamond-shaped plate. Should be OK, IMO....

I think you can use this to replace the diamond-shaped piece if you want to be a little more secure.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7649
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Probably already asked here somewhere, but I don't see it. Supposedly CNNA is unlocked if you get it on the sd correct? How does this work if you want to run a larger sd card? Can you 'copy' it over to a larger sd card or are you restricted to swapping in CNNA sd card everytime you want to use it? I imagine it would be locked down somehow because if you could just copy it off and on to another sd everyone could just pass it around...

So if I want to run a larger sd card am I better off getting the DVD version? If so how is that loaded on to the Montana?
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #7650
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Probably already asked here somewhere, but I don't see it. Supposedly CNNA is unlocked if you get it on the sd correct? How does this work if you want to run a larger sd card? Can you 'copy' it over to a larger sd card or are you restricted to swapping in CNNA sd card everytime you want to use it? I imagine it would be locked down somehow because if you could just copy it off and on to another sd everyone could just pass it around...

So if I want to run a larger sd card am I better off getting the DVD version? If so how is that loaded on to the Montana?

All your questions are answered here.

I highly recommend the DVD version over all other versions.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote