Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #61
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I had the living shit scared out of me by one of these big ugly bastards once. Going around a corner and suddenly there was a fucking pterodactyl 3 inches from the windshield of my car.

I may have yelled a little bit. Not had any trouble with birds on the bike. Occasionally as I'm putting along beside a field one or two will pace me a couple of feet away to see what's going on.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #62
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
After my near-miss with a turkey vulture last month, I took extreme caution yesterday when rolling up on five of them eating some small rodent on the road. I slowed and they just kept eating, I flashed the lights and they just kept eating, I hit the loud horn and one by one they flew off except for one who just gave a dirty look. Eventually as I approached it flew off, but the stench in the air left from all of them was worse than a skunk.

AlsoRan screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:12 AM
AlsoRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #63
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
Just this afternoon, I was headed back home after a leisurely 80 mile ride through God's Country when I rounded a corner to confront a gaggle of turkeys. I killed the ignition and coasted quietly to a stop. I remained silent and still.

A couple of hens seemed curious and drifted over to check me out. The gobbler was offended! He strutted his stuff with a full display of tail feathers and with his wings set... just like "Hans and Frans". He made it a point to stay between me and the two hens. The other five hens took notice and came over to see what the excitement was all about.

The gobbler got even more agitated as he worked both sides of the bike, trying to keep the hens away. He must have thought the Wee was a competing suitor. He would stop and stare down the bike. He got so close as to rake his tail feathers across the Wee's faring.

This continued for 15 minutes with the gobbler rustling his feathers auditably every 20 seconds.

Finally a car drove up. Two guys got out and started taking pictures. One guy gave me his card and said that he would email me copies.

The birds finally drifted off the the south, and I continued on home...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #64
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
First day out yesterday for the cycle season. Did a casual 100 mile swing but got a late start after work.

About 6:30 p.m., coming through an area near a protected state forest type of thing, I come around a curve in the county road and see "automotive" glass sparkling in both lanes, and in the middle of the road is a still steaming dead Bambi. Alright, this is never good. Unless you like roadkill.

The deer had tee boned a newer Chevy Tahoe. Looked like a missile hit the drivers door, and broke the glass in two doors which was decorating the roadway. Another car stopped to help...... it had obviously just happened. Everyone OK, but shaken.

I just leave that mess, and around the next curve a wild turkey flies from left to right at about level
with my head and I don't know how we missed each other. Fricken Jurassic Park...

Great topic, I think many of us are dialed in looking for deer, and do not expect the flying prehistoric stuff coming at us.

It does make you take notice.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #65
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Washing my bike from a trip to Alaska and found a bird all dried up under the bracket of my side stand, pulled it out and it was a sparrow, stopped and gave a little thought; and remembered that on the hwy in Ak there were low flying birds across the roads and thought that I had missed them, apparently I caught one. Not a happy moment, I do not like killing animals even accidentally.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #66
Plaka OP
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
I'm pretty surprised at all the stories. I though my encounters were more of a fluke...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #67
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
After spending the last couple of weeks enjoying this thread, I got out for my first longer ride this year last Saturday - 200 miles. I was much more aware of the bird threat! They are everywhere - and they are watching us.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #68
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Just this afternoon, I was headed back home after a leisurely 80 mile ride through God's Country when I rounded a corner to confront a gaggle of turkeys. I killed the ignition and coasted quietly to a stop. I remained silent and still.

A couple of hens seemed curious and drifted over to check me out. The gobbler was offended! He strutted his stuff with a full display of tail feathers and with his wings set... just like "Hans and Frans". He made it a point to stay between me and the two hens. The other five hens took notice and came over to see what the excitement was all about.

The gobbler got even more agitated as he worked both sides of the bike, trying to keep the hens away. He must have thought the Wee was a competing suitor. He would stop and stare down the bike. He got so close as to rake his tail feathers across the Wee's faring.

This continued for 15 minutes with the gobbler rustling his feathers auditably every 20 seconds.

Finally a car drove up. Two guys got out and started taking pictures. One guy gave me his card and said that he would email me copies.

The birds finally drifted off the the south, and I continued on home...

NFE
Would love to see those pics.
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote