Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #46
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
You're joking right? Driver's Ed in this country is anything but good. They teach kids how to use blinkers and parallel park. Waaaayyyy to easy to get a license in the country.
Did your parents teach you to spell, read, and write?

Come to Florida and watch some parents drive. Then tell us that that's who you want to teach unruly know-it-all teenagers how to drive.

Turning people loose after a minimal amount of trained and qualified instruction/coaching is bad enough. Turning people loose after untrained and unqualified instruction/coaching is somehow going to be better?

Kommando screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 10:30 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #47
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
Friends and Family was how people learned for years.
Go check the stats on how well that's worked.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #48
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Did your parents teach you to spell, read, and write?

Come to Florida and watch some parents drive. Then tell us that that's who you want to teach unruly know-it-all teenagers how to drive.

Turning people loose after a minimal amount of trained and qualified instruction/coaching is bad enough. Turning people loose after untrained and unqualified instruction/coaching is somehow going to be better?
Point being that Drivers Ed does not do enough. Not that we are better off without it.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #49
Brynjolfr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I didn't read all the other posts. I caught what I wanted from the first page that other people were suggesting. MSF rocks! I, too, learned to ride at a young age and have ridden, off and on, ever since. Regardless, when I decided to buy a bike, I decided to go and take this course if, for no other reason, to not have to take the DMV riding test.

It was a ton of fun and I still took in some good concepts taught in the course. If you REALLY want to make it fun, take it with her or convince some of her friends' old men to put their ladies into the course and take the class with her.

As for starter bikes, I learned on a Z-50 and went on from there. If I was going to teach my girl to ride, I'd put her on a little, old 100cc dirt bike and turn her loose in the yard or maybe put her on a quad?
Brynjolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #50
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Quote:
You're joking right? Driver's Ed in this country is anything but good. They teach kids how to use blinkers and parallel park. Waaaayyyy to easy too get a license in the country.

Amen.

I took the MSF course along with a GF even though I didn't 'need' to. I still learned some good things and it was a valuable experience. I had one of the State Trooper moto cops. She learned great deal even though she'd spent a lot of time riding dirt and the best part is *I* didn't have to teach her.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #51
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
i always loved the looks of the TU.
i was lucky enough to take my MSF course on one, and a week after completing my MSF class, I bought a TU.
that was about a year ago.
I know commute on the TU most the year and love it. everything from residential streets and back roads to cruising down the highway on my way to work.
it is an awesome bike.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #52
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
My wife was riding a bit. Rode my dirt bikes, got her a GZ250 that she wanted. Rode that a bit. She wanted a Sportster. Are you sure? Yep. Got her a Sportster. Total piece of shit. Way too heavy. Really shitty brakes. Very poor handling. No cornering clearance, even going extremely slow. She liked the look. She didn't like riding the Sportster and started riding my Ducati. Light. Great brakes. Good handling. Great power. Her interest in riding faded, too cold, insurance, tires, etc., and she basically stopped riding. To tell you the truth, I'm relieved. Her lack of experience, the extremely large number of illegal alien, unlicensed, uninsured drivers here, and the highest hit and run statistics in the state, if not the whole fuckin' country, made me a nervous wreck when she was out riding , even though she never went alone.

I'm much more relaxed now that she doesn't ride any more.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #53
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
You're joking right? Driver's Ed in this country is anything but good. They teach kids how to use blinkers and parallel park. Waaaayyyy to easy to get a license in the country.
I call BS. Driver Ed here teaches kids neither turn signal use nor how to park...

Or how to manage traffic and watch for developing issues, "you can't predict what people are going to do- just drive the car and try to avoid getting hit."

No, I didn't make that up.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote