User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2416
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Centerstand for $202, ouch.

Radiator Crash bars $172.50. I don't know about protecting my radiator. It's a good place to hang loud horns on, but kind of bulky for that purpose alone. The BMW F650 safety bars kept a side impact mini van bumper (the most notorious bumper heights for talking on a cell phone!) from my ankle (and not my radiator height) and spintering it into a hundred pieces. I don't give a damn about my radiator. Nothing has ever hit it before. Maybe the BMW crash guard will worlk on the Strada? I doubt it, but I'm not going to get the radiator guard. I'll use that money for the $202 center stand, ouch

But for you offroaders, the radiator crash guard may come into handy if you regularly randomly rotate around. I would think they would just be something else to snag things in the woods - ?? The bike is pretty naked, but steel tubes all around the luggage racks and radiators seems odd, but I guess you have to put it on (since it is all that is offered) and experience it in 3D to understand why it is the only thing offered. Husky really is catering to the Terra and not the Strada, so the accessories must be offroad applications only.

Now if they had a crash guard or the BMW one fits, then I could see adding the radiator guard since it does not have a fairing and it is a very big radiator sitting out in the open. It's just not my first concern having been hit in the side by a lady in a minivan talking on her cell phone (twice, once on my F650 and once in my truck!)

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...erra-strada-13

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...erra-strada-13

rride screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 12:14 AM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #2417
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
GS - vs TR

If I had to get down to only one bike....and I have a few...the TR is quickly gaining ground on what was the favorite ..(GS) .. The TR is behind in wind/rain protection of course....lacks in 2 up...(I'm always solo)....everywhere else it's simply a keeper.

Hard to believe you can pick one up now for 6k or less! I am not comparing to a older GS either...it's a camhead. The little single is happy to chug alone....but loves to rip too. Miles of smiles bike for me. Some of my riding buddies don't understand why I continue to pick the H with the choices I have. I reckon you just have to spend some time on it to "get it"
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #2418
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
If I had to get down to only one bike....and I have a few...the TR is quickly gaining ground on what was the favorite ..(GS) .. The TR is behind in wind/rain protection of course....lacks in 2 up...(I'm always solo)....everywhere else it's simply a keeper.

Hard to believe you can pick one up now for 6k or less! I am not comparing to a older GS either...it's a camhead. The little single is happy to chug alone....but loves to rip too. Miles of smiles bike for me. Some of my riding buddies don't understand why I continue to pick the H with the choices I have. I reckon you just have to spend some time on it to "get it"
A wise man understands it's all about the smiles?

Regards, Paul
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #2419
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Bottom line question about owning a Terra

Guys, have followed the whole great adventure about the Terra, and have to say I would love to have one, but apparently there may be just one place in Oklahoma to get one of these, hours away of course, and I am not clear on this whole "Moss" diagnostic tool thing, and whether or not some problem could shut the bike down and make it unridable (true?).

Obviously people are buying this bike hand over fist, but bottom line, is it possible the bike could get Immobalized and not be repairable except by a dealer? I confess I've read so much about this bike it has all blended into one big blur when it comes to any potential dangers to ownership. I am unable to get off the fence on getting one of these or going with the safer bet of a DR or KLR since they are almost universally serviceable due to popularity, etc.

Would those of you who bought the bike before it was known they would be discontinued still buy it? Thx.

To be honest, I probably am in the same boat with my R1150R since there is only one dealer hours away, but this Moss thing may be what bothers me most, unless that is simply not an issue.
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #2420
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Guys, have followed the whole great adventure about the Terra, and have to say I would love to have one, but apparently there may be just one place in Oklahoma to get one of these, hours away of course, and I am not clear on this whole "Moss" diagnostic tool thing, and whether or not some problem could shut the bike down and make it unridable (true?).

Obviously people are buying this bike hand over fist, but bottom line, is it possible the bike could get Immobalized and not be repairable except by a dealer? I confess I've read so much about this bike it has all blended into one big blur when it comes to any potential dangers to ownership. I am unable to get off the fence on getting one of these or going with the safer bet of a DR or KLR since they are almost universally serviceable due to popularity, etc.

Would those of you who bought the bike before it was known they would be discontinued still buy it? Thx.

To be honest, I probably am in the same boat with my R1150R since there is only one dealer hours away, but this Moss thing may be what bothers me most, unless that is simply not an issue.
A few guys over on CafeHusky have bought from the dealer in Oklahoma with good reports.

The MOSS "flash" is just the fuel injection mapping. It is nothing to worry about. How many times have you had to get your fuel injection flashed on your car? Once you get it set, you're good. For some reason, the TR's were coming from the factory a little wonky. The reflash is a quick fix that lasts. Now, if you start adding aftermarket performance parts, like exhausts, you'll likely have to get it retuned. That is the case with any EFI bike though.

Now, would I have bought it if I knew it was getting discontinued? I did. I'm not saying we know it is going to be discontinued, but I bought mine feeling pretty certain that they would. I already missed out on the perfect dual-sport thumper in a one year run (BMW X-Challenge). The TR650 is even better than the X, so I wasn't going to let it happen again. I have no regrets about buying this bike, even at last month's prices.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #2421
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Now, would I have bought it if I knew it was getting discontinued? I did. I'm not saying we know it is going to be discontinued, but I bought mine feeling pretty certain that they would. I already missed out on the perfect dual-sport thumper in a one year run (BMW X-Challenge). The TR650 is even better than the X, so I wasn't going to let it happen again. I have no regrets about buying this bike, even at last month's prices.
Having ridden an X Challenge a bit ... and nearly bought one ... I'd say the Terra is the better bike. Yes, a bit heavier but better everywhere. Even it was $1000, IMO, a good deal.

Start with the foolish Continental Air Damper rear suspension system on the X Challenge. I've ridden two X Chal, one set up, one stock. The stock one had less power than my DR650, had very soft front and very firm rear. (harsh actually!) Bike felt heavy and slow.
The set up one was WAY better ... but the owner was a BMW dealer mechanic and had made about a thousand upgrades.

Out of the box the Terra is the better bike.

Ricky Chuck:
I'm a huge DR650 fan. But in this case have to admit the Terra is the better bike. Sure, it will need stuff, all bikes do. But appears to be a solid motor with decent components. The DR is a tough machine and versatile.
The Terra? 15 years ahead design wise. Ride them back to back to feel the difference. (I just got my first Terra ride yesterday! Impressive indeed!)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #2422
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 770
interesting Husky article
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...source=twitter
M696
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #2423
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktpa View Post
Hell yeah! Knock another $1000 off the Strada! We'll get rid of them for you.
(when they said $1500 to $2500 off sale, I assumed as the biggest bike, they would have been the biggest discount anyway)

Probably depends on the direction of the market at this critical juncture: higher highs with normal abc correction or big wave 5 downwards on expanding trapezoid. Looking upwards from almost all time frames, although increasing divergence in key indicators.

Strada: stacking them deep and selling them cheap! Anything to save the company! Pierer got the company for free almost and he is still bitchin': good CEO after all. The BMW tight German's are not going to give it all away for nothing without a little debt. Too bad, I love Italian made motorcycles.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #2424
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Having ridden an X Challenge a bit ... and nearly bought one ... I'd say the Terra is the better bike. Yes, a bit heavier but better everywhere. Even it was $1000, IMO, a good deal.

Start with the foolish Continental Air Damper rear suspension system on the X Challenge. I've ridden two X Chal, one set up, one stock. The stock one had less power than my DR650, had very soft front and very firm rear. (harsh actually!) Bike felt heavy and slow.
The set up one was WAY better ... but the owner was a BMW dealer mechanic and had made about a thousand upgrades.

Out of the box the Terra is the better bike.

Ricky Chuck:
I'm a huge DR650 fan. But in this case have to admit the Terra is the better bike. Sure, it will need stuff, all bikes do. But appears to be a solid motor with decent components. The DR is a tough machine and versatile.
The Terra? 15 years ahead design wise. Ride them back to back to feel the difference. (I just got my first Terra ride yesterday! Impressive indeed!)
Agreed on all counts. The X was far from factory perfect, especially when compared to the Terra. However, the year it was released, it was an impressive start. I think the Terra, albeit heavier, is a much much better bike. That's why I bought one.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #2425
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post

To be honest...I would have probably chickened out...too many nay Sayers "the sky is falling" & I woulda probably given those post/threads too much credit.
Now in hind site....I didn't know how great this bike was....I "thought" it would be good....but now I know.

Hell. I am not rich....far from it but I've wasted far more $$ on far less stuff and not missed it or regretted it. I tell you how much I like the TR....I have really given some thought to buying a second....at the much discounted rate....just to have around...only thing is the look on my wife's face would be certain to gain me a free pass to th DR. PHILL Show. One day, many people will regret not buying the TR when they had their chance.
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #2426
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
To be honest...I would have probably chickened out...too many nay Sayers "the sky is falling" & I woulda probably given those post/threads too much credit.
Now in hind site....I didn't know how great this bike was....I "thought" it would be good....but now I know.

Hell. I am not rich....far from it but I've wasted far more $$ on far less stuff and not missed it or regretted it. I tell you how much I like the TR....I have really given some thought to buying a second....at the much discounted rate....just to have around...only thing is the look on my wife's face would be certain to gain me a free pass to th DR. PHILL Show. One day, many people will regret not buying the TR when they had their chance.
The thought of a spare Terra has crossed my mind as well.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the interim, I have not said a word to my Strada about the ownership changes, as a result it still rides just as good as it did when BMW owned Husky.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #2427
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
The MOSS "flash" is just the fuel injection mapping. It is nothing to worry about.
On my bike, which was a mess when new, stalled all the time, ran horribly under 4k, etc., the MOSS fix was not FI mapping related. It was an idle actuator reset that resolved the issues. Since then, the bike runs like a top. I'm fortunate to have a dealer 50 miles a way with the tool.

If I was buying one new today, I'd make absolutely certain to test ride it a bunch and make absolutely certain it's fine before I signed anything.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #2428
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

In six months, over winter, my Strada was the garage favorite at 3k miles. My K1600 did 250 miles during the same period. Anything <300miles / day and one up the Strada get's the job.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #2429
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck

Quote:
A few guys over on CafeHusky have bought from the dealer in Oklahoma with good reports.

The MOSS "flash" is just the fuel injection mapping. It is nothing to worry about. How many times have you had to get your fuel injection flashed on your car? Once you get it set, you're good. For some reason, the TR's were coming from the factory a little wonky. The reflash is a quick fix that lasts. Now, if you start adding aftermarket performance parts, like exhausts, you'll likely have to get it retuned. That is the case with any EFI bike though.

I bought a Terra last month and I too am concerned about this "MOSS flash" business. I think what Ricky Chuck was concerned about is the same concern that I have - and it's got nothing to do with how well the bike runs. There have been reports about some kind of an ECU problem. Apparently something can go wrong resulting in "ECU Error" (or something to that effect) being displayed on the speedometer readout. When this happens the bike cannot be started until it is re-flashed with the MOSS tool. I am very concerned about this happening when I'm a hundred miles from no-where. Can somebody please elaborate on what this is all about?

Other than that this is a great bike and I couldn't be happier with its performance. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a bike that is great on the street and can still handle fairly gnarly 4WD tracks. One thing I'd recommend to everyone who buys this bike and intends to ride it off-road is to remove the mufflers and luggage rack and wrap about a dozen or so wraps of good quality duct tape (I used Gorilla tape, worked perfectly) around the rear end to keep it from breaking off. After you put the mufflers and luggage rack back on the duct tape is barely noticeable.

Thank you

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #2430
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
I bought a Terra last month and I too am concerned about this "MOSS flash" business. I think what Ricky Chuck was concerned about is the same concern that I have - and it's got nothing to do with how well the bike runs. There have been reports about some kind of an ECU problem. Apparently something can go wrong resulting in "ECU Error" (or something to that effect) being displayed on the speedometer readout. When this happens the bike cannot be started until it is re-flashed with the MOSS tool. I am very concerned about this happening when I'm a hundred miles from no-where. Can somebody please elaborate on what this is all about?

Other than that this is a great bike and I couldn't be happier with its performance. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a bike that is great on the street and can still handle fairly gnarly 4WD tracks. One thing I'd recommend to everyone who buys this bike and intends to ride it off-road is to remove the mufflers and luggage rack and wrap about a dozen or so wraps of good quality duct tape (I used Gorilla tape, worked perfectly) around the rear end to keep it from breaking off. After you put the mufflers and luggage rack back on the duct tape is barely noticeable.

Thank you

John

You don't have a 1st batch TR like some of us. The stalling at low RPM's is a real pain in the ass that is addressed with a MOSS reflash. I still haven't taken mine over to Tucson to have it done, but I will eventually.

And the 'ECU Error' someone had before was from a loose battery cable if I remember correctly.

I keep telling you people but no one is listening... CUT THE TAIL OFF!

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote