Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #17326
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Woody's did charge $100 more to fix this Beemer rim over the Tenere.
Proof once again of the 'cost of ownership' thing.
You were riding that Beemer when that poor rim was damaged weren't you?

You might want to stop running into shit.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #17327
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
You were riding that Beemer when that poor rim was damaged weren't you?

You might want to stop running into shit.

Not that time. But I did get the new guy on the ride today let me try his bike.

I also got to drive this one down the hill after the owner was done dropping it.
I felt bad for him. That's a big bike to have to pick up several times on a hill.

Speaking of, this hill got steeper over the hump. Loose, little ledges and probably the first time
I thought maybe a lower first gear wouldn't be so bad. Then it just went into chug mode and
went right up. The GS rider later told me he didn't think a Tenere could make it. Changing
misconceptions one ride at a time.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #17328
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
I also got to drive this one down the hill after the owner was done dropping it.
I felt bad for him. That's a big bike to have to pick up several times on a hill.
So nice of you to help out Mr. West.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #17329
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Looking good, the bike that is.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #17330
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #17331
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #17332
Moondogs
Moondog

Oddometer: 4
Question Tenere or not?

So this thread started in Feb. of 2008 so forgive me guys and gals that I don't read all the postings (over 1000 pages!). I might retire my 1996 K1100RS soon but looking for a replacement. In the running is a V-Strom, the Tenere or the F800GT or maybe another suggestion. I have seen many a V-Strom out there but looking at the Tenere is new for me. I am not interested in too much off road and it has to have the ability to have highway pegs installed. (Broke my right leg and I have to straighten it out on long rides). So to those who own or have owned what is your take on it? (I did read a few posts involving discussion on vibrations and not having a good out come.)

BTW, new to the site, howdy all :)

Moondogs screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 05:16 PM
Moondogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #17333
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Exciting times since I will pick up my new XT within 1 hour and say goodbye to my beloved DL650 that I had for 6 years.
Read a test in the new UK SuperBike magazine in a comparo with Honda`s Crossrunner (or what it is called) and the Triumph Explorer that they really liked the XT but choose the Explorer, maybe since their mag is called SuperBike? Also got a hint that Yamaha probably will come out with a triple soon which will be in the R1 and an Adventure bike rumors or not it is interesting. Now off to the bike shop!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #17334
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogs View Post
So this thread started in Feb. of 2008 so forgive me guys and gals that I don't read all the postings (over 1000 pages!). I might retire my 1996 K1100RS soon but looking for a replacement. In the running is a V-Strom, the Tenere or the F800GT or maybe another suggestion. I have seen many a V-Strom out there but looking at the Tenere is new for me. I am not interested in too much off road and it has to have the ability to have highway pegs installed. (Broke my right leg and I have to straighten it out on long rides). So to those who own or have owned what is your take on it? (I did read a few posts involving discussion on vibrations and not having a good out come.)

To sum up the last 1,000 pages it's a bunch of bored happy Tenere owners.
NO break downs. Some loose spokes, weeping fork seals misc personal adjustments
that's about it.

You have to realize this is a Tenere thread and owners tend to praise whatever they ride.
Tenere people tend to put this bike on their top favorite list. I generalize, but I've also followed
the full thread and own one due to all the positive owner feedback.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #17335
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Adjusting rear suspension rebound

Is there a special tool to help turn the grey knob at the bottom of the rear shock? It's too hard to turn by hand, not to mention that I can't get my hand in there. Help.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #17336
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Is there a special tool to help turn the grey knob at the bottom of the rear shock? It's too hard to turn by hand, not to mention that I can't get my hand in there. Help.
The general procedure is to put the bike on the centerstand, lay down beside it with feet facing rearward, and reach in there from the bottom... the rebound adjuster is right above the dogbones. I have big hands, but have no issue at all getting a good grip on the adjusting ring. It should turn relatively easily; if not, your shock has a problem. As motorcycle suspension adjustments go, this is one of the easier ones.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #17337
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I'd rather adjust the suspension than have to remove the ECU.
It's good there isn't much reason to get to it because it's sure buried in there
and the one allen bolt hidden in the inside fairing was thoughtful of mother Yamaha.

Anyway, I pulled it out tonight to get the reflash upgrade from AF-1. (hands rubbing)

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #17338
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The general procedure is to put the bike on the centerstand, lay down beside it with feet facing rearward, and reach in there from the bottom... the rebound adjuster is right above the dogbones. I have big hands, but have no issue at all getting a good grip on the adjusting ring. It should turn relatively easily; if not, your shock has a problem. As motorcycle suspension adjustments go, this is one of the easier ones.

- Mark

Thanks for the advise. I'll try that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #17339
lewisclarke
Lewis

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogs View Post

There is a Super Tenere Forum where riders are even more biased...

...but I bought one last May, put 5000 miles on it riding small twisty roads all the way to Canada and back and had a real good time. My 3rd street bike ever. All good for the first 8000+ miles.
lewisclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #17340
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
To sum up the last 1,000 pages it's a bunch of bored happy Tenere owners.
NO break downs. Some loose spokes, weeping fork seals misc personal adjustments
that's about it.

You have to realize this is a Tenere thread and owners tend to praise whatever they ride.
Tenere people tend to put this bike on their top favorite list. I generalize, but I've also followed
the full thread and own one due to all the positive owner feedback.
So, for full disclosure, I've just had a couple of fabulous Brash Item Nines at a favorite watering hole here - but I have to say you're dead on Pluric. I ride this bike for the same reason I've driven Toyota Land Cruisers for years - it is the best tool, barnone, for the job. All this stuff about the latest and greatest electronic wizardry and gadgetry on new Euro bikes - to have to deal with that shit when it goes tits up in the middle of nowhere - are you kidding? There's a reason a Jap built truck is preferred by people all around the world, living and working in remote places. The Super Tenere is its equivalent.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote