ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
nerdtastic_89 OP
awkward hippy
 
nerdtastic_89's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Oddometer: 15
Removing bad kreem job/ fuel repair shop NE GA

Being the noob that I am, I have no real idea where to start finding a trusted fuel repair shop that works on motorcycles willing to tackle the mess that is my tank. Besides the obvious rust in there, a botched kreem job was done and I wanted to try and see if it can be saved so I don't have to buy a new tank. Wanted yalls opinion before I tried to yellow page it. I live in Athens Ga, 30606 willing to travel up to an hour or so out of my area.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
__________________
Having awkward profanity laced conversations with myself since 1989!
nerdtastic_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 13,333
I'm pretty sure acetone will remove Kreem. Once that's all out, get a POR-15 kit and re-coat it. Don't get any of the chemicals on the outside of the tank.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
nerdtastic_89 OP
awkward hippy
 
nerdtastic_89's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I'm pretty sure acetone will remove Kreem. Once that's all out, get a POR-15 kit and re-coat it. Don't get any of the chemicals on the outside of the tank.

Gotta find somebody to do that for me. Because I have NOOOO idea what I'm doing.
__________________
Having awkward profanity laced conversations with myself since 1989!
nerdtastic_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
JGBrown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JGBrown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtastic_89 View Post
Gotta find somebody to do that for me. Because I have NOOOO idea what I'm doing.
It's like putting gas in the tank, only you use acetone instead.
If you've gone for a ride and filled the tank, you've got half of the job covered already.
Maybe find someone local to help you, so you learn how to do it? Somebody showed me the first time, and it was pretty easy to follow.
Though we used some other steps to dissolve the rust after. And shook the tank a lot.
__________________
Canada to Panama on a 79 CX500: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62962
Logbook for
motorcycle travelers I'm developing, draft now available for review.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739193

JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
achtung3
Studly Adventurer
 
achtung3's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Central Coast California
Oddometer: 973
Go and buy a kreem kit from the motorcycle shop or elsewhere that you can find it and read the instructions it is pretty straight forward, there is solution in the kit that you use to paint the outside of the tank to avoid messing up your paint, and you can call kreem and ask them the removal part of it.

I have a mechanic who just called me about my tank being rust removed, and I will pick it up in the next hour, he is using electrolysis to remove the rust, this has been just over 3 weeks.



Picked up my tank and it is awesome, the tank looks almost good as new, all the rust is pretty much gone.
The prior onwer of this bike had poured muriatic acid inside and then done nothing and it was sitting in a car port rusting away for almost 30yrs when I got it.

achtung3 screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 08:29 PM
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer
 
Gallowbraid's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Clarkesville, GA
Oddometer: 833
If you find a shop that works on radiators they can usually dip the tank and get it all cleaned up for you, often times preserving the paint on the exterior was well (don't ask me how.)

If you're willing to travel a bit there's a radiator shop on Airport Road between Baldwin and Cornelia (about 35 minutes north of Athens) that cleaned up a tank for a buddy of mine one time:

Williams Radiator
1047 Airport Rd Cornelia, GA 30531
(706) 778-6141
__________________
You might be a KLR owner if:

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
Go and buy a kreem kit from the motorcycle shop or elsewhere that you can find it and read the instructions it is pretty straight forward, there is solution in the kit that you use to paint the outside of the tank to avoid messing up your paint, and you can call kreem and ask them the removal part of it.

I have a mechanic who just called me about my tank being rust removed, and I will pick it up in the next hour, he is using electrolysis to remove the rust, this has been just over 3 weeks.
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
achtung3
Studly Adventurer
 
achtung3's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Central Coast California
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.
I still have a new kit in my garage!!!!!!
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.

Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.
__________________
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2002 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000, Midnight Blue
2005 Kawasaki KLR685 - Turd II.2, The ReReTurdening
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.
From what I've been hearing, POR-15 isn't recommended for plastic tanks, but Caswell is.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
nerdtastic_89 OP
awkward hippy
 
nerdtastic_89's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowbraid View Post
If you find a shop that works on radiators they can usually dip the tank and get it all cleaned up for you, often times preserving the paint on the exterior was well (don't ask me how.)

If you're willing to travel a bit there's a radiator shop on Airport Road between Baldwin and Cornelia (about 35 minutes north of Athens) that cleaned up a tank for a buddy of mine one time:

Williams Radiator
1047 Airport Rd Cornelia, GA 30531
(706) 778-6141
You sir, are absolutely awesome! I've traveled further to stare at lakes and eat ice cream. So this is a piece of cake.
__________________
Having awkward profanity laced conversations with myself since 1989!
nerdtastic_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
nerdtastic_89 OP
awkward hippy
 
nerdtastic_89's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Oddometer: 15
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.
At this point, I really just want to punch Kreem in the face. And whomever did this half-assed job of it. I'm over Kreem and rust. Out of my tank they must go!
__________________
Having awkward profanity laced conversations with myself since 1989!
nerdtastic_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
LarryDawg
trials nut
 
LarryDawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
Oddometer: 74
Mek

Methyl Ethyl Ketone is what is used to disolve Kreem, I have it in the tank of my old honda Trialer...
Larry
__________________
"you dont quit riding Cuz' ya got Old!!! Ya get Old Cuz' ya quit riding!!!
1976 Honda TL 250 (Dozer!)
LarryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,648
If I have a tank I'm going to repaint, it goes to a commercial paint stripping company. It comes back bright steel, no paint, no rust. They also do a great job on home heat registers with many coats of old paint.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
From what I've been hearing, POR-15 isn't recommended for plastic tanks, but Caswell is.
Who said anything about a plastic tank?


Anything that would dissolve Kreem (we seem to have votes for both acetone and MEK here; dunno which is better or correct) would also run the risk of damaging a plastic tank, so you'd need to consult a polymer chemist...

But yeah, I know the POR15 stuff is rock-hard when it sets up, so it would be a pretty bad idea with a plastic tank for that reason alone. I haven't seen a sample of the cured Caswell stuff.
__________________
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2002 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000, Midnight Blue
2005 Kawasaki KLR685 - Turd II.2, The ReReTurdening
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014