Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
thelastknowngod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I thought we would be riding into ghettos, abandoned buildings, trash dumps and parking lots.
There definitely is that in South Jersey but I'd say the majority of the area is protected woodlands and farms. That being said, it does still have the highest population density in the country so take that with a grain of salt. IIRC, it does has the largest amounts of protected land per-capita though.

North Jersey gives South Jersey a bad rep.. They may as well be two different planets.
thelastknowngod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,091
Day 1 Ends

The day ends with a ride onto the sand.

Some nice scenery. No lack of fresh water in this place! A word to the wise...do not drop into unknown puddles on around here. Some are augured out pretty hard, and you'll need a crane to get out. Also, the more orange to ground looks the harder packed the sand is. Lastly, the conditions wildly vary. Jack send pre-riders out to make sure the track was rideable, and adjusted fire accordingly.

Some bad techniques which will get better on day 2

And some vid of a "cheater" on an HP2 with a 21" front rim

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,698
I can't say I like riding in the sand at this point but I seem to get through it reasonably well...the same thing happened to me at the BMW class and everybody kept wondering why I didn't have problems like they did. I guess I try to stay loose and not fight the bike and stay on the gas to keep my momentum up...so far it seems to be working. I don't think I could do it at speed but maybe some day I will able to.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Glad you started the thread. I was there too: PJ / Philip. British guy on the Sertao.

Had lots of fun.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
When the bike stalls out, grab the front brake and put it in first. Now get off the bike (which is tricky while you are on a hill with no kickstand). While standing on the uphill side, lean the bike into your hip. Crank the handle bars to one direction. Release the clutch and let it roll. Now that it is about 15 degrees to the hill, you need to work the handle bars back and forth until you get the bike slightly lower than perpendicular to the hill. Then get on and ride off.
Certainly sounds "challenging".
Usually if you stop while climbing a hill, the front wheel gets almost no traction when using the brake (depending on what your riding on) and will slide downhill.
Since you stalled, you would already be in gear. Letting the clutch out should hold the bike in place. The downhill wheel is the best for braking becasue the weight of the bike helps improve the traction.
The technique described works well if you remain on the bike. Lean towards the side your most comfortable with (or have room to turn to) normally the left so you can work the rear brake. Using the clutch and rear brake back down hill turning to the side you are leaning. Once perpendicular to the hill, work the bars as described and head back down the hill.

I wasn't at the class and everyone has something different that works for them...What I described has worked for me a number of times... but so has laying the bike over on it's side and pulling the uphill wheel around
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,971
Ahh
my favorite video

[QUOTE=Dorito;21294860]Exercise 6: Failed Hill Ascent
I imagine that you are on a hill, and you don't quite crest it. What should you do? Well, that largely depends on who you are. You could try this method, which we learned at the BMW performance center. We call it "Domino"...

IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,091
The start of Day 2

We rallied the horses and our day began with a quick lesson on getting through sand followed by a “rules of the road” rider briefing. As most of us had checked out of the hotel, we dropped the luggage. We had loaded the GPS' with 3 files of +/- 90 miles of blueberries, cranberry bogs, sand traps and fun. However, we ultimately didn’t need it as there were 15 students, 2 instructors, 2 catch-riders and Jack following with the truck trailer.

While there were certainly dusty sections of track, I did find some relief from it by altering speed/distance from other riders. With that many riders, we were bound to spread out. Way out. So, we did the Michigan trail rule. The 2nd rider of the pack stops at a turn until the last catch rider appears. He then joins the back of the pack. This continues to cycle through all rider in a day. The nice part about this is the fast guys end up having to pick up turtled bikes too, instead of just the same few people. The bad part is it tends to upset the natural order of flow, since the rate of the pack now depends on the slowest bike.

The instructors rode all day through the pack, but one on formal lesson for the day. We stopped to admire the Cedar Alley and learned a bit about the horticulture of the Pine Barrens. It did strike me odd that there were cedar trees among all the pines. Apparently, a decent chunk of the cedars were destroyed in early 1800s for the boat making trade. We also learned that even wet pine needles can be stuffed in your shirt to keep you warm (in the event you are stranded overnight). Basically, the same principle with newspapers for a hobo.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote