Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #17341
Moondogs
Moondog

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
To sum up the last 1,000 pages it's a bunch of bored happy Tenere owners.
NO break downs. Some loose spokes, weeping fork seals misc personal adjustments
that's about it.

You have to realize this is a Tenere thread and owners tend to praise whatever they ride.
Tenere people tend to put this bike on their top favorite list. I generalize, but I've also followed
the full thread and own one due to all the positive owner feedback.
Well I figured that but most people will be honest with their assessment. I posted the same question over at the BMWMOA site and they told me to come over here... figures...
Moondogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #17342
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,406
Got Jesse's?

PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #17343
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogs View Post
Well I figured that but most people will be honest with their assessment. I posted the same question over at the BMWMOA site and they told me to come over here... figures...
You have to ride them...

Admittedly I did not test ride a GS but I did try the Triumph Explorer, nice bike but it wasn't what I was looking for.

But when I tried the Tenere I knew as soon as I rolled the bike and did some figure 8's in the parking lot that this was the bike I was looking for, a 7 mile test ride sealed the deal for me.
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #17344
thebrown
likes beer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
So this thread started in Feb. of 2008 so forgive me guys and gals that I don't read all the postings (over 1000 pages!). I might retire my 1996 K1100RS soon but looking for a replacement. In the running is a V-Strom, the Tenere or the F800GT or maybe another suggestion. I have seen many a V-Strom out there but looking at the Tenere is new for me. I am not interested in too much off road and it has to have the ability to have highway pegs installed. (Broke my right leg and I have to straighten it out on long rides). So to those who own or have owned what is your take on it? (I did read a few posts involving discussion on vibrations and not having a good out come.)

BTW, new to the site, howdy all :)
howdy
if your off road requirements are minimal the new fjr1300 is awesome, but can you get highway pegs??
but of the three you mention my ownership bias says xt1200z
the strom has a great motor, the bmw's a capable bike from what i've heard
but the 45000km on mine say i didnt make a bad choice ranging from commuting to bouncing the big girl down and up 4wd tracks
thebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #17345
thebrown
likes beer

Quote:
vibrations ?

)
what vibrations?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #17346
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I bought this tenere to replace my FJR as my sport touring bike. I like the longer leg room, 6th gear and softer suspension for pot hole ridden roads. I loved my FJR, but am more comfortable on the super tenere.
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #17347
thebrown
likes beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider View Post
I bought this tenere to replace my FJR as my sport touring bike. I like the longer leg room, 6th gear and softer suspension for pot hole ridden roads. I loved my FJR, but am more comfortable on the super tenere.
i'm going to try the longer leg room on the fjr with the high seat position in the morning cos i know what you mean, but the new fjr is pretty f'in improved i reckon after a few hundred k's on some pretty potholed roads (that i know where most potholes are)

tenere does do it well a lot cheaper though.... oh and the 6th gear thing too
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #17348
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'd rather adjust the suspension than have to remove the ECU.
It's good there isn't much reason to get to it because it's sure buried in there
and the one allen bolt hidden in the inside fairing was thoughtful of mother Yamaha.

Anyway, I pulled it out tonight to get the reflash upgrade from AF-1. (hands rubbing)
I just stopped putting that bolt back in...

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #17349
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I just stopped putting that bolt back in...

ac
Ahh, weight savings. I get it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #17350
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Took my new bike for a spin after I picked it up, verdict: need shorty screen, foam grips since 12 hours later my hands are still sore otherwise a fantastic bike!
Just a question: why make a bike that weight almost a ton with a plastic gear rack that can not hold many pounds, does not make sense on a touring bike.
Jealous at people that think this bike is smooth and got no bad vibrations, wish you could feel my hands at the moment but I`m confident with some engine break in and some adjustments it will be better in the future.
Overall better bike than I thought it would be, great in the bends and good power.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #17351
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Took my new bike for a spin after I picked it up, verdict: need shorty screen, foam grips since 12 hours later my hands are still sore otherwise a fantastic bike!
Just a question: why make a bike that weight almost a ton with a plastic gear rack that can not hold many pounds, does not make sense on a touring bike.
Jealous at people that think this bike is smooth and got no bad vibrations, wish you could feel my hands at the moment but I`m confident with some engine break in and some adjustments it will be better in the future.
Overall better bike than I thought it would be, great in the bends and good power.
I generally ride wearing bicycle full finger gel gloves. They're light form fit great and have
gel inserts in the palm. Use the fingerless when it heats up.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #17352
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Congrats on your new bike.

The vibes should get better, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

One thing that exacerbates the vibe problem on a new S10 is Yamaha's ridiculous "avoid prolonged operation above 3900 RPM" break-in recommendation. Conservative riders tend to interpret this basically as keeping the revs below 3900 almost all the time, and the bike isn't terribly happy, especially in stock tune, to take a lot of throttle below 3500. It smooths out greatly above 4K.

If you follow this guideline at all, I'd interpret "prolonged" to mean that you can rev the engine freely during acceleration, just don't cruise on the freeway for a long time above the limit.

Another thing I've noticed is that the S10, perhaps due to the crossplane crank since the crossplane R1 behaves similarly, tends to vibe more with increased throttle rather than increased RPM, so making your power through RPM rather than throttle opening also reduces vibes in general. The only time I notice my S10 vibing much is bucking into a strong headwind or climbing grades at moderate speeds in high gear. Cruising at 90 mph with a tailwind is eerily smooth, like the motor isn't even there.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #17353
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
It's almost like Yamaha didn't want to put much into that rack - they knew the aftermarket would take care of it. Some very cool, beautifully made racks have been designed for this bike.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #17354
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Congrats on your new bike.

The vibes should get better, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

One thing that exacerbates the vibe problem on a new S10 is Yamaha's ridiculous "avoid prolonged operation above 3900 RPM" break-in recommendation. Conservative riders tend to interpret this basically as keeping the revs below 3900 almost all the time, and the bike isn't terribly happy, especially in stock tune, to take a lot of throttle below 3500. It smooths out greatly above 4K.

If you follow this guideline at all, I'd interpret "prolonged" to mean that you can rev the engine freely during acceleration, just don't cruise on the freeway for a long time above the limit.

Another thing I've noticed is that the S10, perhaps due to the crossplane crank since the crossplane R1 behaves similarly, tends to vibe more with increased throttle rather than increased RPM, so making your power through RPM rather than throttle opening also reduces vibes in general. The only time I notice my S10 vibing much is bucking into a strong headwind or climbing grades at moderate speeds in high gear. Cruising at 90 mph with a tailwind is eerily smooth, like the motor isn't even there.

- Mark
Mark I would agree with your observations about the S10. The bike is much smoother above 4k rpm. I basically came to same working definition of "prolonged" as you and rode during break in just as you described.

Clint
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #17355
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Sync your throttle bodies, mine was a night and day difference after that. It's free and helps smooth things out.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote