User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #2671
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,282
Haven't worked on the Sprinter today.. but it did keep $7000+ worth of mountabikes safe & secure while we had breakfast and then busted our arses at Hall Ranch

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #2672
LemurPilot
Nugget

Oddometer: 268
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

...then Lemur Pilot dropped by (he has a Sprinter too) and we spent the next 5 hours running around like two excited little girls brainstorming&comparing notes with where we are headed with our van builds

So that's all I got done for the day
Ed, I got fired up after that afternoon. Lots of new plans, especially the heater.
I then realized I haven't posted pics of my stealth camper. So here goes:

It has to be the sounds that go in first. I build a box a put the bass tube under the passenger seat. It gives passengers a new dimension in music.

I drilled out holes for the tweeters in the doors, it aims the treble right at the ears.

I went for this stuff because it holds out fires well, or in!

It cuts well and you can see I've put dynamat all over the place too. It really makes a difference.

Started building panels and building cabinets. I chose wood because that's what I'm used to.

Sort of finished. But after a few trips I decided I need more storage. I wanted to keep the CG low and not build up high but I'm gonna fold and build top cabinets. Solar is coming as well, I have one house battery and it's just not enough. So I'm gonna copy Ed's set-up.

I thought the roof liner was going to be OK. It's terrible for insulation so I took the roof apart and foamed it green. Surprisingly easy and fun. It was cold when I did it, so I built an umbilical to my garage to keep the van warm. It helps the foam stick.

Drop cloths everywhere, this stuff is sticky.

Then trim of the drippy bits with a saw blade.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #2673
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'd love it if you'd keep posting updates as you work mate.. it helps keep me inspired too

I got my right overhead box started... dealing with "egg shape" issues again. Pics to come.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #2674
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Geek and LemurPilot,
You two are pissing my wife off something fierce.
I don't own a Sprinter but my NV2500 has been on the receiving end of some of your ideas and inspiration.
Keep posting your progress reports to help me keep my wife's blood pressure up.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #2675
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Paul: I meant to ask you when you were over the other day; How do you deal with your length for sleeping?
You are 6'2 or 6'3ish? Your bed would have to extend into the doorway for your feet not to hang off.

I showed you how I built my cabinets with footwells so you can't tell the bed is longer than it looks...

Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #2676
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,576
I love the lamp, and the tile backsplash!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #2677
Geek OP
oot & aboot

So I started to work on the passenger side overhead cabinet again.

I was not happy with the not-vertical plane so I planned to step it in and keep all line parallel.
Typical of working with the egg-shape of the van, you need to kind of guess at one or two measurements to get your starting point, and then build off of that cutting each piece to a custom length.

This cabinet would be more of a challenge than the drivers side because with my choice to extend it into the door way mean that 3 sides would be visible and need to be finished.

I put 4 rivnuts in the roof spar and built the face plate - this plate is to be square and parallel with the other side so at least one of its dimensions are pre defined.. but it turns out my guess on the other was wrong - more on that to come

Standing in the back looking forward.. deciding if I'm happy with the spacing/width/feel. You can see that "sloped" piece that I'd stuck in last week that I don't like in the doorway

I removed the sloped structure and had a starting point

Framed out the new door piece

..and started playing with fit

If you compare the photo above with this photo you might see just a little bit of a twist in the structure (hard to tell with lens distortion

...sure enough, my initial guess on vertical measurement didn't take into account the twist in the rail that is fastened to the side of the van - and I ended up a few millimeters too long - so the entire thing has a twist.

I get to take the entire thing apart again, take a few millimeters off of the vertical lengths, re-tap those pieces, and then reassemble the entire thing again.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #2678
Giggity

Oddometer: 744
When will this Sprinter Build Off be airing on Discovery?
Giggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #2679
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Question Which bits?

Hey Geek,

I want to build a high cabinet with 80/20. I have downloaded the 80/20 catalogue. There is a LOT of stuff in there. Since your solution looks nice and simple...and effective...would you be willing to share your parts list? All I want to do is a 36" wide enclosed cabinet up behind the driver's seat. I'll make it big enough to stow a helmet and other random crap.

How did you fit the cabinet doors? There's only one groove. Do the doors slot in the groove opposite ways?

Thanks a lot.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #2680
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I've no idea the part numbers.. I just buy sticks and cut them how I want them. The catalogue is a bit confusing at first.. but spend some time learning what the numbers mean and you can figure out what you want easily.

Try their ebay store - that's where I ordered most of mine from.

I'm using 15 series - LS finish (light and smooth).
The curved corner knobs are like part number 4242 or something (don't quote me on that) they were $22 each.

They actually have sliding door tracks that fit in the 8020 channel and then have the 3 grooves in them. I posted details back in this thread when I built them.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #2681
LemurPilot
Nugget

Oddometer: 268
Bed

I'm 6'3" Ed and fit perfectly up to the door. That left bed, as you look at the picture, is exactly right for me. I found a 4" layer of memory foam on the cushions helps when you sleep on slightly sloping ground. You just nest down and stop rolling.

$12 from Marshalls, that lamp. That scotch next to it was 5 times that and the lamp is still here!

I'll keep up on the posts, yeah, it goes both ways.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #2682
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Thumb Got it...

Thanks. That is helpful and gives me a start. I'll be able to figure it out from there along with your photos. Thanks a lot, Ed.

~ap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I've no idea the part numbers.. I just buy sticks and cut them how I want them. The catalogue is a bit confusing at first.. but spend some time learning what the numbers mean and you can figure out what you want easily.

Try their ebay store - that's where I ordered most of mine from.

I'm using 15 series - LS finish (light and smooth).
The curved corner knobs are like part number 4242 or something (don't quote me on that) they were $22 each.

They actually have sliding door tracks that fit in the 8020 channel and then have the 3 grooves in them. I posted details back in this thread when I built them.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary

FreeTheBeast screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 01:56 PM Reason: added a little more syntax
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #2683
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Amazing build Geek. Waiting for the 4x4 to hit Canada.

Question, I might have missed it but do you have a spot for a shore line plug in so you don't have to use batteries?
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #2684
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 566
Vans first trip

[IMG]IMGP0033[/IMG]

We got away this weekend in our new Van. Fort Ebey State Park on Whidbey Island. Very impressed with the Van. Nice not to have to set up a tent. Thanks for your help with the wheels Geek. Went with the 245 BFG's.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #2685
Geek OP
oot & aboot

It looks great!

This just arrived....