ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #7666
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I think you can use this to replace the diamond-shaped piece if you want to be a little more secure.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx
The part you linked above is what you need to attach the Rugged Mount to the Ram arm. The Rugged Mount has four holes so the two hole Ram parts won't work properly.

Click the image below to see the part on the GPSCity site.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #7667
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can't do much without some kind of computer but some people use their smartphones or tablet computers to do some of what you're asking for.

I like the idea of having a backup uSD card with my maps, tracks and routes on it, as well as manuals and other information I might need like the manual for my Scala radios. I keep that backup card taped to my Montana's battery.

Since I currently don't have the uSD card inserted, and all my data is on the internal memory... Can you please walk me through how I can put all the same data onto the uSD card? Tracks for example.

Then how does the Montana pick between looking at the internal memory vs. the uSD. For example if you have somehow backed up identical Tracks (same names) onto the uSD card, and you are out on the trail with the uSD NOT in the Montana... and your Montana has some kind of crash, then you insert the uSD and will it automatically just find the Tracks on the uSD?

What if some Track files are on both with the same name? Just don't understand it without experimenting and don't have time...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #7668
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Since I currently don't have the uSD card inserted, and all my data is on the internal memory... Can you please walk me through how I can put all the same data onto the uSD card? Tracks for example.

Then how does the Montana pick between looking at the internal memory vs. the uSD. For example if you have somehow backed up identical Tracks (same names) onto the uSD card, and you are out on the trail with the uSD NOT in the Montana... and your Montana has some kind of crash, then you insert the uSD and will it automatically just find the Tracks on the uSD?

What if some Track files are on both with the same name? Just don't understand it without experimenting and don't have time...
I have no idea what would happen if you had the same tracks/routes/waypoints duplicated on the Montana and the uSD card, but I don't think it would prevent the gps from running. I also don't think it would help anything. Why would you not just use the uSD card for all those things? The cards are so cheap these days that it just doesn't make sense not to have a few kicking around with all your maps/routes/tracks/waypoints, to ensure reliability.

The gps will always record tracks to internal memory, though.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #7669
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
That is a great idea to carry an extra card. I especially like the idea of having service info on the card. It would probably be nice to be able to read the service manual for your bike by borrowing someones computer when out in the boonies!

Thanks!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #7670
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

The Montana simply reads and indexes the data that is on the device (including the µSD Card). So, if you have duplicated data on the µSD you will see duplicate data in the applicable apps (Waypoint Mgr, Track Mgr, Route Planner, etc.). The only time the Montana does any "filtering" of data is if you have transferred Routes and the Waypoints they use to the internal storage. In this scenario the Montana will only place the applicable Waypoint from the Route into the Waypoint Manager if it does not already exist.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #7671
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
On a related note, what is the 'proper' way to transfer waypoints, etc.... from Basecamp to the Montana so as not to duplicate items? I'm trying to keep my waypoints 'in the cloud' in basecamp, but it seems every time I try to transfer them to/from the Montana I end up with duplicates.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #7672
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
On a related note, what is the 'proper' way to transfer waypoints, etc.... from Basecamp to the Montana so as not to duplicate items? I'm trying to keep my waypoints 'in the cloud' in basecamp, but it seems every time I try to transfer them to/from the Montana I end up with duplicates.
Please read my reply above again for understanding. BaseCamp does not do any "filtering" of data that is Imported to your "My Collection". That is your job. So if you're repeatedly transferring the same Waypoints to the Montana and back to BaseCamp you are going to have duplicates. If this is something you do regularly then you might do as I do and only Import into a new List. From there you can decide which "version(s)" of the Waypoint(s) you keep.

The search in the coming v4.2 of BaseCamp is getting some development attention and can find results within your own data - keeping in mind that all searches are currently geographical from the center of the map in view.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #7673
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Having got a few weeks of quality time on the montana... I've found a few pet peeves.

The biggest one is that when I'm panning around on the map, why can't I do a "find" ("where to") near where I'm panning? I run into this constantly and it's pretty frustrating. Seems like all it would take is a "where to" in the menu when panning...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #7674
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Having got a few weeks of quality time on the montana... I've found a few pet peeves.

The biggest one is that when I'm panning around on the map, why can't I do a "find" ("where to") near where I'm panning? I run into this constantly and it's pretty frustrating. Seems like all it would take is a "where to" in the menu when panning...
You can do this but you need to go to "Where To" first. One of the choices is "On a map" or something similar. I don't have my Montana with me so I can't check it, but it is there...

Got my Montana now - go to "Where To", select "Menu", "Search Near" then "A Map Point" or any of the other three selections, "A Recent Find", "A Waypoint" or "My Current Location".

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 04:30 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #7675
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can do this but you need to go to "Where To" first. One of the choices is "On a map" or something similar. I don't have my Montana with me so I can't check it, but it is there...

Got my Montana now - go to "Where To", select "Menu", "Search Near" then "A Map Point" or any of the other three selections, "A Recent Find", "A Waypoint" or "My Current Location".
Actually, "Use Map" only shows if you are already navigating a Route and want to add a Via Point. I agree with SteveAZ, this is a needed addition to the "Where To" searches: along with "Along Active Route".

P.S, Of course, the better workflow on the Montana is to use one of the per-made Where To apps for the service you want to search for: e.g, Lodging. The workflow would be press the Where To "Lodging" app icon on your Main Menu. Then press the Options button and select "Search Near"->"A Map Point". Done.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 07:56 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #7676
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I seem to be doing something wrong here and though I am sure there is a very simple solution..I cannot find it. I Create a route in Basecamp. It auto routes for me. Then I transfer to the unit and the "route" is 1 straight line or a series of straight lines. I believe I am looking for a "auto route" button on the unit itself but all I see is activity profiles and "direct Routing". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #7677
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I seem to be doing something wrong here and though I am sure there is a very simple solution..I cannot find it. I Create a route in Basecamp. It auto routes for me. Then I transfer to the unit and the "route" is 1 straight line or a series of straight lines. I believe I am looking for a "auto route" button on the unit itself but all I see is activity profiles and "direct Routing". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you configure your Routing Settings on the Montana similar to the Routing settings in BaseCamp (i.e, the same Activity and Avoidances) you should find that the Montana will behave the way you expect it to.

In this case you used an Along-road Routing Activity in BaseCamp to create your Route. It would appear from your description that you have your Montana Routing Activity set to Direct Routing. Try using the Automotive Activity or Motorcycle Activity and see what your Route does then.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #7678
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you configure your Routing Settings on the Montana similar to the Routing settings in BaseCamp (i.e, the same Activity and Avoidances) you should find that the Montana will behave the way you expect it to.

In this case you used an Along-road Routing Activity in BaseCamp to create your Route. It would appear from your description that you have your Montana Routing Activity set to Direct Routing. Try using the Automotive Activity or Motorcycle Activity and see what your Route does then.
Thanks Dan. I will look into that. I ride a dual sport bike so I try to get dirt>pavement most of the time but the auto route likes to decide where I should go. I was having trouble changing the auto route to go where I want instead so maybe this is the culprit as well. Appreciate your time.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #7679
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Do you have routable maps installed?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #7680
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Do you have routable maps installed?
24k Topo and City Nav