Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #17356
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Cheers, nice to not be alone with the vibe issue. Yes been told by a friend that sync the throttle bodies help a bit, work shop job? Just installed foam grips which is my first farkle which I will try out shortly.
Did order a really tough gear rack made in USA which will look great.
Regarding break in, my B-King I broke in the Motoman way, this one will be somewhere in between, so far only used S mode and been riding it just "normal" and avoiding the same speed but varied the throttle through the gears.
Will dump the factory oil before 200 km (125 miles) and then dump next as per scheduled maintenance.
Ride safe!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #17357
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
One thing that exacerbates the vibe problem on a new S10 is Yamaha's ridiculous "avoid prolonged operation above 3900 RPM" break-in recommendation. Conservative riders tend to interpret this basically as keeping the revs below 3900 almost all the time, and the bike isn't terribly happy, especially in stock tune, to take a lot of throttle below 3500. It smooths out greatly above 4K.

If you follow this guideline at all, I'd interpret "prolonged" to mean that you can rev the engine freely during acceleration, just don't cruise on the freeway for a long time above the limit.

Another thing I've noticed is that the S10, perhaps due to the crossplane crank since the crossplane R1 behaves similarly, tends to vibe more with increased throttle rather than increased RPM, so making your power through RPM rather than throttle opening also reduces vibes in general. The only time I notice my S10 vibing much is bucking into a strong headwind or climbing grades at moderate speeds in high gear. Cruising at 90 mph with a tailwind is eerily smooth, like the motor isn't even there.

- Mark
+1.

Had the opportunity in the last 4300Km of often dead straight slab to get prolonged periods at different revs. The bike was always a bit vibey at 4K. So I sat around there for about 500Km. It smoothed it out a bit believe it or not.

Anyway, I did have a DL1000 in the shed for a while at the same time, and if I started to get a bit whiny I just jumped in that for a while. That soon shut me up.

The Tedium motor is really sweet. (No it doesn't make enough HP to get the Brits excited). I would be really interested in an XT900Z if it ever comes along.

So in the end 2 x 600cc pots is going to be a bit of a hassle on the power to manage a very big overlapping pulse. And when the motor is tight those pulses are a bit bigger just to overcome friction. At about 6,000Kkm the motor is on the lower edge of the run in curve.

Get cracking..

The little strom is one of those nice small twins, with nice small cylinders. I had an SV for a while and again while it's not a big HP bike the motor was quite a little sweety. It's just marketing being marketing Suzuki are not going to put out a sophisticated chassis to go with it and jack the price up to 15K at any point. Which is a pitty really.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #17358
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Just came in from a ride.
Did not notice that the foam grips helped any.
Will do the throttle body sync soon.
Took it on some dirt roads, never had an ABS bike before and my mate with a GSA always turn it off but man this system works great same as the TC, feels like I`m cheating when riding on dirt roads, can ride quite a bit faster than my DL650 on dirt!
Seems to be a difficult bike to put heavier end bar weights? The stock ones only weigh 200 grams, will be looking for different ones might have to modify the handlebar?
Wonder how Nick Sanders could ride this machine 80K k`s with human hands instead of prosthetic rubber hands... They must smooth out the more k`s (miles) you put on the clock.
The new triple R1 & Adventure bikes (if it will be made) will be interesting in this regard since the Triumph`s triples seems to be smooth.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #17359
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
To sum up the last 1,000 pages it's a bunch of bored happy Tenere owners.
NO break downs. Some loose spokes, weeping fork seals misc personal adjustments
that's about it.

You have to realize this is a Tenere thread and owners tend to praise whatever they ride.
Tenere people tend to put this bike on their top favorite list. I generalize, but I've also followed
the full thread and own one due to all the positive owner feedback.
Shit dude....as the guy who picked up his bike a couple of times on that hill.......

You've spent more money on rebuilding your wheels than I've spent on several bikes.......it's at least 3 times now that I know about.....that is all......

Oh, BTW.....further proof that it isn't the bike...it's the rider and the ride......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 09:56 PM Reason: correcting the shithead...
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #17360
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Shit dude....as the guy who picked up his bike a couple of times on that hill.......

You've spent more money on rebuilding your wheels than I've spent on several bikes.......it's at least 3 times now that I know about.....that is all......

Oh, BTW.....further proof that it isn't the bike...it's the rider and the ride......
Guilty as charged. Most know my history of ahh, rim issues? Three times on the front and
ended up replacing the rear. However it doesn't seem to be a trend with these bikes. I know
of a couple other rim dings on the Tenere.

Mild section of the White Rim trail did in the GS 1200 front wheel. I wouldn't judge all GS's
by that either.

From what I've seen your KTM has a better chance of getting damaged banging into
the other bike on the trailer.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #17361
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Guilty as charged. Most know my history of ahh, rim issues? Three times on the front and
ended up replacing the rear. However it doesn't seem to be a trend with these bikes. I know
of a couple other rim dings on the Tenere.

Mild section of the White Rim trail did in the GS 1200 front wheel. I wouldn't judge all GS's
by that either.

From what I've seen your KTM has a better chance of getting damaged banging into
the other bike on the trailer
Somewhat guilty as charged....I spent my youth in college and working...didn't start riding dirt till I turned 50....so I'm here for a good time, not to stroke my ego....

BTW, cast wheels of any brand will fold like that easily......as anyone knows.....but most spokers hold up much better than the Butterfaced Yammie wheels on the S10....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #17362
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Somewhat guilty as charged....I spent my youth in college and working...didn't start riding dirt till I turned 50....so I'm here for a good time, not to stroke my ego....

BTW, cast wheels of any brand will fold like that easily......as anyone knows.....but most spokers hold up much better than the Butterfaced Yammie wheels on the S10....
The one given on the internet is how everyone is an authority on everything.

(before anyone gets it wrong Walrus is a fellow Utard and shit flipping is the norm over in Utardia no harm no foul)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #17363
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,426
Since the KTM pictured above has a tubed tire and was likely still holding air, I can only assume it was stopped due to a bad fuel pump or water pump or mysterious electrical gremlin, etc...
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #17364
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
The one given on the internet is how everyone is an authority on everything.

(before anyone gets it wrong Walrus is a fellow Utard and shit flipping is the norm over in Utardia no harm no foul)

And that tire is still holding air.......thanks to the tubed design......like a real dirt bike....
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #17365
pluric
Banned

Now Anti, let's not get all smug about our Teneres. What about that off idle hiccup and the
optimistic speedo??? The shame of it all.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #17366
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
And that tire is still holding air.......thanks to the tubed design......like a real dirt bike....
Lost count of the amount of flats on the last event I went on. None had anything to do with rims, just everything else ..
No flats on the tubeless until rims were bent.

I assume now that a tubed tubeless design would be the go.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #17367
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Since the KTM pictured above has a tubed tire and was likely still holding air, I can only assume it was stopped due to a bad fuel pump or water pump or mysterious electrical gremlin, etc...
I'm sure it was a photo op.......

Rather than a real stoppage 400 miles south of the border......

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #17368
pluric
Banned

Aww you know me, I would have just used the rear wheel to get out of there.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #17369
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Aww you know me, I would have just used the rear wheel to get out of there.

OK, you can have the last word now.....
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #17370
pluric
Banned