Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #631
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Lost Rider, what cylinder head covers are those? They look like they provide good protection. I currently have SW Motech crash bars but want to remove them just because I know i'll start dragging them in the twisties.

Machine Art Moto, they work pretty well, taken a few hits while splitting lanes and have held up nicely. OEM plastic guards have proven to be far too fragile for anything beyond a parking lot drop, and I understand about steel crash bars, they will drag pretty easy in the twisties. These do drag too now and then but offer much more clearance than steel guards.

http://www.machineartmoto.com/xhead.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticus View Post
Roadie, Is that it's name? How many of us have names for their bikes? I think I have come up with one I like but I haven't really started using it.

Yeah, I sometimes refer to it like that, though I'm more of the Roadie.

But it is an RR, so Roadie the Roadster fits too.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #632
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
FWIW - I traded in the K1300S for an R1200R (90th Anniversery model) this past weekend.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #633
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
FWIW - I traded in the K1300S for an R1200R (90th Anniversery model) this past weekend.
...and? You are leaving us hanging without the details. What (we now know), when (we also know), and WHY?

The best that I can compare to is the K1200GT and I just felt like a visitor on the bike (temporary, not quite comfortable, too big). Whereas, on the R it immediately felt like we were "family."
Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #634
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
...and? You are leaving us hanging without the details. What (we now know), when (we also know), and WHY?

The best that I can compare to is the K1200GT and I just felt like a visitor on the bike (temporary, not quite comfortable, too big). Whereas, on the R it immediately felt like we were "family."
I absolutely loved the K1300S. But the bike did not seem to hold up well to my daily commute, which accounts for the majority of my miles. My commute is about 50 miles each way via superslab, with much of it in stop-n-go traffic. I also ride a lot in the rain. The EPA mandated formulation for gas in the Chicago metro area and the 10% mandated ethanol were also a factor. In short, I felt like I was in a constatnt battle to keep the injectors of the K1300S clean and properly functioning - constantly adding fuel additives (Startron) and cleaners (Techron), replacing air filters, etc. - and still getting low speed stalls and surging. I never had these problems on my '06 R1200GS. So last week (after a sticky thermostat on the K pushed me over the edge) I finally came to the conclusion that I would be better off returning to an R1200.

Frankly, I don't expect the R1200R to handle nearly as well as the K1300S at 85+ on the highway. But it certainly is a better choice for around town and city traffic. And it certainly will hold up better to my type of riding. In any event, I'm looking forward to exploring the attributes of the R and adapting my riding style to get the most out of this bike.

I'm confident that I will be very happy with the R1200R - at least until BMW offers up a K1600R, or maybe a water-cooled R1200S.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #635
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
I absolutely loved the K1300S. But the bike did not seem to hold up well to my daily commute, which accounts for the majority of my miles. My commute is about 50 miles each way via superslab, with much of it in stop-n-go traffic. I also ride a lot in the rain. The EPA mandated formulation for gas in the Chicago metro area and the 10% mandated ethanol were also a factor. In short, I felt like I was in a constatnt battle to keep the injectors of the K1300S clean and properly functioning - constantly adding fuel additives (Startron) and cleaners (Techron), replacing air filters, etc. - and still getting low speed stalls and surging. I never had these problems on my '06 R1200GS. So last week (after a sticky thermostat on the K pushed me over the edge) I finally came to the conclusion that I would be better off returning to an R1200.

Frankly, I don't expect the R1200R to handle nearly as well as the K1300S at 85+ on the highway. But it certainly is a better choice for around town and city traffic. And it certainly will hold up better to my type of riding. In any event, I'm looking forward to exploring the attributes of the R and adapting my riding style to get the most out of this bike.

I'm confident that I will be very happy with the R1200R - at least until BMW offers up a K1600R, or maybe a water-cooled R1200S.
Sounds like a logical move that will continue to bring you riding happiness! I would imagine when you first pulled the R off the side stand you about threw it over sideways! I almost did that after coming off my Ducati ST3s and was quite surprized at the difference. Now, on the road the Duc is hard to beat!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #636
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
The sales guy at hermys told me there is a new retro/classic model with the water cooled boxer coming for 2014. I am guessing this would be the new R1200R. Anyone hear anything similar?

I have a new GSA...the HD Street Glide might have to get sold to make room for an all bmw garage. love these naked R bikes.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #637
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 610
My 94 R1100RS has only 170,000 miles on it, all wrenched by me. Never been into the engine. Just exterior stuff, starter, alternator, rebuilt the throttle bodies, suspension updates and other mods of my own doing.

But the engine and rear final drive are still original to the bike. Best bike I have ever owned, reliable as a rock.

Friend of mine has over 225,000 on his 04 R1150R. He just loves it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #638
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
The sales guy at hermys told me there is a new retro/classic model with the water cooled boxer coming for 2014. I am guessing this would be the new R1200R. Anyone hear anything similar?

I have a new GSA...the HD Street Glide might have to get sold to make room for an all bmw garage. love these naked R bikes.
I think it is going to be the "Custom" version of the r1200r. Here is a pic and short write up I stumbled upon http://rideapart.com/2013/03/2014-bm...-custom/?gal=1

Cheers
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #639
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
BMW R****R Thread

I heard from a very reliable source that the wet head Bobber was coming late this year, standard wet r1200r late 2014 after the wet RT.

I like the looks of that Custom, probably what he's talking about.
I rode a wet GS, horrible DS bike but got me very excited when thinking about that motor in a naked bike.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #640
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I heard from a very reliable source that the wet head Bobber was coming late this year, standard wet r1200r late 2014 after the wet RT.

I rode a wet GS, horrible DS bike but got me very excited when thinking about that motor in a naked bike.
Not sure I care about the new motor being "wet," as I and many others have had very good luck with the boxer motor as is. What interests me is the clutch access in the front of the motor as opposed to the rear - of course requiring major surgery to replace (not sure why I worry about that though as I primarily ride long distance - maybe 90% of my mileage, so I don't have clutch issues when I only shift a few times in each 100 miles).
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #641
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00tertrash View Post
I think it is going to be the "Custom" version of the r1200r. Here is a pic and short write up I stumbled upon http://rideapart.com/2013/03/2014-bm...-custom/?gal=1

Cheers
I think that might be referring to the current 90th anniversary model that just hit the showrooms. It talks about it being air-cooled and whatnot. Maybe not though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Would the Bobber and a "retro" model be similar, I wonder. I belive my dealer referred to it as a retro style...maybe along the lines of the Ducati classic's from around '07-'09...

I would totally dig that...a cool looking retro BMW boxer? Fo' shizzle! I need something smaller and lighter and still capable of taking the Mrs. to dinner on Friday night. The Street Glide is just losing its touch for me...There is always going to be a small place in my heart for the old 'merican v-twin, but I feel the need to move onward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post

Not sure I care about the new motor being "wet," as I and many others have had very good luck with the boxer motor as is. What interests me is the clutch access in the front of the motor as opposed to the rear - of course requiring major surgery to replace (not sure why I worry about that though as I primarily ride long distance - maybe 90% of my mileage, so I don't have clutch issues when I only shift a few times in each 100 miles).
I agree. My '12 GSA is my first BMW and first boxer and I'm very pleased with the power. However, I would like a new modern feeling bike in an "old skool cool" package that is still fast. I don't need something fast like my Tuono Factory or a current Speed Triple (love me nekkid bikes!), but the new motor with 15 more ponies in an RxxxxR chassis sounds like an incredible compromise!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #642
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

This past weekend, I presed my local dealer for info on when they expected the various models of the water-cooled boxer to be introduced since I was on the fence about buying an 2013 R1200R or waiting another year or two. They expect that the wter-colled boxer will be offered in the GSAdventure and RT models next year (2014). The R1200R will probably not get teh water-colled boxer until 2015. We may also see an R1200S at that time.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #643
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
This past weekend, I presed my local dealer for info on when they expected the various models of the water-cooled boxer to be introduced since I was on the fence about buying an 2013 R1200R or waiting another year or two. They expect that the wter-colled boxer will be offered in the GSAdventure and RT models next year (2014). The R1200R will probably not get teh water-colled boxer until 2015. We may also see an R1200S at that time.
I sort of hope that's not the case. I'm afraid if I sell the Harley this spring, I am going to easily fall in love with the next two-wheeler to roll by the house. The Speed Triple R looks so inviting, but I want a retro/classic/street fighter/naked/something-something....wishing it to be a boxer nekkid of sorts.

Bikes bikes bikes bikes....i love bikes. Whats wrong with me...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #644
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
Considering a 2002

Are there any known serious problems with the 2002 R1150R? I'm considering picking one up for longer hauls (the F650GS twin is a bit cramped for two for a long trip) but I don't want to buy unexpected trouble...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #645
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Are there any known serious problems with the 2002 R1150R? I'm considering picking one up for longer hauls (the F650GS twin is a bit cramped for two for a long trip) but I don't want to buy unexpected trouble...
I own a 2002 R1150R and a love it. Its had no mechanical issues and always ran great! I know some people have had some minor issues with surging at lower rpms, but I've never experienced any.

Cheers