Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #47
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
A buddy of mine rode his R1150RT to Sturgis last summer. Somewhere along the way, he stopped for gas and made it half a block from the gas station when his bike sputtered and died. While he fiddled with it, and eventually called his mechanic back home for advice, several other vehicles suffered the same problem as they exited the same gas station. Turned out that the truck driver who delivered fuel the day before had left the cover off the tank and it rained all night, filling the underground tank with water. Apparently the pump draws from the bottom and he had unknowingly filled his tank with straight water! Nasty parking lot runoff water at that. The gas station paid to have his bike trucked the rest of the way to Sturgis where he got it fixed. It was a bummer. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #48
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
avoid this if possible-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Get two 5 gallon buckets. Dump as much as you can of your tank into one of the buckets. Water settles to the bottom so you should be able to pour the good fuel off the top into the other bucket. Then pour the rest of your tank into the bucket the with water and pour as much of that into the other before the water starts to go over the the lip. You can put the good bucket back into the bike.

It will probably be hard starting at first because you've got the fuel lines filled with water. You could pull the fuel rail and drain it. (you might need to pull the throttle bodies to do that though, I can't remember)

Don't forget to drill the high pressure filter and do the external filter mod and you should be as good as new.
The problem is that the "good remaining fuel" is likely 5-10% ethanol, and has therefore absorbed water in the alcohol portion of the fuel. Now any additional water in the fuel will cause phase seperation, where the water saturated alcohol drops out of the fuel leaving a milky shitty layer at the bottom of the tank. Believe me, I've drained tons of this crap from boat fuel tanks, usually involving a fuel system rebuild. The remaing "fuel" has significantly dropped its octane level, which isn't too good for the motor. Drain everything and start fresh, whenever possible.
Just my 2 cents...

Ethanol, making farmers money, humanity hungry and drivers walk.
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #49
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 1,975
Did you check the drain hole yet?

If the rubber drain tube is still attached to the tank (this usually gets tossed about the second or third time the tank gets removed), make sure it's not pinched or clogged.

If the water drain under the cap is plugged, you'll have the same problem next time it rains...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
How long have you had the Honda, and how many miles have you put on it in that time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
The cb500x (w/ABS) was number one after I sat on one at the north american motorcycle show Number two was the 650 v strom, sat a little high, but that can be corrected, and it has better wind protection than the cb500x, and should be better if I ever have to jump on the freeway. Number three is the NT700v, but do not like the idea of side loading plastic bags. And number four is the NC700x, I will have to go take a second look, but sitting on the bike, something just felt off that I could not put my finger on (plus no ABS with the standard shift). I will be replacing a 2003 750 honda ace, I just want to get my feet back under me, and let my legs take some of the bumps in the road, other than my lower back.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
How long have you had the Honda, and how many miles have you put on it in that time?
I bought it used with 2k on it, in four summers of riding it now has 24k on it. I dont use it for commuting to work, just weekend rides, No poker runs, just rides out in the country, or to go visit friends.
theloop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #52
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
I bought it used with 2k on it, in four summers of riding it now has 24k on it. I dont use it for commuting to work, just weekend rides, No poker runs, just rides out in the country, or to go visit friends.
At 5 to 6 thousand a year, it'll take over 10 years to wear out a Wee. Then just replace the fuel filter and put another 100 on it.

My dad bought one new, and now has over 70k miles on it. It needed a new pump & filter a while back, but other than that, it just runs. At 70k miles, it will burn a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. Other than the pump, which gave lots of warning, the biggest problem he's had has been a flat tire. I can't wait to retire (some day) and ride as much as he does.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #53
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Did you check the drain hole yet?

If the rubber drain tube is still attached to the tank (this usually gets tossed about the second or third time the tank gets removed), make sure it's not pinched or clogged.

If the water drain under the cap is plugged, you'll have the same problem next time it rains...
I never did address this.

The hole itself appeared to be fine. The rubber hose was a little kinked, but I'm not sure it was completely blocked. I never once remember opening the fuel filler and seeing water. It's always been dry.

I carefully routed the drain hose so it shouldn't be kinked this time, though an new hose wouldn't hurt as the old one was getting noticeably brittle.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote