Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #16
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
I've had very good luck buying and selling on CL. Last night a guy showed up with full price on my 84 Honda scooter and was very happy to have found it. He didn't even ask for a test ride, only to see me ride it around a bit.
Found my Tiger in NYC (3 hours away) and was the first caller. The seller took a small paypal deposit and held it for a day until I could get there. The bike was way under priced and I got a hell of a deal.
Did a fly and ride to NC for a Sprint before that. Owner met me at the airport and again, got a hell of a deal. He even threw in a jacket, gloves and helmet for free and had a new rear tire put on for my ride home.
The Sprint before that was also from NYC and the seller rode it here for me to look at it. I bought him a $40 bus ticket for his return trip.
Yesterday was a banner CL day. Aside from selling the scoot I bought a pair of lightly used BMW Gortex boots for $75 and an Arai wired helmet (need a spare for the occasional passenger) for $30. Also sold my too tight Sidi boots to offset the boots I bought. I'd bought the Sidi boots from the same guy last year for $60.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 05:01 AM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I have BEEN the one to pay more when the seller is straight with me, and I think the price is beyond fair. I figure if I can encourage just a few individual sellers that honesty pays off, it might just catch on...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Thumb

Back in August 2010 I had made the decision to get back into motorcycling. Hadn't been on one since I was a teen, never had my MC endorsement. Thanks to the corruptive influence of this site I knew I had to get a dual sport. After endless research, I decided the KLR would be the perfect way to dip my toe. If I could find one cheap enough, I could ride it and decide if it was for me or not. If I hated it, should be an easy sell. So I shopped...local dealer had one, but it was overpriced. Then inmate delftvanp posted a hideous but somewhat farkled 1989 KLR 650 in the flea market for the whopping sum of $1200. The photos and description made it apparent it was 'style challenged' but mechanically sound. We agreed to meet, and I drove the pickup down to his place to have a look. Any time you meet a guy who has clean, vintage motorcycles in his living room you know you've found the right seller. The KLR was ugly, but he started it and it sounded great. Not having a MC endorsement I didn't ride it, just told him to help me load it up. Paid the asking price because I could part it out for what I paid even if it blew up within the week. The bike performed flawlessly the whole time I owned it. A great deal for both of us.

So, after two years, additional farkling, a doohickey and a respray I finally accept that as good as the KLR is, it's not quite the right tool for the job for me. I need something a little more road oriented and smoother. More research. A dalliance with Tigers and a lust for Capanords, but ultimately accept a Wee Strom is probably the solution. Once again, the flea market comes into play. A seller (whose screen name I've sadly misplaced) advertises a very clean looking '04 Wee in an ad...where he's hoping to part trade for a cheap, more off-road oriented dual sport. Could I be so lucky? We talk. I send him photos of my bedliner painted, dented KLR. In disbelief I get word from him that this may be exactly what he is looking for. Certain he will change his mind once he sees my KLR, I load it in the truck and drive 2 hrs to see him and the Wee. The Wee is perfect, 40,000 miles but nary a scratch on it and with a full set of Givi luggage. We offload the battle weary KLR, he rides it around the block, and we make a deal for the KLR plus a very reasonable amount for his Wee. I toss him a brand new tire for the rear which is soon done since I can't use it as a bonus.

I've bought/sold over 50 four wheeled vehicles and have made some good deals. But my experiences on ADV working with inmates have surpassed most all of them.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
On a cold Monday morning last Spring, on a whim, I posted my low mileage 2005 Thruxton on Kijiji (similar to CL but more popular in my neck of the woods). At the time there were 2 or 3 similarly aged Thruxtons listed for sale in Canada with prices varying from $4K to 7K. I priced mine a bit higher than the lowest with the expectation that I would pull the ad in a week and keep it.

I want a prospective buyer to know that it is not perfect so in the write up I said something along the lines of 'this is not a garage queen - it only looks clean because I drive it in the rain / sleet / hail'.

Within an hour of posting I had an email from a guy asking if he could come by with a friend and take a look. We arranged a time the next evening at 6pm.

About 530 next evening a guy on an ST1300 stops in front of house and introduces himself as the friend. He asks a bunch of questions about the bike - I start it, run through the lights, he sits on it to feel out the suspension, steering. Told me they will not be asking for a test drive. We shoot the shit for 1/2 hour or so when the prospective buyer shows up. He comes over and introduces himself, looks at his friend and asks him what he thinks .... "if you don't buy it, I might." was the reply.

I spend some time running through the bike with him. Point out a few flaws, a few mods, etc. He asks how firm I am on the price - tell him I am reasonably firm, that I priced it very well for the year and condition. He then says "what if I tell you I have a money order in my pocket written out to you for $200 less than your asking". Thinking he was bullshitting me, I said "I'd tell you that you just wasted $10 at the bank to get a money order that you need to return". He laughs and says "how bout a $100 off asking". Sure, I can do that. He pulls a money order out of one pocket and $100 out of the other. Guess he wasn't bullshitting!

We do up the paperwork, I gather up some bits and pieces (shop manual, cover, maintenance receipts) for him and hand him the keys. He goes to his car, grabs a jacket, gloves and helmet; tells me he'll be back for his car later that evening, and drives off into the sunset.

At bike was driving down the road I had a big case of sellers regret - I had hoped that it wouldn't sell so I could tell the wife that I have not choice but to have 2 bikes. Moped around the house for a week or two before finding the Transalp for sale. I keep checking kijiji to see if the guy has gotten tired of the Thruxton yet and hopefully get chance to buy it back.

Cheers,
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Had a great experience

Getting back into riding after a 10-year break, I was looking for an ADV bike and came across a 2002 Aprilia Caponord on Craigslist. It was a decent, but not smoking deal. I monitored it for several weeks as the asking price dropped. I finally contacted the owner (who lived less than 3 miles from me!) and went to look at the bike. It was "as advertised", and I got him down an additional $200. He had a friend at a local dealership and also took care of the title transfer and registration for me (on a Saturday!), so I didn't have to take off work to stand in line.

Turns out he's an inmate here, and is currently on a year+ trans Africa ride. We've become friends over the past year and half. Couldn't ask for a better experience buying a used bike, especially in S. Florida, where cons, ripoffs, and douchebags are epidemic.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,820
Guy posts an ad. I call within about 15 minutes and tell him I will take it if he can hold it 3 wks with deposit. He said no deposit required, it's mine.

I showed up 3 weeks later, hand him $100 bills, he gives me bike and title, and all is well.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Three of my most recent transactions (two bought and one sold) were at a local independent shop that sells bikes on consignment for a flat $100/month which is a steal IMHO, and all three deals went very smoothly...the two bikes I bought are excellent and especially liked selling that way, they placed the ad on Craigslist and showed the bike so I did not have CL flakes and weirdos coming to my house...a serious buyer w/ cash met me at the shop and bought my bike within a few days. For anyone in the S.F. north bay area the shop is in Santa Rosa http://www.the-motorcycle-shop.com/Home.html (and I have no connection other than being a happy customer)

Did buy a bike on CL last year and that went well too, the bike was as described, priced very well, and the seller had all the paperwork, parts, manuals, etc
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941
I bought my first GS on Craigslist. Bike was in northern WV. I put a deposit, caught a ride with a friend going sort of close by. I showed up with the balance in cash. Seller put me up in his spare room for the night, fed me breakfast and sent me on my way back to VT. Had so much fun that I kept riding till things got dark and rainy, which was somewhere in Maine. Pitched a tent in a field, got up at dawn and rode back to VT and home.

Altogether a great experience.

Ditto when I sold my Tiger 1050 on Craigslist. Buyer from MA said he'd be here on Saturday. He showed up with a trailer, inspected the bike, paid, and left happy.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
The karma of a good deal

Bought my '04 R1150R from a Craigslist ad in Jan 2010 (I always shop for bikes in winter), pastor running it for one of his church members. Original owner, had only put 8400 miles on it. I paid a little more than what I wanted, a little less than he wanted, so in my experience, a fair deal.
Fast forward 1 1/2 years, economically pressed for quick cash, I listed the slightly farkled bike for more than market value and got a call from a Navy E-6, who said she wanted to learn how to motorcycle. Even after cautioning her it was not a beginner's bike, I sold it to her for the full asking price, sadly.
Aching for a bike, I scanned Craigslist for months, even though the financial circumstances forcing me to sell had not yet subsided, Then, in December I not only see another R1150R, it is MY BMW. She was listing it, using my original picture from the ad she answered (in all fairness, it was a great picture). Calling her, she first asked if I had copyrighted the picture, as she was concerned about infringement. Talking it over, she admitted it was just too much bike for her. Yes, I swallowed an "I told you so". We agreed on her asking price, $800 less than she had purchased from me 6 months and 250 miles earlier.
So I am the second, and fourth owner of my bike.

willfreely screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 07:44 PM
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
I've bought/sold over 50 four wheeled vehicles and have made some good deals. But my experiences on ADV working with inmates have surpassed most all of them.
My number is nowhere near that high, but my experience here on ADV is identical. I've bought one bike and a lot of other stuff from fellow inmates and sold two bikes to fellow inmates. When I sold my KLR, I didn't even list it on CL. I probably could have gotten more for it and I definitely could've sold it in less than 3 months, but it was totally worth it to sell the bike to another ADVer. Completely painless transactions all round.

Buying my V-Strom from an inmate was great. PM, phone call to discuss and agree on a price, e-mail with travel details. Seller picked me up at the airport, took me to his place where I saw the bike, which was better than it looked in pics, I handed over the agreed-upon amount of cash, did some paperwork and started my road trip. Hard to argue with that. I've tried to pay it forward when I'm the seller.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Since late 1974 I have always owned a bike. I have bought seven, sold two, traded one, had two stolen, and still own two...... and haven't had a negative experience buying or selling.

I bought my first Honda CB350 of a workmate who wanted to get a Triumph Bonny. A year or so later I was thinking of getting a Bonny myself, so sold it when I came across a guy who expressed an interest in it.

In the end, a couple of weeks later I replaced it with another, newer CB350, which I saw in the motorcycle shop in my small hometown. I was happy with that for about 18 months, when an oil seal dislodged somehow, and it the engine seized (at about 65 mph). On the road, near a small town, with no access to a workshop where I could repair it myself, I was not inclined to wait around until the local motorcycle shop did the job. I left the CB350 with them, and a couple of hundred dollars, and rode off on a Suzuki TS185.

I had no great liking for that bike, but it took me the length and breadth of the North and South Islands of New Zealand, doing seasonal farm work. Eventually I went to work abroad. The TS was parked in a shed, and fired up ok when I returned for a few weeks a couple of years later. I headed off for another couple of years. On return, in 1985 I reckoned it was no longer roadworthy. I happily sold it to a wrecker for $70.

I returned to study then, so bought a year old Honda MB 100 from a dealer for $900. I still own that, albeit now unregistered, and being used off road by some young fellows at home.

When I went to work in England in 1990 I bought a Yamaha RSX 100 I saw advertised privately in the newspaper. Just a quick inspection, paid the 700 and rode off; no problems. That was stolen a few months later, and I got paid out 500 by the insurance company.

I spent that on a 10 year-old Honda CB250RS that I spotted at a small motorcycle shop. I got them to put on a new tyre, and sort a couple of other things, and rode off..... no problems. I traveled the length and breadth of the British Isles, and parts of Europe over the next five years, until it too was stolen.

By then it was time to return to NZ, where I had the MB100 stashed in a shed. The change to unleaded petrol, which goes off faster, meant it took a bit of work to get it going again, but I got it sorted, and used it until I started to work abroad again.

On coming to Thailand about 10 years ago I rented a motorcycle occasionally. The guy I rented from looked after his bikes well, so I said I would buy one if he wanted to sell. At the end of his busy season the deal was done. For 15,000 baht (about $500) I got a five year old bike that had done 90,000 km.

Now with 212,000 km on the dial, and an overhaul at 180,000 km (cost 4,500 baht) it is still running well, and should be good for a few more years.

All in all, plenty of positive experiences, I reckon..... all deals done promptly, in cash.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 04:43 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,403
Most all of my bike buying and selling experiences have gone well. I've purchased a bike that had a pretty scary flaw (someone didn't put the front wheel bearings in correctly resulting in a catstrophic failure after 200miles on the bike) and I sold another bike that the buyer bitched about the valves needing adjustment after he bought the bike.

I think for the most part riders are better educated about what they're buying and selling than say car buyers and sellers.

Twice I've purchased bikes sight unseen, just photographs the fist and the first bike I ever purchased was a Supermoto that I bought off of eBay and had Shipped from FLA, the seller was gracious enough to deliver it to Forward Air and prep it for shipment. I wasn't crazy about the idea but the word Supermoto was not in anyone's vocabulary in south Louisiana at the time (about 10 years ago). That bike was a ton of fun and I put almost 10K on it in the first year.

After Hurricane Katrina the used bike market in New Orleans was pretty much non-existent so I did a fly and buy for a K-bike up in Charlotte, the seller picked me up at the airport let me test ride the bike before handing over the cash and gave me a ton of extra parts and covers and what not. All that hassle for a $2500 bike! I don't think most people would go through all that trouble to sell so a low dollar item. But with riders we share a common passion so I think buying and selling bikes is a lot more fun that selling cars or trucks.

My favorite experiences have been doing straight across trades, I've done that 3 times now and it's been a pleasant experience every time, the last guy I swapped with (a KX250 for a 525 MXC) I even went riding with several times and would probably still be going on rides with if I hadn't moved. He even showed me some great trails in CA that'd I'd never had know about otherwise!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I've only had one experience that verged on bad with a guy who showed up from California in a rented vehicle and talked me into test-riding my bike for the $700 cash he had on him as security. He returned from the test ride, didn't buy the bike, but all was right with the world.

However, in retrospect, this fact pattern should have alerted me that he was trying to steal my bike. He wasn't, but I would probably not deal with an out-of-stater again.

In the last year, I've sold three bikes on craigslist and bought two with zero problems.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,264
Was helping my friend get into riding and selecting a bike. Found a local GS500, with 37k on it. Got to the place, greeted him and he opened the garage. Clean garage, roll away tool chests, nice bench, several immaculate Brit classic bikes, etc. Before even looking at the GS I said "sold". The bike was fine. Friend of course didn't take care of it and let it rot outside after dropping it a bunch of times. Pity.

Went to the affluent burbs to look at a bike. In the garage matching Volvo's, sealed radiant heat floor. "Sold".

Happened to run a cross a local guy with a penchant for great restorations. Inside his garage-shop were some really beautiful specimens, not that they were advertised or even for sale. Nostalglia got a hold of me and said, half jokingly "I'll offer this much for this one". He: "Oh, I could take any more than XXX", some 30% of what I offered. A friend to this day.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #30
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,833
I had to sell my beloved '83 XL600R 2 years ago, since I bought the Aprilia you see in my avatar. I only had room for 2 bikes, and I figured selling the 600 would help with the cost of the Aprilia more than selling the old beater 79 XL250.

My good buddy has been without a bike for a few years, because he sold his SV650 to fund a home business, but wants to get back into it. We agree that the bike is worth about $1,400, but he will get the friends and family 50% discount, on the condition that I get first dibs if he ever sells it. I load it up, and make the 2 hour trek to his place.

It was about 112 degrees that day. If you have ever started on of these old thumpers, you know they can be a bear. He tries a few times, and gives me the look of someone who is about to back out of a deal. So I give him the step by step instructions to do the "XL technique". He runs through the steps, and whamo! Fired on the first try! Big smiles all around, and he's running it up and down the parking lot.

He rides it as a daily driver for a year. During that time, his young son became interested in dirt biking, and got a little 110 4-stroke. Eventually, the little guy was giving dad a run for his money on MX tracks, so he decides to upgrade to a 250 2-stroke so he can keep up. Jumping at the chance to buy an XL600 for only $700, I make the trip to buy back the bike. As a double bonus, his co-worker bought my old beater XL250, so my space problem resolves itself, and my buddy has tuned up the XL so it runs better than it ever had!

Present day: My wife is getting her license, and needs a lighter dual sport with electric start, so I need to sell the XL again. My buddy gets wind of this, and says he may be interested in buying it once again. This is getting ridiculous! I tell you, those old thumpers are addictive.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote