Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Your what? Thats a bit ambiguous.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #452
IrishJohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
The faster you need to change direction the harder/faster you countersteer.
Thanks for clearing the reaction/speed/time thing up. I honestly never thought my question here months ago would create all this response - I kind of keep hoping it will go away, there are a lot of personal attacks floating around which is a shame.

Anyway - if the darned Instructor had said 'To go Left you STEER right momentarily until the bike is in its turn which usually happens so fast and is so automatic to SOME of you you won't even notice it etc etc etc" a lot of time and pondering would have been saved.

Anyway - I have given up 'noticing' what the handlebars are doing for that tiny fraction of time and am really enjoying riding in a away that I hope I will never find out what I will actually 'do' in an emergency swerve : )

A sincere thank you to those who really went the distance helping me (and others) with this - and those who got upset with those trying to help, well I am sorry about that but as far as I know one is supposed to be an 'adult' before getting a MC licence over here, right?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #453
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Try going down a winding road at a moderate pace with your left hand on the gas cap. You,ll understand it better.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #454
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Thanks for clearing the reaction/speed/time thing up. I honestly never thought my question here months ago would create all this response - I kind of keep hoping it will go away, there are a lot of personal attacks floating around which is a shame.

Anyway - if the darned Instructor had said 'To go Left you STEER right momentarily until the bike is in its turn which usually happens so fast and is so automatic to SOME of you you won't even notice it etc etc etc" a lot of time and pondering would have been saved.

Anyway - I have given up 'noticing' what the handlebars are doing for that tiny fraction of time and am really enjoying riding in a away that I hope I will never find out what I will actually 'do' in an emergency swerve : )

A sincere thank you to those who really went the distance helping me (and others) with this - and those who got upset with those trying to help, well I am sorry about that but as far as I know one is supposed to be an 'adult' before getting a MC licence over here, right?
IrishJohn

You shouldn't worry about the personal attacks. This is an important conversation item, many riders, including veteran riders of many years, still need to learn about this.

The back and forth here with some personal attacks is entertaining, and the people who participate actively on these conversations can take it. At the same time there is good and important information being passed along.

It is all good!

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #455
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I am gonna' have to say that I believe the majority of the people posting in this thread are making light of this. There simply CAN NOT be this many people that have little to no basic concept of how to control a motorcycle.

Of course, maybe I am expecting too much, given the shitty riding I see on the street. Maybe it is just the track junkies that can pilot a bike. Dunno... amazed at this thread though...

Barry
Barry, I have had track veterans, racing veterans, etc. in a basic skills class who totally misunderstood countersteering and could barely control their bikes at anything under 30 mph.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #456
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
i saw a youtube vid of a RC Harley, 1/10th scale, running down a street upright under power. As the operator at the RC controller would "steer" the bike I could clearly see if he "steered" it right, the bike very slightly went left before initiating the lean to the right.

Proof to me that even without a rider aboard, countersteering is needed to "initiate" the lean that causes a cycle to make a turn.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #457
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
i saw a youtube vid of a RC Harley, 1/10th scale, running down a street upright under power. As the operator at the RC controller would "steer" the bike I could clearly see if he "steered" it right, the bike very slightly went left before initiating the lean to the right.

Proof to me that even without a rider aboard, countersteering is needed to "initiate" the lean that causes a cycle to make a turn.
Yup, I have an 1/8 scale sportbike and it works just like you would expect it to. If the wheel is turned left, the bike leans right. Once its leaned you practically let go of the steering wheel knob on the radio. There is no rider moving around or personal "feel" to screw up the results.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #458
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Barry, I have had track veterans, racing veterans, etc. in a basic skills class who totally misunderstood countersteering and could barely control their bikes at anything under 30 mph.
Boggles the mind...

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #459
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Now, after you have finished leaned-turning and you need to roll the bike back up to a vertical position...........would you call that control input counter-steering or over-steering?
lnewqban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #460
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Target fixation also occurs driving cars. Is that because car drivers don't understand countersteering?
Well-played.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #461
IrishJohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Well, it finally happened to me. I'm riding along on my merry way when an anus-head in a pick up pulls out of a driveway right in front of me. The umitigated SOB wasn't creeping carefully out - he was accelerating fast. I don't know how I saw him in time, went back today as part of the 'get back on the horse' thing and he literally had to have been driving with zero conception that anybody could have been approaching that driveway. There was a small gap in his tall hedge and by some miracle I saw the moving flash of color and must have instinctively realised something wicked that way was coming. ANYWAY - I am sorry to report that I did not 'consciously think' about countersteering or leans or anything you have all been good enough to explain. It was sheer luck or reaction or something but all I really remember is swerving around the hua's truck front. I stopped down the road having heard a crashing noise and for a microsecond thought he had actually clipped my bike and that I must be in some kind of shock - am happy to report the Dipstick must have had a bigger fright than me becuase it was the noise of his truck impacting in the wall opposite his driveway. Cops came, he was not DUI, did not appear to be an escapee from the School for the Blind, mumbled something about 'The guy on the motorbike was all over the road and I did not know what to do and I panicked' - which the Cops did not buy for a second and he got a ticket but I did not. I was shaking like a leaf, did not want to try and ride home right away so sat down (before I fell down -knees felt wobbly as hell) for about an hour until I was sure I was OK to ride (very slowly and carefully : ) back to my house. I think, when these things happen, you really don't have time to think about anything including - and no disrespect intended - 'countersteering'. I feel very lucky to not have been in a nasty crash and I think that the main value of teaching things like the 'emergency swerve' is that it reinforces a vital point 9imho) that EXCRETA DOES HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE ON A MOTORBIKE. I ride a hell of a lot more carefully than I drive - and that is because of all the 'horror stories' balanced with the emphasis on the stupidity of thinking 'right of way equals invulnerability' and such like. To me its like swimming - we have a saying back home 'Only the Good Swimmers Drown' - in other words, enjoy the water without being stupid, and for me its always been a case of 'Better to arrive five minutes late that to be dead on time' : ) Sure paid off in this case just ambling along : )

IrishJohn screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 11:06 PM
IrishJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #462
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,411
I think that's the point of all this, you did it without thinking. By learning and thinking about it you were mentally prepared and it saved you.

Glad you're ok.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #463
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
I really wish this whole obsession with countersteering would just go away. If you go around a curve or change direction on any two wheeled vehicle at more than about 4 mph you are countersteering, wether you are consciously aware of it or not. Period.

The real emphasis should be on practicing looking where you are going. Look left, go left...look right, go right. We should be telling people to pay attention to their head position rather than what they are doing with the bars. Slow, look, accelerate. That's where the practice should be. You are already counter steering, so quit thinking about it. For some, it's way too confusing.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #464
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
I really wish this whole obsession with countersteering would just go away. If you go around a curve or change direction on any two wheeled vehicle at more than about 4 mph you are countersteering, wether you are consciously aware of it or not. Period.

The real emphasis should be on practicing looking where you are going. Look left, go left...look right, go right. We should be telling people to pay attention to their head position rather than what they are doing with the bars. Slow, look, accelerate. That's where the practice should be. You are already counter steering, so quit thinking about it. For some, it's way too confusing.
somebody has it right
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #465
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
somebody has it right