ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #16801
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yankee Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Decatur, AL
Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I know this is traditionally the case esp. with dirt bikes with longer travel but as I mentioned a few posts back this is not the case for me with my roadie. The chain is tighter when on the center stand. Is it really different on the XC or are people relying on past bike's experience to make that assumption. I'm just curious.
I am speaking from experience. The chain is significantly tighter when adjusted on the center stand.

The other day I had it up on the centerstand and decided to check the chain tension. Hmmm... a bit loose. So I whipped out the tools and adjusted to the loose end of the spec like I always do. Finished up and dropped it off the center stand. Then checked it one more time.

Whoaa. Way too tight. Check the manual. Sure enough, check on side stand. Readjust and move it back to where is was in the first place.
__________________
2005 Ural
2005 BMW F650GS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #16802
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I am speaking from experience. The chain is significantly tighter when adjusted on the center stand.

The other day I had it up on the centerstand and decided to check the chain tension. Hmmm... a bit loose. So I whipped out the tools and adjusted to the loose end of the spec like I always do. Finished up and dropped it off the center stand. Then checked it one more time.

Whoaa. Way too tight. Check the manual. Sure enough, check on side stand. Readjust and move it back to where is was in the first place.
It's only significantly tighter if you adjust it to the specs which states it is to be adjusted on the side-stand.

You can adjust a chain on the center OR side stand and it be in spec, you just have to be aware of the procedure. It's poppcock to say you can't adjust the chain on the center stand - that's how I've always done it.

On a related note, I'll take a slightly loose chain over a tight one any day...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #16803
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It's only significantly tighter if you adjust it to the specs which states it is to be adjusted on the side-stand.

You can adjust a chain on the center OR side stand and it be in spec, you just have to be aware of the procedure. It's poppcock to say you can't adjust the chain on the center stand - that's how I've always done it.

On a related note, I'll take a slightly loose chain over a tight one any day...
This is exactly what I was trying to convey in that procedure above to make a tool that shows the spec for adjusting on the centerstand.

As the swingarm rotates further down, the chain will be more slack than it would on the sidestand and this must be taken into account.

Adjust it to spec on the sidestand, then put it on the centerstand and measure the freeplay for the NEW spec to be used whenever adjusting it on the centerstand and you are golden.

Not exactly rocket science, but it can be confusing when how the slack changes at different points of suspension travel isn't fully realized.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #16804
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yankee Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Decatur, AL
Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It's only significantly tighter if you adjust it to the specs which states it is to be adjusted on the side-stand.

You can adjust a chain on the center OR side stand and it be in spec, you just have to be aware of the procedure. It's poppcock to say you can't adjust the chain on the center stand - that's how I've always done it.

On a related note, I'll take a slightly loose chain over a tight one any day...
Take a chill pill my friend. I was only answering the gentlemens question. I never said one shouldnt take your most accurate advice. I only said there was indeed a difference.

I also agree that it is best to run a chain on the loose side.
__________________
2005 Ural
2005 BMW F650GS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #16805
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 279
While on the subject of chain adjustment, has anyone noticed their adjustment blocks on the swingarm not being symmetrical? I had the back wheel off the other weekend to put new tires on, and when we were getting everything reinstalled, my buddy noticed that the adjuster blocks were significantly different in their position on the swingarm.

On the left side, you can see that the block is just a couple millimeters from the end of the swingarm:


Whereas on the right side, there's a good half inch from the end of the swingarm:



We measured the axle to swingarm pivot over and over, and everything seems to be correct there, but it seems weird that they'd be spaced so differently.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #16806
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I am speaking from experience. The chain is significantly tighter when adjusted on the center stand.

.
OK. Then there appears to be a difference between the Roadie (or at least my bike with -2 in the back plus lifting links) and the XC.

FWIW, I am fully aware of how to adjust my chain etc... I was just interested in this data point for the XC.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #16807
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,275
I go by the indicator dots. Appears to be perfectly aligned. No bad manners, no vibes, nada.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #16808
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
While on the subject of chain adjustment, has anyone noticed their adjustment blocks on the swingarm not being symmetrical? I had the back wheel off the other weekend to put new tires on, and when we were getting everything reinstalled, my buddy noticed that the adjuster blocks were significantly different in their position on the swingarm.

On the left side, you can see that the block is just a couple millimeters from the end of the swingarm:


We measured the axle to swingarm pivot over and over, and everything seems to be correct there, but it seems weird that they'd be spaced so differently.
I gotta think you've got it adjusted correctly (properly aligned) as you'd have to try to have it that far out of whack. My bike is not like that.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #16809
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,519
One word for anyone having trouble adjusting their chain, shaft. Go buy an Explorer or Tenere or GS. I used to be a shaft only kind of guy, hated chains. BUT my wife has only ever ridden chain driven bikes, SO I was stuck with chain maintenance anyway. I realized a few years ago that it really doesn't matter what drive a bike uses, I just buy the bike that I want to ride. And modern chains are pretty damn easy to maintain.

I do as a few have suggested. Adjust on the side stand, put it back on the center stand and re-measure so I know where to adjust to next time. Also check the frame alignment notches or detents on a new bike to see if they're accurate.

Best way to check tension is as one poster mentioned, line up the axle, swingarm pivot, and front sprocket. Use a tie down over the seat to the swingarm. Once they are in line you should have just a slight bit of slack, about 1/2" is plenty as the chain can never get any tighter at that point. Release the tie strap and then put your bike on the side stand, center stand, whichever you prefer and use that as your chain tension.

On our sons dirt bikes we just used four fingers between swingarm and chain, now those were run loose.



How to do it with pretty pictures...
http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=207

Great tip at the end for making a small wooden chain tension tester.


bross screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 11:41 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #16810
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SMIFFXC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
While on the subject of chain adjustment, has anyone noticed their adjustment blocks on the swingarm not being symmetrical? I had the back wheel off the other weekend to put new tires on, and when we were getting everything reinstalled, my buddy noticed that the adjuster blocks were significantly different in their position on the swingarm.

On the left side, you can see that the block is just a couple millimeters from the end of the swingarm:


Whereas on the right side, there's a good half inch from the end of the swingarm:



We measured the axle to swingarm pivot over and over, and everything seems to be correct there, but it seems weird that they'd be spaced so differently.
I'm not at home so I can't look at mine but is there a chance you have one of those blocks upside down? I had the dealer put mine on upside down last year and I had to fix it when I got home. You can't see the marks if it is upside down. Just a thought.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #16811
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFXC View Post
I'm not at home so I can't look at mine but is there a chance you have one of those blocks upside down? I had the dealer put mine on upside down last year and I had to fix it when I got home. You can't see the marks if it is upside down. Just a thought.
Hmm, considering I didn't realize there was even an upside down, that's entirely possible. I'll have to take a look later, thanks for the advice.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #16812
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
. I realized a few years ago that it really doesn't matter what drive a bike uses, I just buy the bike that I want to ride. And modern chains are pretty damn easy to maintain.

And while I know it's not a very popular solution for whatever reason, if you install a Pro-Oiler and set it up and use it correctly your chain adjustment become pretty much non-existent. Mine gets adjusted when the wheel comes off for tire replacement which is about every 10-14k miles.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #16813
T
stay classy
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFXC View Post
I'm not at home so I can't look at mine but is there a chance you have one of those blocks upside down? I had the dealer put mine on upside down last year and I had to fix it when I got home. You can't see the marks if it is upside down. Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Hmm, considering I didn't realize there was even an upside down, that's entirely possible. I'll have to take a look later, thanks for the advice.
Yep. Left side is up side down. Won't hurt anything since the chain tension adjusting bolts keep the alignment.. Just change it the next time you have the axle nut off.

Right Side



Left Side



Pics make it look out of alignment but in reality it's good.
__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #16814
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
And while I know it's not a very popular solution for whatever reason, if you install a Pro-Oiler and set it up and use it correctly your chain adjustment become pretty much non-existent. Mine gets adjusted when the wheel comes off for tire replacement which is about every 10-14k miles.
Tried a ScottOiler on two of my bikes and didn't like them. Sure they kept the chain lubed but they flung gunk everywhere even though they were adjusted for proper flow, one to two drops a minute. And I think I spent more time trying to keep the tube end hitting the chain / sprockets than I ever have lubing a chain. More trouble than they're worth to me. Lubing isn't a chore and takes 5 minutes for both bikes on a trip so yeah I just don't worry about it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #16815
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Tried a ScottOiler on two of my bikes and didn't like them. Sure they kept the chain lubed but they flung gunk everywhere even though they were adjusted for proper flow, one to two drops a minute. And I think I spent more time trying to keep the tube end hitting the chain / sprockets than I ever have lubing a chain. More trouble than they're worth to me. Lubing isn't a chore and takes 5 minutes for both bikes on a trip so yeah I just don't worry about it.
Understand your frustration with the Scott Oiler. I was referring to the Pro-Oiler though. Very different.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014