Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #916
moosey
Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Bryson is not interested in Labs. If its a Boxer or a Pit Bull, he wants to wrestle it. If its a Standard Poodle, he wants to hump it. Everything else he just leaves alone.

RUT ROH!!
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #917
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #918
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,133
Niki

Niki and her boy Matt
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #919
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,039
Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by catneck View Post
Clarence is afraid, took a few tries to get him next to, much less into into the car. Next I will try to overcome his fear of the noise. Baby steps.
Hi Catneck- nice rig, nice ol' pooch. I started my dog Fred out just by coaxing him into the sidecar at the start of and return of our daily walks. I'd pull back the cover, sit on the back and lure him in with a treat, then pet him and talk to him. Then we'd go for a walk. When we got back, same thing. We did this for a month or so, until he would jump right in.

Then i started putting him in there and clipping him in the harness, and i sat on the bike. Talked to him, petted him, etc. Did that for a couple weeks. Eventually I would start and let the bike run at idle, and after a few days of that we went for a ride. He's only been now four or five times, but he jumps right it and even points his nose so i can put the Doggles on him!

I've only tooled around my residential neighbor so far, and not very fast. One thing we do is occasionally stop and visit with people in the neighborhood. We also go to the park and to the sandwich shop, where he gets a treat. When people wave, sometimes we pull over, and they pet Fred. He loves attention! It's all positive reinforcement that he associates with riding in the sidecar.

Eventually I'll take him out on bigger roads at higher speeds.

Oh yeah- I take the seat out of the car. I leave the back in, but without the seat, the dog can sit lower in the tub, and I think he feels more secure, and his feet can grip the mat in the bottom better than if he's perched higher up on the seat.

Hope this is helpful. I'm sure Clarence will get the hang of it!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #920
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Oh yeah- I take the seat out of the car. I leave the back in, but without the seat, the dog can sit lower in the tub, and I think he feels more secure, and his feet can grip the mat in the bottom better than if he's perched higher up on the seat.
You also can't go wrong with one of hdFlame's Pooch Pads. Bryson loves his, and he's become a better rider because of it. It keeps him from sliding around in the tub, as well as keeping him comfy and level. Best part, Bobby can do it with detachable straps so you can pull it out and convert to a normal seat quickly, or in our case, throw the pooch pad in the tent for Bryson's bed. No affiliation, but with all the new pooches riding, I figured I'd throw this tidbit out there.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #921
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,133
After three months of trying to get Niki into the side car, I about gave up. One day a buddy was over and asked how the side car training was coming along. I told him that I was about to give up. He called Niki over picked her up and put her in the side car and said "SIT/STAY" lol, after about 5 mins in the side car I started the bike up and rode around the property. Two years later I can't go on a two wheeler ride, because she get pissed at me.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #922
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 310
Thanks all for the tips. I will keep up the Clarence training!
catneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #923
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You also can't go wrong with one of hdFlame's Pooch Pads. Bryson loves his, and he's become a better rider because of it. It keeps him from sliding around in the tub, as well as keeping him comfy and level. Best part, Bobby can do it with detachable straps so you can pull it out and convert to a normal seat quickly, or in our case, throw the pooch pad in the tent for Bryson's bed. No affiliation, but with all the new pooches riding, I figured I'd throw this tidbit out there.
I've tried different types of foam in my Hannigan rig, but on the dirt roads and winter damaged pavement here in Vermont Barley was shaken up like a ball in a paint can. I discovered a memory foam dog bed at Orvis.com ($75 since it was a return with another dog's name on it) and it made a HUGE difference! Before, he was comfy...but not quite enough to sleep. Now, he stretches out and naps on those 14 hour days on the road.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #924
Hegy
Slainte!

Oddometer: 14
Havana on a ride around the block!

"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge
yourself into one."-Henry D. Thoreau

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
- Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)
Hegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #925
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897

Bruce!

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #926
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Bryson's usual ride, the red Ural, is down right now. So he got to spend this weekend riding to CRAP with MrsDonkeys on my Bonnie rig.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #927
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Just fooling around with the camera a bit and Murph will patiently wait for any photos to be done. I don't know about him being a "cow dog," but he darn sure is a native Texan. :-) Unfortunately, his six guns, holster, badge and Lone Ranger mask were packed away in a storage bin at the time these photos were taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705640886/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705640794/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705649626/

The hood ornament on the hack was roped down to pull the new bumper up to mark for some mounting holes. If I can just each Murph some ropin' tricks, I'll bet he can lasso that sucker from the hack seat and hogtie it pretty quick. :-)

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...

coupe1942 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 02:43 AM
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #928
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hannity likes it a lot better with the Doggles (only has one eye, have to protect it).

At 16 lbs not a lot of ballast but he likes to lean on the outside of the car

Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #929
Hegy
Slainte!

Oddometer: 14
Laugh

Beautiful machine and dog!!!!

"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge
yourself into one."-Henry D. Thoreau

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
- Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)
Hegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #930
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
I've taken her a couple time around my neighborhood and I took her on one short ride to the store with my son sitting in the hack with her. But this was her first hour plus ride. We hit some fun dirt roads and even passed some people walking dogs. She was really good and just sat or layed down on the seat.
Not sure if she likes the goggles, but she tolerates them fairly well. I didn't use any thing to tie her down. Cant decide if I should do that or not.

Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote