Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Did someone say 100mph gusts???? Hmmmmm. Have experienced genuine 100mph winds offshore in N. Sea and there is no freakin' way! If you laid the bike on its side in the road it would probably get blown into the ditch and you with it.

You shouldn't call people liars if you're ignorant.

Wind gusts near 100 mph reported; about 25,500 without power

November 30, 2011 | 10:37pm

Genuine 100mph gusts...guessed at the steady 75mph...could have been about 68 mph or so, I was on the road that day.

That was the second time that I've seen 100 mph wind gusts, last time was in Oregon during a 100 year storm...wiped out our last drive-in theatre.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
The Oklahoma panhandle is another windy place. The last 2 times I rode through there the wind was about 35 mph with gusts over 50 mph, and about 105 degrees. Wife was on back with me once, she said that she NEVER wants to ride through the panhandle again. I have a couple of riding buddies who are seriously considering hauling the bikes ( Goldwings) past the panhandle. Sounds like a good idea to me.

The panhandle of OK is the quickest way to get to Colorado, but I know people who will go 100 miles south to I40 to avoid the wind through the panhandle. I40 is better, not by much though.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,785
I'll take rain, freezing temps, a little snow but I hate wind.

I was traveling across UT on I-80 and ran out of gas between SLC and Wendover. The winds were so strong, it killed my MPG. I literally ran out of gas in front of the "Wendoner 20 more miles" mark.

Same thing traveling up I-25 from NM to CO. The crosswinds off the mountains turned over 3 tractors from Pueblo to Colorado Springs. The ride should've been a few hours but turned into half a day because I can only handle riding about 40 MPH on the freeway at a full lean, scraping pegs.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,032
FARK. Forecast to be windy AGAIN tomorrow -- 25-40MPH sustained with gusts to 55-60. And then again on Monday. And it was gusting to 40 most of the afternoon today. Have I ever mentioned I HATE "SPRING" IN NM!!!

I'll be stuck inside again tomorrow, after a whole week of being stuck inside due to a stupid cold. Sigh...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
In June of 2011 while the big AZ fire was burning I was riding from St Louis to Colorado Springs on I-70 and I had my Vstrom at a pretty stead 40* angle to go straight, then it would gust and a couple times blew me onto the shoulder or left lane before I could correct it...twas not a fun time crossing Kansas!!

I mentioned the AZ fire because there was a pretty good haze in KS and you could definately smell the smoke!!

Check out my Spotwalla link below for the map of that trip

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
Yea we were going to and coming back from the beach and were in LA (Lower Alabama) and my wife on her light 250 got blown all over the road. In the rain it was scary.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFNAR View Post
If anyone was out riding in Northern Cal yesterday, you know how hellacious the winds were blowing. I was coming from San Francisco...
That was a windy day, but at least for the part of the bay area I ride today was windier. Reminded me why I don't commute with a top case on a rear rack.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 513
A gang of three of us was coming back to Oakland from Big Sur yesterday (via Paso Robles- we missed a turn) and the wind was so bad it was blowing my petite buddy on her Ninja 250 from the right lane into the middle of the center lane on 101.

So we cut out east and rode 25 through the hills to Hollister. Great choice- much less wind, and an absolutely gorgeous rolling road down a flat river valley. We even found gas only 14 miles into my reserve!
DustyRags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #39
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 958
I've done that sort of "tap out" before. Riding north on the Oregon coast, in 2011, the gusts were blowing me around enough that I turned inland on 38 instead of 126 as planned. So nice to get away from the wind. Got good riding and some photo ops I woullda missed otherwise. I was pretty happy with my choice.

It was on the return home from that trip, refuelling along I5 in northern California, my bike blew off the sidestand twice. The bike landed back on the stand both times, but it was unnerving. The riding itself didn't feel as windy as the Oregon coast stretch on the way north.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 136
A great place for Old Men. Incredible blow jobs and still getting there.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Man, last night was brutal...thought about stopping, but pushed on through. Weather stations reported 48 mph for about 40 miles of my commute last night.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 513
Damn, that's rough! Where at? I was just buzzing around surface streets in Oakland/Berkeley at rush hour, and didn't feel a thing.
DustyRags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,488
I did the 3 passes yesterday. Sonora, Monitor and Ebbetts windy as all get out across the valley and heading up 395. Coming home late I set the spinnaker in Stockton and flew down to Santa Nella. Pacheco was gusty as always.
Why are my eyes all gritty and itchy today.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #44
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Nowhere have I ever seen wind like that in Argentine Patagonia. It's relentless it goes on for days. At times you had to be in first gear and still have a crazy time staying on the road, riding the KLR was like trying to push a barn door through a hurricane, it was terrifying. No place to take shelter, if you stopped the wind would knock you over. You just had to ride very slow and hang on for dear life!
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #45
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Damn, that's rough! Where at? I was just buzzing around surface streets in Oakland/Berkeley at rush hour, and didn't feel a thing.

Started at Travis Blvd and didn't let up until I got the tailwind when I turned south on 99. It was fairly calm when I left work in Berkeley.