Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #6601
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Hey guys do any of you know if there is a way to upgrade the rear shock in this littel bike so it can take a heavy rider and maybee lift the rear a little ??? Iv been looking around but im not quit shure what I should be looking for ? would the rear shock from the dr650 fit???
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #6602
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Hey guys do any of you know if there is a way to upgrade the rear shock in this littel bike so it can take a heavy rider and maybee lift the rear a little ??? Iv been looking around but im not quit shure what I should be looking for ? would the rear shock from the dr650 fit???

Most bang for your buck, I've found is upgrading the front suspension first. Hard to control a beast that wants to nose dive/snorkle.

Purportedly, the rear shock has some funky angle which might replacement difficult. I've not tried this one, but it is the only aftermarket rear shock I am aware of.

http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/.../dirtbikes.pdf
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #6603
cidd
doppler shift

yeh I was thinking of adding a spacer to the front maybee a 1/2" or so ? gota start somewhere cause it nose dives bad when you downshift.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #6604
Sunspark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi:

Apologies for the perhaps rarely asked odd question, but the exhaust pipe on the DR200SE is very close to the rider. Seems like the other bikes have the pipe farther out closer to the curve of the rear wheel. Does the proximity of the exhaust on the DR200SE get fumes on the back of clothes?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #6605
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Hi:

Apologies for the perhaps rarely asked odd question, but the exhaust pipe on the DR200SE is very close to the rider. Seems like the other bikes have the pipe farther out closer to the curve of the rear wheel. Does the proximity of the exhaust on the DR200SE get fumes on the back of clothes?

Not in the slightest. Not something to worry about.

I'm running the stock muffler with a Kientech-modified nozzle. The muffler is cool enough with Kientech jet setup that I can put throw-over saddlebags directly on the muffler guard without melting them.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #6606
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I wouldn't worry about the muffler...

1.) motorcycles (esp. carbureted) usually smell a little...plus being outside can make you smell a little bit from exposure to all the elements...there's just no way you're perfectly clean unless you're fully enclosed (like in cage). Being on a bike is about getting rid of that extra layer of metal so you can be out in the open... you'll just have to get used to it

2.) I don't know anything about design, but I imagine suzuki motorcycle designers setup the exhaust to be on the bike safely, without any harm to the rider. Whether it be heat, or the potentially cancerous exhaust fumes, I trust being on your bike is safe enough from an exhaust standpoint from the factory. I highly doubt any modification from yourself will do anything but make it louder.

for the rear suspension guy - did you already increase the prelead on the rear shock? my bike's still new to me, but I did see a preload adjustment on the shock. I know it's theoretically *just* used to set the sag (the amount springs compress from full topped out to fully loaded) correctly, but in a real world rider can be used to set the rear higher for heavier riders and "stiffen up the rear"

in my humble opinion - set the sag (and maybe swap out the springs to one with a higher spring rate) and be done with it. Suzuki (as with all motorcycle design) designed the suspension so that it compresses properly when bumps hit it from below, and so that it extends properly when you ride over drops in the road or when you're in the air...by swapping shocks from different bikes, you mess up all that design and potentially make the handling worse or just outright dangerous. Fact is, we're not smart enough how to make it "better". The only people that can, are suspension guys, and that will cost about $1,500 to do right...more than the bike is worth; and in the end you have a 13hp air cooled bike that still can't go...if you want more suspension, get a DRZ400!

northsouth15 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 09:08 PM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #6607
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

more riding - this thing is such a fun urban adventure bike. It takes me everywhere the XR100 couldn't even touch...so now I use it on the way to the gym, to pickup milk, and even to drop off small amounts of laundry

I live in Long Beach California where all the speeds are 40mph and below..which is *just* fast enough to pass cars, but not too slow where you can't open her up

Finally got the wheel a little higher today (usually it's a 6"-1 foot off the ground...this time I started to shift the the center of gravity towards the rear) in 1st gear...for me all dirt bikes feel like wheelie machines, and this is no exception.

I read online from a review magazine, that they felt the rear brake was either lockup or nothing, but I was able to actuate it a little bit. As a matter of fact, it only locked on pavement when really started to mash it. Scrubbing the tires is definitely giving it more traction, but I don't imagine it's going to help at all off-road...

still need to change the petcock, oil, and maybe even consider getting bars without this weird enduro bend...

100 miles down...400 to go to start using more throttle!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #6608
cidd
doppler shift

I put a 2" lift on my bars it help a ton made it feel like a bigger bike and you dont have to change any of the cabels to do it .
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #6609
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
86 DR200 oil leak

After a fresh rebuild last fall my dr has been leaking oil from this hole. My mechanic says he has never seen this before and tried to find a cylinder to compare it to but could only find 125's. does anyone know why this hole is there? The bike runs great I'm just wanting to leave the trails oil free. Can I drill,tap, and plug the hole?

What are your thoughts?

85suzuki screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 07:03 PM
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #6610
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

I think it would help if the pics were a bit larger
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #6611
85suzuki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
I think it would help if the pics were a bit larger
LOL downsized.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6612
cidd
doppler shift

Is that the front of the cylinder ? if so that could be an extra boss for an accessory of some type to bolt to or maybe a spot to tap an oil galley running up to the top of the motor to oil the valves ? either way the metal separating the two has gotten a small hole in it and it would be smart to fix it if you can b4 the hole gets bigger.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #6613
85suzuki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Is that the front of the cylinder ? if so that could be an extra boss for an accessory of some type to bolt to or maybe a spot to tap an oil galley running up to the top of the motor to oil the valves ? either way the metal separating the two has gotten a small hole in it and it would be smart to fix it if you can b4 the hole gets bigger.
Yes it is the front of the cylinder. The hole is a manufactured hole for sure as to who the manufacturer or person is that made it I don't know? I just wonder why its there and if it would be a problem if I plugged it.
Thanks for your reply
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #6614
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

well, I checked the front of my '99 200se and I have the hole too...but it doesn't leak

I would honestly be more curious about why it's leaking; that would better answer if it's okay to plug

if that's leaking internally - how is oil getting there? when the engine was rebuilt, was it bored out? was there supposed to be a metal wall backing to it that is now removed?

if so, then plugging it is not the answer; you might need to re-sleeve it...

but who knows - better to figure out why it's leaking first
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #6615
PaulRas
n00b

Oddometer: 1
sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
I downsized my rear sprocket from a 45 to a 41. Gearing is now 15-41. This does two things. Lower revs and gives me pretty good top speed (mid 70's) and enhances my cruising speed. Although acceleration in first and second is better when you short shift rather than wind out it does do very well climbing. I've had it up in the mountains and it would go anywhere I could hang on!

My only wish was for a 6 speed other than that it's a great bike. I'm planning a trip from Ohio to Nova Scotia in June 09' on this little bugger. If anyone is interested let me know.

I just switched to IRC GP 110's and installed a Happy Trails rack for aluminum panniers. I've also added a Garmin Quest II GPS, battery tender and auxillary power outputs.

I'll try and up load some pics. Wardie

I've been looking everywhere for a 41t sprocket and can not find one anywhere! is there any site that has them they you could put up a link of?
PaulRas is offline   Reply With Quote