Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #2446
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I'm vacilating again,,, this MOSS problem and now the broken fender. If I can get one OTD for $5200, tho, that's a deal hard to beat.

Still on the road (Stecoah, NC right now) but will be home by the weekend. I'll call BMW Las Vegas to check out availability. Cheap enuff.

(The other deal I have on the hook is an 03 DRZ 400 for $2000, with goodies already attached. Still, the 650 sounds good. )

You should probably hit up Eurosport Asheville right now. You are close, and they are a fantastic dealer with bikes in stock. Nobody has had a reported problem coming out of their dealership yet. They set them up right the first time.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #2447
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I'm vacilating again,,, this MOSS problem and now the broken fender. If I can get one OTD for $5200, tho, that's a deal hard to beat.

Still on the road (Stecoah, NC right now) but will be home by the weekend. I'll call BMW Las Vegas to check out availability. Cheap enuff.

(The other deal I have on the hook is an 03 DRZ 400 for $2000, with goodies already attached. Still, the 650 sounds good. )
No Pressure, buy the one you want most. But at least go ride one, that is what sealed the deal for me!

The MOSS fueling issue is an easy fix-- takes a few minutes and free. In my experience the fueling issue sorted itself out once the bike had a few miles on it. After the first 150 miles the fueling got smooth as butter, no stalls, I guess the ECU adapted? I think many of the owners who bought recently after the fueling update just need to relax and ride.

The fender is also fairly isolated and fully covered under warranty. Cheap insurance on the fender is the $14 Enduro Engineering plate adapter in place of the heavy factory unit. Even if you had to replace the fender yourself later down the line it's not an expensive item, bodywork on this bike is CHEAP! My Terra front end was under $60, and a replacement radiator guard was only $14. The stickers were expensive though so I skipped the front logo... $11 a piece
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #2448
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
No pressure, lol. The LAST thing you want to do until you are sure of the bike you want and you can afford it is to test ride a nice European bike. You come back with a big $hit eating grin and the dealer knows he has you. You ride home on the new bike, hands down.

It is better to be sure before you test ride one. You will always be weak after a test ride. BMW dealers do this all the time with their dinosaur $20K bikes. Later it will be for sale at a fire sale price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextAdventre View Post
No Pressure, buy the one you want most. But at least go ride one, that is what sealed the deal for me!

The MOSS fueling issue is an easy fix-- takes a few minutes and free. In my experience the fueling issue sorted itself out once the bike had a few miles on it. After the first 150 miles the fueling got smooth as butter, no stalls, I guess the ECU adapted? I think many of the owners who bought recently after the fueling update just need to relax and ride.

The fender is also fairly isolated and fully covered under warranty. Cheap insurance on the fender is the $14 Enduro Engineering plate adapter in place of the heavy factory unit. Even if you had to replace the fender yourself later down the line it's not an expensive item, bodywork on this bike is CHEAP! My Terra front end was under $60, and a replacement radiator guard was only $14. The stickers were expensive though so I skipped the front logo... $11 a piece
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #2449
fpgirard
n00b

Oddometer: 2
5400 OTD? What dealership?

Surfinpig - what dealership offered you that pricing? Would love to scarf one up at that price.
fpgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #2450
chism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
terra 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Where are these discounted TR650s I'm reading about?
I have a 2013 terra with less than 100 miles that Im thinking about selling.Im located in western Ky. I would need 5500 for it.I didn't get a deal as some have..email me if interested bmwjones6400@gmail.com
chism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #2451
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgirard View Post
Surfinpig - what dealership offered you that pricing? Would love to scarf one up at that price.
THe dealer was Fast by Ferracci, Willow Grove P.A. Rebates from husky for that model are $2500 as of last week. so with that said +500 set up and tax tags for Philadelphia pa came to $5400. The bike is bad ass but it needs wind protection. I'm affraid with ktm buying the brand no one wants to commit to after market development until the future of the model is clear. Ive called every major company for a skid plate and get the same 6 week window. I'm really hoping happy trails comes up with a plate/highway peg/ crash bar system like the one i have for the klr.
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #2452
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
A dealer name at last! Thanks a bunch. Now, as long as I'm feelin' lucky, how about a dealer out west?
It'd be nice to save $600+ on shipping....
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #2453
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
A dealer name at last! Thanks a bunch. Now, as long as I'm feelin' lucky, how about a dealer out west?
Or one in CA near LA? I got $6K for Strada in a link I posted here, and BMW of Long Beach gave $6K verbally, but $7.1K registered with taxes including $160 shipping, blah, blah, blah. I haven't got a total price from the $6K link posted on this link earlier.

I did not know $2.5K was for these models or the Terra alone. I assumed it would at first being the biggest, but it is just $1500 to $2500 and up to the gab of the dealers. If I got $6K total including taxes and register, I'd jump a lot more. As it is, I think I'll wait a little longer to my June 30, 2013 deadline before I make my mind up. Yes, it is the best bike made imo, but there is enough uncertainy unfolding by Pierer lately, that he scares me a little. I respect him more now, but i am afraid of him as a potential buyer like each and everyone of his employees.

$2500 discount? Done deal! $1500? It's still a buyers market, and there will be sales until they get rid of this backlog of bikes (accounting sales). Sales will get better and better until they advertise $2500 off (and then I will buy!) ymmv
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #2454
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,448
Quote:
call around and see who will deal:
http://www.cycletrader.com/Husqvarna...:asc&newsort=1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #2455
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,492
Motosportz, B&B, SW-Motech, Touratech and Ricochet have plates in production now. There shouldn't be a wait unless you are holding out for Happy Trails or Altrider.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #2456
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
The bike is bad ass but it needs wind protection.
personal preference, completely.... I did a weekend road trip to New Mexico, with some day rides while there. A little over 1,000 miles on the road with several hours on the interstate headed for the barn.

No wind protection and it was not a bother at all, nice clean air...
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #2457
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
personal preference, completely.... I did a weekend road trip to New Mexico, with some day rides while there. A little over 1,000 miles on the road with several hours on the interstate headed for the barn.

At 3k mi mostly road with mine, I too prefer it stock. Cleanest air I've ever exprienced while seated on a motorcycle.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #2458
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

I agree. I believe many make too big a deal about wind protection. There is A LOT to be said for QUIET, CLEAN air. Less fatigue from buffeting, wind noise.

I've fiddled with shields on bikes for over 20 years, many dual sports too starting with XL Hondas, KLR's, KTM's. My current DR650 is, for me, better without any shield.
Finding a good, quiet shield is not easy in my experience.

I've ridden my DR650, sans shield, from California to Colorado and back, San Fran to La Paz, Baja, 3 times. All done with no shield. On interstates I cruise at around 75 mph. Guess I'm just used to it.

Your posture and stance on the bike make a difference. Lean in a bit, relax. Many many 10 hour days, no shield. Clean, quiet air.

I can see Canadians and East Coast guys wanting a big barn door for cold weather riding, but figuring out how to get a shield quiet is a challenge in itself ... it's never One Size Fits All, and few are quiet or deliver clean, undisturbed air.

Choices!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #2459
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,448
The only good way to get clean air from a shield is to use a design that also lets air up the back side to help negate the negative air pocket behind the shield. Naca ducts and laminar flow do this.

Their is a reason sport tourers have a shield that stands off from the bike. It lets air up the back side. If not, the air comes over top the shield and collapses behind the top edge of the shield in a mess of dirty air...and then into your helmet.

Most any shield bluntly attached to a bike with out this consideration will more than likely buffet on you. Yes you can get luck, but more often no. Madstad properly addresses is this issue, as does Laminar Lip and Cal Sci & sometimes Cee Bailey's.

Since the TR fair area is close to the DR650 this Laminar Lip (from B-King) might line up and mount just fine.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe
The nice thing with these is you can add or remove per your riding needs.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60

eakins screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 12:55 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #2460
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
The MRA VarioScreen might work for TR..
I have it on a wrr and like it very much....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...rt-motorcycles

(I use the black plastic mounting brackets sold separately ..)