Oddometer: 10
Wanna chip in hoping to hear an update on this project
Apexcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #484
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Awesome

This project reminds me of the time I drove a 70 MG midget 1800 miles on two cylinders, NO brakes no starter, wire wheels that balanced themselves as they hurled spokes at fellow motorists, sitting on a five gallon bucket while the headlights flashed the beat of My Sharona. Had a blast...
- I seriously think I NEED a Minsk.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #485
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
I want more of this build and I want it now.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #486
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
I hope you know that your snow-globe of a shop is just so darn funny because it reminds me of the times when I tried to do right but got it all wrong. A silly example is when I primed a fairing in my apartment, got primer over everything and ruined my favorite Tom Waits album that was playing on the turntable. On the other end of the spectrum is a time when I flooded the basement of an apartment complex back flushing the swimming pool filters (and left to get lunch ).

Ask my dad and he'll give you three dozen more stories of my idiocy.

You were doing everything right (trying to not get soda dust on your neighbor's house/yard) but it turned out all wrong. It's universal. We've all done it a million times (but you have the best pics ).

I heart your thread.
I subscribed to this thread early on and then the "soda blasting" incident happened. I can relate to this as when my best friend and I were doing a frame up rebuild of a motorcycle he had, we used a soda blaster - in my shop. Three years later I am still finding little piles of soda from time to time. At least after three years it is starting to smell like a shop again.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #487
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
I have made actual progress on the Minsk! But first, apparently, I have to do some housecleaning.

Derek and I are friends, and he is merely helping me with this retarded happy-fun-time idiotic project that I got myself into. He is not doing it the way he wants to. His original recommendation was to replace the head tube, but after much bitching, whining, kvetching, and whimpering by me about how "that is going to be so much wooooork and I don't have the moooooooney" he finally agreed to forget everything that he knew was right and safe and worthy of his shop, and just sort of mash the thing back together. So, make no mistake, THIS IS MY DOING. Derek still to this day complains about not doing it to his standard, and I am constantly telling him "fuck it, its good enough as is! Can I take it home an assemble it now??" I have never pointed this out in the thread, because I never had to defend myself or my friend who is helping me from forum trolling dipshits. This has, up until now, been the single most enjoyable forum activity I have ever taken part in. Love doing the ridiculous work, love making people laugh, and I love the people who are following my escapades.

I am, first and foremost, a car guy. I have a small collection of cars and trucks that I am incredibly enthusiastic about, I love them to death, I do all of my own work, I off road my trucks, I track my sports cars (and not so sporty cars), and I go on road trips with all of them. However, because of the overwhelming number of asswipes on forums, I don't participate in anything. No meets, no shows, no group drives, no posts about my cars, trips, or repairs/upgrades. It simply is not worth the aggravation. For instance, I already could have written the Minsk update, but instead I find myself doing this shit.

I drove my rickety old British vehicle through Baja last year, and I didn't write a post about it because I didn't want to defend myself against a mob a Monster Energy - Fox Racing - Rockstar flat bill hat wearing, shirtless morons who would hijack my thread to inform me that it would have been "hella more sicker if you had, like, unpainted fiberglass flares on, like, the sides of your truck bro. And also you should have done it in a Ford Ranger"

So in conclusion, thank you Mr TwinShocker for stopping by my admittedly idiotic post, and lousing it all up. I appreciate your concern for my financial well being, or whatever the fuck you think you are doing, but please refrain from providing further assistance. Seriously, this is stupid. Not kidding, leave it alone. You can come peruse the updates any time you like, but don't post. We are having fun here, and NOTHING is being done properly.

Wait, I thought I was done, but I have one more point. Did this dude seriously not read ANY part of this thread? I mean, it starts out with a cracked swing arm, pivots made out of stripped out 3/4" nuts, cable guides made by welding fender washers to the frame, you name it, it is fucked, scary, and flat out WRONG on this bike, which is why this is so much fun to work on and write about!

I do not want an argument, I do not want a debate, I do not want to discuss this with TwinShocker at all any more AT ALL ever. Get it, TwinShocker? Don't Respond, don't post here, please. Also, please note that I never insulted you, your intelligence, your social status, your friends, your family, your pets, your vehicles, or engineering/fabricating prowess. I even managed to keep swear words to what I consider to be the bare minimum! I just want this to go away.

ok done.
Far out man, well put!
Cheers ! ! !
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #488
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Me Too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexcarver View Post
Wanna chip in hoping to hear an update on this project
Me too. I have enjoyed this thread today. I am interested in the status of the Minsk Restoration. Still taking donations?
Thanks for the great, entertaining updates. I think your project and thread is awesome. All the Best.
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #489
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Time for a friendly push

O.K. I am in too. Specifically I am offering to ride over and ply you with beer and offer to hold said beer while you tighten bolts or whatever comes next. BTW giving/holding beer is the extent of my mechanical ability.

Cheers

Kevan
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #490
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
You are a tenacious lot of weirdos, aintcha? OK, we are back at it. I put in two evenings at Derek's working on the stem, and there is a possibly exciting (horrifying) new development. Derek, apparently tired of me staring at the floor and mumbling incoherent Star Wars references while he works on the lathe, has decided that I should start doing the lathe work myself. Everybody wins! I learn how to use a lathe (which is handy, since I have one, but so far I've only used it to butcher some small Range Rover parts into existence with all the finesse of a drunk hurling insults at a dead horse) and Derek gets to enjoy the adrenaline rush that comes with watching some joker fuck around with your super expensive machinery.

As it turns out, there is a lot of math involved with running a lathe. This comes as an unpleasant surprise. And not metric math, math with 1/1000ths. And 1/10ths of 1/1000ths. What the shit? Who thought that was a good idea? Clearly not anyone in my bloodline.

Basically I don't have a very exciting update, just some more pictures of a thing in a lathe, except this time the progress is much slower, and the questions I am asking are even stupider. "What the hell do you mean 50 thousandthsthsths?" But the point is, things are happening. Maybe a few more evenings and the stem will be done, or I screw it up and we start over.

Here, make this:

Start by making that doohickey not move when you turn that other doohickey

Wow. Impressive, right? A thing with a hole in it. Shut up, it took a long time.

'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #491
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:

Beautimous! Nice work.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #492
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,234
Good on ya!
Learning the workings of a lathe can be intimidating, especially someone elses machine.
There is an up side, the mess made is much easier to clean up.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #493
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 687
Good to see you back at it.

Pissed off though. From 15-18 I could use a Lathe pretty well. Just reminded me that I have lost that skill over 12 years. bollix

Somebody tried to sell me a Minsk for $50 the other evening 'cause his flight was next morning. Should have bought it. . .
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #494
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Sweet!!! Progress.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #495
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
As it turns out, there is a lot of math involved with running a lathe. This comes as an unpleasant surprise. And not metric math, math with 1/1000ths. And 1/10ths of 1/1000ths. What the shit? Who thought that was a good idea? Clearly not anyone in my bloodline.
Hey, they just made up metric inches! At least they picked a power of 10; they could have used powers of 2.

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote