User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
2014 honda ctx700 dct abs (ctx700d)

Any one test drive or seen one in person ? Looks like a DN-01 ?

TheReaper!

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...00D)-109732295
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Look pretty cool but I have not seen one yet.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,738
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,105
That is a good-looking bike! I'm not a big fan of the forward pegs/controls, but I'm also not in the market.

The accessories look sharp and functional...

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ct...ryPreview.aspx

Really. Not in the market. Ohhhh, the red is really nice.... no! Not in the market.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I really like the blacked out look of the Naked model better.

It's the same engine and tranny as the NC series. I'm not sure if they raked it out any, but I would imagine that it is largely the same except for seating position.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
I just checked the specs & it is 500.4 #'s curb weight. Other than the fact that it's an auto shift why (in general comparison) would I spend that much $$$ to get rid of my BMW R1150R-low seat version, that has far more power & weighs much less & is paid for to get the Honda? Is this about not having to shift or whats the attraction otherwise?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,163
I think Honda is going after (what they see as) untapped markets.

New riders and Geezers (low seat height and automatic)

As one of the latter and also a short guy - each year (day?) throwing a leg over a bike is more difficult and hurts more. Leaning forward onto my wrists at all is painful after a very short time. This could be a motorcycle that keeps guys like me riding for a few more years. (Though scooters - for me - work better)

I believe Honda feels this bike will be a non-intimidating bike for new riders since they can put both feet on the ground and not have to learn to operate a clutch while also learning to ride.

I think clearly this is a compromise bike and not intended for the general market of riders. I applaud Honda for thinking out side the box. Lord knows there are enough Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Touring machines etc. out there for the general market.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
RE: no clutch, never underestimate the appeal of not having to clutch in and out in city traffic.

I love my manual bikes (and cars), but using either in traffic all commute long can be a painful thing.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
I really like riding with an automatic.

I thing it would have a huge take rate on the Goldwing.

I think most Harley riders would like automatic transmissions too but I don't think their egos would let them go for it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I think the nekkid one is awesome looking.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I really like riding with an automatic.

I thing it would have a huge take rate on the Goldwing.

I think most Harley riders would like automatic transmissions too but I don't think their egos would let them go for it.
I think it depends on where you are... in life as well as in your riding style. I owned 9 Harleys over the years - with the wide powerband with those v-twins, shifting is part of the experience. One of my favorite bikes was a BMW RT - I really enjoyed carving up the canyon near our home, and I can't imagine going into and out of those curves without complete control of the gearing.

With a small motor, like most scooters, you'd be shifting all the time trying to keep that motor and RPMs happy. The automatic just works with what a scooter is all about.

There have been other automatic transmission motorcycles in the past, and they weren't a sale success. Honda is smart offering these 700s either way. I will be surprised if the automatic is a sales leader.

I think it is less about ego, and more about the experience. After 45 years of shifting motorcycles, my feet "twitched" on the scooter for the first few weeks.

I like the CVT on my scooter. I don't think I'd care for that on a motorcycle. But, I have never tried one. This Honda is a good-looking bike. Style counts. The "motorcycle experience" counts. It will be interesting to see how the sales stack up.

Captain Jim
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Even with great new products

Honda should take a closer look at their motorcycle dealers. Possibly go undercover. Maybe clean house like Suzuki is doing.
When we started looking to buy a few months back, Honda products were on the list. It was the dealers (two of them) that turned us off. They were arrogant, unfriendly, and I guess the Honda products were supposed to simply sell themselves. Don’t know how these two dealers are still in business.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I've wanted one of those (the "N" model) ever since Honda announced them. I love the forward pegs. That's why I ride scooters and cruisers. Can't deal with having my legs all scrunched up underneath me. I would like to have the automatic model, but unfortunately they only sell it with ABS, which I don't want. Can't afford one now anyway. Will need to buy a new car soon.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
Slickvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
Honda should take a closer look at their motorcycle dealers. Possibly go undercover. Maybe clean house like Suzuki is doing.
When we started looking to buy a few months back, Honda products were on the list. It was the dealers (two of them) that turned us off. They were arrogant, unfriendly, and I guess the Honda products were supposed to simply sell themselves. Don’t know how these two dealers are still in business.
Agreed. The dealer I purchased my PCX-150 from was not my first choice, but they had a big sale last month. As we were looking over the display model, the assistant sales manager approached my wife and I and said " I know your purse will fit under the seat just fine"

I said "I don't have a purse".

He just pretended he didn't hear me and went on with a weak sales pitch.
Motorcycle dealer experiences make me sad like visiting a car dealership does.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I think Honda is going after (what they see as) untapped markets.

New riders and Geezers (low seat height and automatic)

As one of the latter and also a short guy - each year (day?) throwing a leg over a bike is more difficult and hurts more. Leaning forward onto my wrists at all is painful after a very short time. This could be a motorcycle that keeps guys like me riding for a few more years. (Though scooters - for me - work better)

I believe Honda feels this bike will be a non-intimidating bike for new riders since they can put both feet on the ground and not have to learn to operate a clutch while also learning to ride.

I think clearly this is a compromise bike and not intended for the general market of riders. I applaud Honda for thinking out side the box. Lord knows there are enough Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Touring machines etc. out there for the general market.
I qualify as something of a geezer too @ 69 & counting. The leg thing is no problem for me-actually I'm very active & healthy guy. Tired from farm work today & moving sawmill lumber yesterday but ready to ride my big bike now! Mines for sale because I want to get into a lighter machine for when I'm simply older than now(plus I plan to ride my BMW vintage machine soon) and willing for that next machine to be a scoot. My MC has riser /set backs so the arm stuff is a non issue. The leg part is a non issue on the road but in parking lots & on the side of the road it can be a bitch if I don't get to call my spots as to when/where I can pull over on the side of the road,etc..Too bad that Honda "went outside the box & created a MC with 51hp"-thats a sick machine compared to other modern MC's & I'm not a HP freak or I'd be after 100hp these days. My old BMW R75/5 has that MC beat on ergonomics (for a geezer) & performance-only the brakes & electrics are ahead of that game w/Honda. I must admit, I really don't like the "space ship/star wars" look of most all modern MC's. The Honda will never get my $$$...Tupperware isn't cool!
I think the real problem in MC's offered today is that many are too tall for certain riders(me) or too much HP when what I really want is handling-think vintage Honda 500cc MC-they were far from the most powerful but arguably were the best riding bikes ever made & with some reliability plus you could get on one & afford it. Wh7y not use that concept and throw in modern brakes,etc. then if you want an automatic go buy a scoot. MC's don't need AT.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 04:26 PM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote