ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #2236
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer
 
sprocketjock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 823
I can not picture Ben singing although I'd pay to see it.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #2237
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
sometimes just because a person has something to say doesn't mean that what they said is of any value to any one. Piug should've just dismissed Schwantz's comments as not worth taking the time to respond.
yes, maybe Puig should have just dismissed it. But now that he decided not to, it looks to me like he had much more point, than Schwantz ever did. If you make disputable public comments like that, be prepared that you might also get public replies to them.

Cannot say, that I'm a fan of his, but this round went to Puig.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 01:12 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #2238
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,566
Gay riders or workers in motogp

Motomatters editor David Emmett put the following question at the pre-Jerez media conference:

David Emmett: “This is a question for everyone — it is quite a difficult question. Last week Jason Collins, an NBA player, admitted he was homosexual. Now there have been are no openly homosexual MotoGP riders. I want to hear your thoughts on why that is not the case. Are people afraid of coming out as gay, or are you all just more really interested in women?”

Responses and his write-up are here, along with a bunch of impassioned comments already.

In his report, Emmett castigates himself for not having put the question better. Let me go on record as opining that he put the question bloody well, given the conditions under which he asked it. Sometimes good enough is perfect, and it seems to me this was one of those times.

Emmett says his timing was connected with the Jason Collins article but the motivation for asking the question at all came from his having known people who had left the MotoGP paddock because of discomfort with the (perceived) general level of aggressive machismo and homophobia. To some extent, I was surprised to read that. I am not convinced the atmosphere reported of MotoGP reflects that in the paddocks of less exalted motorcycle competitions. But it is a long time since I have hung around in any of those.

Only comment I would make is that MotoGP's celebration of physical risk-taking has a lot in common with the gay community's celebration of social risk-taking. Courage is on display in both arenas.
__________________
Sorting out the S4Rs Ohlins shock: click here.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #2239
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,125
As we've come to expect from David, great stuff.
Personally I don't think it matters to racing. It does matter very much to society.
As David points out there is a financial side to this, that in MotoGP could make a difference.

Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Motomatters editor David Emmett put the following question at the pre-Jerez media conference:

David Emmett: “This is a question for everyone — it is quite a difficult question. Last week Jason Collins, an NBA player, admitted he was homosexual. Now there have been are no openly homosexual MotoGP riders. I want to hear your thoughts on why that is not the case. Are people afraid of coming out as gay, or are you all just more really interested in women?”

Responses and his write-up are here, along with a bunch of impassioned comments already.

In his report, Emmett castigates himself for not having put the question better. Let me go on record as opining that he put the question bloody well, given the conditions under which he asked it. Sometimes good enough is perfect, and it seems to me this was one of those times.

Emmett says his timing was connected with the Jason Collins article but the motivation for asking the question at all came from his having known people who had left the MotoGP paddock because of discomfort with the (perceived) general level of aggressive machismo and homophobia. To some extent, I was surprised to read that. I am not convinced the atmosphere reported of MotoGP reflects that in the paddocks of less exalted motorcycle competitions. But it is a long time since I have hung around in any of those.

Only comment I would make is that MotoGP's celebration of physical risk-taking has a lot in common with the gay community's celebration of social risk-taking. Courage is on display in both arenas.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #2240
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Kropotkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Dieren, The Low Low Lands of Holland
Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
As we've come to expect from David, great stuff.
Personally I don't think it matters to racing. It does matter very much to society.
As David points out there is a financial side to this, that in MotoGP could make a difference.

Good stuff.
After I posted this, I was contacted by one team owner (in WSBK) who lost a potential sponsor over this. Gay couple, wealthy business, loved racing, couldn't handle the homophobia in the paddock.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #2241
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Responses and his write-up are here

The best answer was that given by Stefan Bradl, who joked "Maybe if it makes us faster we will think about it…"
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #2242
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
The best answer was that given by Stefan Bradl, who joked "Maybe if it makes us faster we will think about it…"
It doesn't come across in the transcript well but I thought JLo's response was pretty funny as well. Great question. I wish Hayden would have been up there to answer it. He's usually pretty funny in a dry way about that sort of stuff.

Pretty sad if there is a homophobic culture in MotoGP and WSBK. I mean seriously, get over it already.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #2243
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,602
Since they are European based series I figured it was a non issue.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #2244
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,403
Rossi, Jerez

Don't you sort of feel, if Rossi can't win in the dry at Jerez this weekend, he's not going to be winning?
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #2245
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper
 
snowhawk jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
The best answer was that given by Stefan Bradl, who joked "Maybe if it makes us faster we will think about it…"

:respect...

A true racer posing the only question that matters, will it make me faster?
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #2246
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 445
Put hotpants on Pedrosa's umbrella men -- that'll change the tone of the sport a bit.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #2247
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.
 
Closed Casket's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Pac NorthWet
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
The best answer was that given by Stefan Bradl, who joked "Maybe if it makes us faster we will think about it…"
Or the Lance Armstrong tack for speed - aka UNIBALLER. LOL
__________________
Still plays with motorcycles....

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #2248
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Ben Spies will undergo further medical checks on his physical condition

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2013/...edical-checks/

Not sure what that means exactly, but it doesn't sound very good.
__________________
+0
mdubya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #2249
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January
 
rjf's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
Oddometer: 4,376
in other sorta, kinda moto gp related news -



http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Spor...er_869289.html
__________________
Central Coast ADVenture bike training courses and 1 on 1 lessons - For details Click HERE
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #2250
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer
 
spezjag's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 8,204
Practicing for the Baja 1000?
__________________
Gary

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014