Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3901
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I ordered one of these Profill filters for my new bike and new tank (both of which I have not picked up yet) on 4/13/13 and surprisingly it has already arrived. It is utterly amazing how quickly this thing made it here from Australia. It would have been delivered yesterday but since I was not home, I had to go pick it up at the Post Office. Amazing service! I did not expect it to show up for at least another week.
Twin-air now makes these too
http://www.twinair.com/usa/twin-air-fuel-filters
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #3902
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,532
Not a commuter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
I admit i have not spent alot of time searching this thread, but I was wondering if any one had any input on riding any distance at all on this bike? I was talking to the dealer and he did not seem very confident at all about riding these very far on pavement. Any and all opinons would be very helpful, or if someone could point in the right direction to look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
'Riding any distance' or 'riding very far' depends on ones point of view.

How often do you want to change the oil? Think 150hr top end, a valve check every 50 hours or so. It's not a streetbike, it's a dirtbike that is legal to ride on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Street riding the 500 EXC? I've ridden the 20 miles or so on the freeway between my dealer and home a couple if times. Not as bad as you might expect, but still pretty awkward, mostly because of the tires. I would not shy away from this as a way of connecting the trails, but I definitely would not want to commute to work on it, quite aside from the maintenance schedule.

These guys say it all. I just finished a nice 125 mile ride with about 20 miles of pavement.... I hate the pavement...even twisty country roads...but its necessary to get to the "good stuff" where the 5hunny does what it was designed to do... ride off road...

This is NOT a commuter scoot.... especially for around 9K...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #3903
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Once you remove the evap solenoid on a desmog you have the harness connector to deal with --many guys tape it up or put grease in it.

I was looking for a better way to cap this harness connector

After tons of searching I found a good solution

bmotorsports.com

item conn 10557 male connector and item conn 56059 cavity plug --get a few of the plugs -at least 2

just put in the red cavity plugs and this connector snaps right into the harness for a clean watertight plug
Hey MJ-

I ordered these parts up and they were not plug and play for me. The plug fit into the factory plug/harness but would not snap into place. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #3904
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
My 500EXC finally arrived at the dealer today so I picked it up and assembled it. Just finished cruising around the neighborhood with it.

This thing is going to be so much fun!!!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #3905
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
Hey MJ-

I ordered these parts up and they were not plug and play for me. The plug fit into the factory plug/harness but would not snap into place. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
just install the rubber cavity plugs in the round holes where wires would come through - that provides weather seal

then push the new ( male) plug into the bike harness ( female) until the wire clip on that same plug ( female) is past the two tabs on side of male plug

basically snaps in and locks- might need to push hard to seat
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #3906
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,532
Quote:
My 500EXC finally arrived at the dealer today so I picked it up and assembled it. Just finished cruising around the neighborhood with it.

I have been an avid rider for over 40 years. I had the 530 since it came out in 2008 and by 2012 I was simply bored with riding. Didnt go as much, always excuses, bla bla. Then I rode a well set up 500 through a good set of single track. OMG!

I dearly love the 5hunny and ride every chance I get, and even when I shouldn't.

I hope you get the same JOY out of yours.

This has been said many time... KTM hit a home run with this scoot...
Im wondering what the new models will change to screw it up?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #3907
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
just install the rubber cavity plugs in the round holes where wires would come through - that provides weather seal

then push the new ( male) plug into the bike harness ( female) until the wire clip on that same plug ( female) is past the two tabs on side of male plug

basically snaps in and locks- might need to push hard to seat
I pushed very hard and even trimmed back the top of the male plug to get it to sit higher so it snapped in and no luck...
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #3908
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Love my new Pumpkin but Still Pops after De-Smog

After Lurking on this thread for a while I finally sold my 250XC and bought a 500 EXC. Dealer De-Smogged and added FMF pipe and added XCW box with Euro map. Runs great but still pops on decel. Any ideas or is this normal?

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #3909
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 74
DiVango,
Welcome and you're going to love this bike!
My bike is setup pretty much the same as yours so try setting your TPS (post #1203 on pg 81 in this thread), it cured my popping and flameouts.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #3910
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Nice. I'm looking to find a 500exc in a couple weeks, and will be looking for a house in the Monroe/Duvall area. See ya on the road.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #3911
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
I pushed very hard and even trimmed back the top of the male plug to get it to sit higher so it snapped in and no luck...
maybe ask them to send you another
take a picture of what you have and post it
I even have one spare I can perhaps send to you
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #3912
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks for the link Bill - When we get our bikes side by side it'll be interesting to see if there are any noticeable differences in the light thrown between the BD and Sanjoh's set-up.
Here is a link to Sanjoh's Lights that shows the output and beam width for each of his lights.http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3095
I am using a model 60 for my headlight on my 2012 500 EXC and I can tell you that you will not out ride this light. It is Bright!!! It lights up the road signs a quarter mile away. It has a nice beam pattern that lights up both sides of the road and puts a nice beam down the middle. It has a dimmer that goes from full power to off and for the low beam I run the dimmer at about 40 to 50%.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #3913
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
I admit i have not spent alot of time searching this thread, but I was wondering if any one had any input on riding any distance at all on this bike? I was talking to the dealer and he did not seem very confident at all about riding these very far on pavement. Any and all opinons would be very helpful, or if someone could point in the right direction to look.
I have 240 hours and 5900 miles on my 2012 500 EXC and I can tell you it is a fun bike on the street. I regularly do 100 mile street rides with it.
Maintenance on this bike has been minimal. Keep the air filter clean, grease the countershaft sprocket splines, and change the oil every 15 - 25 hours depending on how hard you ride. The valves clearances are still within specs. The dealer said the engine would easily go a 1000 hours before any work.
I am using Dunlop 606's front and rear and they work and wear well on the street and dirt. The last 606 rear tire had 1800 miles on it when i changed it. I run 17 psi front and rear for the street and 12 psi for the dirt.
Gearing is 15t - 49t street and 13t or 14t - 49t for dirt depending where I am going.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #3914
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
After Lurking on this thread for a while I finally sold my 250XC and bought a 500 EXC. Dealer De-Smogged and added FMF pipe and added XCW box with Euro map. Runs great but still pops on decel. Any ideas or is this normal?
They look so shiny when they are new.
For the popping on decel look for an exhaust air leak or the TPS adjustment.
You HAVE removed the black evap. cannister right? That can also cause popping after it fills up with fuel.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #3915
charlie27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
I have 240 hours and 5900 miles on my 2012 500 EXC and I can tell you it is a fun bike on the street. I regularly do 100 mile street rides with it.
Maintenance on this bike has been minimal. Keep the air filter clean, grease the countershaft sprocket splines, and change the oil every 15 - 25 hours depending on how hard you ride. The valves clearances are still within specs. The dealer said the engine would easily go a 1000 hours before any work.
I am using Dunlop 606's front and rear and they work and wear well on the street and dirt. The last 606 rear tire had 1800 miles on it when i changed it. I run 17 psi front and rear for the street and 12 psi for the dirt.
Gearing is 15t - 49t street and 13t or 14t - 49t for dirt depending where I am going.
what size D606 rear tire are you running?

I am wondering if the D606 130/90-18 will work with 13/48 gearing in stock chain or if it will hit the shock gaurd?
charlie27 is offline   Reply With Quote