User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
GabeJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
G650GS vs NC700x

I'm thinking about a new bike, and I'm considering a used BMW thumper or the new Honda. I ride 60 miles a day on the freeway in one of the windiest places in the country. I'm 80 miles from city traffic and like to explore. There are lots of gravel roads and two track trails around my house I'd be interested in riding. I would also like to be able to comfortable take my wife on afternoon trips. I'm 5'9 165. My wife is 150.

If you say get a BMW thumper, which years are the best? I love the new headlight, but I think the 2011 will be very hard to find for 6500.

I have searched everywhere and haven't been able to find anyone comparing these two. I know many will say that's because one is a single and the other is a twin. Well, the BMW twins are way more money and not as fuel efficient. Anyway, let me know which you think would be best. Thank you.
GabeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I'm interested to hear the responses as well. I sold my bikes before a move and due to some medical issues...move is done and I think I'm past the worst of the medical stuff, so I'm looking to start riding again. These two are on my short list.

Not sure where you're at, but a local Honda dealer has a new '12 NC700X...in casual conversation the salesman (who is also the finance guy) very quickly assured me he could get to $6100, and left open the possibility for wiggle room.

On the BMW side, a different local dealer has a new '12 G650GS advertised for $7250, and I'm pretty sure there's wiggle room there too. So a new one might just be in your price range or just a little over.

In my research, the big thing with the BMW's seems to be the decompression lever. An engine number lower than 61712400 or a production date before mid-June 2012 will have the older design...that one can lead to hard starting, and a subsequent dead battery. Ask about TSB# 11 003 12 (015) from August of 2012. I've also found comments about weak batteries (easy fix), a few comments about corrosion in the fuse box (should be easy to keep clean), and warnings to not overfill the gas tank (leads to temporary hard starting and stalling). A guy I ran into at the BMW dealer had done some extensive long-distance riding on his G650GS. He echoed what I already mentioned, and also said that he thinks the switchgear is a little cheap, and he strongly encouraged a good test ride to make sure the bike has enough power.

But this is all just stuff I've learned on the internet and talking to people. No personal experience yet with either bike, other than research and sitting on them.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
GabeJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Soldierguy,
Thanks for the great info. Glad you've recovered enough to get on a bike again.d
GabeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
vguy
Rockhopper

Oddometer: 85
I too am leaning toward the NC700X (w/manual clutch) to do some "light" off-highway exploring (I'm fairly close to Death Valley and Jawbone). However, I know that as soon as I make the plunge, and do some mods, Honda will offer it with a 19-inch front, more travel and spoked wheels to go one-up on the Vstrom.

But then I look at these pics... http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/to...dventure-bike/

and... http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20658115
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
The two links you provide show what can be done to the Honda to make it an adventure bike.
I would guess that the money spent on it plus initial purchase could have gotten the owner a Tenere, or DL1000, or maybe even a GS800.
I'm sure the modified NC700X is nice but it's still an NC700X.

nbsdave screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 06:07 AM
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I have never seen a winch mounted to the back of a motorbike before? It is fun to see what people are able to come up with in terms of modifications. Very inventive. Yes, it is still not a XC or a S10 but may be better in some other ways. I have also seen some Honda Shadows heavily modified that a XC or S10 would have a hard time keeping up with On or Off road.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
The two links you provide show what can be done to the Honda to make it an adventure bike.
I would guess that the money spent on it plus initial purchase could have gotten the owner a Tenere, or DL1000, or maybe even a GS800.
I'm sure the modified NC700X is nice but it's still an NC700X.
Yeah, its center of gravity is way lower than a S10 or a DL1000, which like most bikes of that ilk are quite top heavy. See if you can test ride a NC700X. I think you'd be surprised how nimble it is.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeJ View Post
I'm thinking about a new bike, and I'm considering a used BMW thumper or the new Honda. I ride 60 miles a day on the freeway in one of the windiest places in the country. I'm 80 miles from city traffic and like to explore. There are lots of gravel roads and two track trails around my house I'd be interested in riding. I would also like to be able to comfortable take my wife on afternoon trips. I'm 5'9 165. My wife is 150.

If you say get a BMW thumper, which years are the best? I love the new headlight, but I think the 2011 will be very hard to find for 6500.

I have searched everywhere and haven't been able to find anyone comparing these two. I know many will say that's because one is a single and the other is a twin. Well, the BMW twins are way more money and not as fuel efficient. Anyway, let me know which you think would be best. Thank you.
Never rode a BMW thumper and only road the NC700x for about 20 pavement miles so FWIW:
The day I demoed the NC the wind was blowing 15-20mph with gusts in the high 20's. At one point I was running 70 mph with the wind hitting from the front/side quarter. One thing that really impressed me about the NC was how steady it felt in the quartering crosswind. Definitely felt more stable than my R100GS.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
NC700X will be just as capable outside the tarmac as a Bandit, or FZ-1. It's a streetbike. The F650GS is no real dirt bike, but still a lot better there. For tarmac use, the twin engine probably has the edge.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
vguy
Rockhopper

Oddometer: 85
Nc700x-plorer

This is kinda what I'm thinking of...

Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
NC700X will be just as capable outside the tarmac as a Bandit, or FZ-1. It's a streetbike. The F650GS is no real dirt bike, but still a lot better there. For tarmac use, the twin engine probably has the edge.

I think 2008-2011 650's are twin cylinder 798cc. F700 replaced the 650 in 2012.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vguy View Post

excellent art- really good work
now put the fuel cap out from under the seat, add a second front rotor and it's perfect
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
I think 2008-2011 650's are twin cylinder 798cc. F700 replaced the 650 in 2012.
The OP mentioned G650GS and "used BMW thumper", both of which refer to a 1-cylinder bike. I know later F650GSīs have an 800cc twin engine.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vguy View Post

Nice pic. Not very cheap mods there, though, Iīm not convinced itīs a budget bike at that point. Or that it handles very well off-road (could be possible, but itīs still started life as a streetbike, so this is unknown).
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
The OP mentioned G650GS and "used BMW thumper", both of which refer to a 1-cylinder bike. I know later F650GSīs have an 800cc twin engine.

missed that, oops