Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #91
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Not Gale Banks. He knows how to tune without smoke.

There is tire smoke, though.
Enough turbo to get air in there to burn all the fuel. You still couldn't pay me enough to run Banks crap.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #92
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
He must've lost a girl to a dude with a Cummins. Or the local asshats smoke him out when he's on his scoot.
Nope. But I did do a couple of failure analyses on some Cummins V-8 fire pump engines. One stuck the upper half of a piston in the bore, and the other had a piston pin push the retainer out and gouge the bore.

So many diesel pickups, so much idling noise. Clack. Clack clack clack. Clack clack clack clack clack. About as annoying as a straight piped Hardley. Where's my damn earplugs?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #93
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
What year? 7.3? Have anything done to them or all stock? Kinda thread jacking sorry
the old f350 is '91 the 250 is 2000 both manual the 350 stays about 5 under the speed limit when I drive because it just doesn't feel right up at a good speed.

I guess the auto-trans are supposed to be better then the manual but at these age trucks the manual was good for about 2-4mpg better.

the 250 was to replace a VW waterboxer and we could hardly believe how much our fuel costs dropped.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #94
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
the old f350 is '91 the 250 is 2000 both manual the 350 stays about 5 under the speed limit when I drive because it just doesn't feel right up at a good speed.

I guess the auto-trans are supposed to be better then the manual but at these age trucks the manual was good for about 2-4mpg better.

the 250 was to replace a VW waterboxer and we could hardly believe how much our fuel costs dropped.
My 96 was geared to tow at 55mph. Any faster than 62-65mph and the fuel started getting SUCKED down the engine.

It evidently would do 80mph, but that was the ex- with the lead foot driving it.

I could get low 20s on road trips if I kept it to the speeds above. 14-17mpg around town driving like a gramma. 10-14mpg towing depending on whether I was going into or with the prevailing winds

M
M
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #95
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My 96 was geared to tow at 55mph. Any faster than 62-65mph and the fuel started getting SUCKED down the engine.

It evidently would do 80mph, but that was the ex- with the lead foot driving it.

I could get low 20s on road trips if I kept it to the speeds above. 14-17mpg around town driving like a gramma. 10-14mpg towing depending on whether I was going into or with the prevailing winds

M
M
+1 on the wind and towing.

edit I and wife are grandparents and drive like grandma. I have a CBR when I want to go fast and have cops chase me.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #96
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
+1 on the wind and towing.

edit I and wife are grandparents and drive like grandma. I have a CBR when I want to go fast and have cops chase me.
I *really* wanted to put 3.73s and a locker in the rear end, but never got a chance. Lost the truck in the 'divorce.'

M
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #97
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
Enough turbo to get air in there to burn all the fuel.
That's the way it's supposed to work.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #98
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
That's the way it's supposed to work.
but if you have that much turbo then you will always have lag for real life driving.

edit I am not the expert you are but that is what I have come to expect from driving things with enough turbo to do a full burn.

edit 2 that sounded snarky and I meant it in a good way as it seems from many of your posts that you know more about engines then I do.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #99
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
but if you have that much turbo then you will always have lag for real life driving.

edit I am not the expert you are but that is what I have come to expect from driving things with enough turbo to do a full burn.

edit 2 that sounded snarky and I meant it in a good way as it seems from many of your posts that you know more about engines then I do.
I don't necessarily have real world experience on everything I comment on but I read a lot of theory. The rest I learned on the Internet and the post on Adv. as fact.

I posted the dragster as an extreme example. The next version has a mechanical supercharger which reinforces your comment about throttle response. What's really impressive about Banks is his commitment to emissions legal performance.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #100
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
M
That's pretty much where I am on my mildly tuned 01 2WD Excursion. I have seen my mileage dip into the 9's but what can you expect towing a 10,000lb toy hauler at 80 mph (I did it once in northern Montana, but I don't think it's particularly safe). By mildly tuned I mean a +20 to 40 hp (I hate the big smoke), stock exhaust, stock air filter. I mostly use an edge tuner for transmission management...plus you can read the output of every sensor the engine has on it...EGT, Trans Temp, Boost, Coolant temp,etc.

I also have a switch to lock the torque converter to keep heat down. It also slightly increases efficiency.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #101
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,644
Ken, can I come visit and go fishing sometimes... we can talk about "diesels" all day long..
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #102
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
That's pretty much where I am on my mildly tuned 01 2WD Excursion. I have seen my mileage dip into the 9's but what can you expect towing a 10,000lb toy hauler at 80 mph (I did it once in northern Montana, but I don't think it's particularly safe). By mildly tuned I mean a +20 to 40 hp (I hate the big smoke), stock exhaust, stock air filter. I mostly use an edge tuner for transmission management...plus you can read the output of every sensor the engine has on it...EGT, Trans Temp, Boost, Coolant temp,etc.

I also have a switch to lock the torque converter to keep heat down. It also slightly increases efficiency.
I was waiting to pay off the truck to get a 'tune.' I was lookin for an economy tune like the +20hp +40tq that was being done for my truck. I lost the truck in the 'divorce' and right before I gave it back to her after moving out, the trans went phlooey. Lemme tell ya! Its a Looonnnngggg drive from Denver to Cheyenne at 45mph!

You want it? YOU get to fix it.

M
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #103
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
s OTE=Benesesso;21313153]Rudolph tried to run his engine on powdered coal. When that didn't work, his assistants begged him to try it with oil. At first, they used an electric motor to spin the thing. They recorded the amps the motor drew, then saw a decrease as they fed the oil in.

Note the engine wasn't able to actually run itself yet--that came later. Eventually a big diesel made about the same HP as a "modern" (I use the term loosely) Hardley. Years later, realizing what a horrible POS he had unleashed on the world, he did the honorable thing and stepped off a boat--at night in the middle of the English Channel. They found his body two weeks later.

So, enjoy your loud noisemaker as it belches all that black smoke, which it will as soon as you figure out how to make the fuel pump deliver more fuel than the engine can burn well, in the desperate attempt to find a few more ponies. [/QUOTE]

My neighbor about 6 houses away has a 1990's 7.3 F350 that he starts and lets idle for about 30 minutes every morning, the clatter is terrible and it stinks up the area real bad. Then the moron drives off like he's driving a gas engine, pedal to the metal revving it's guts out. Hopefully one of these days that POS will blow up. Saw him at the gas station once and he was letting it idle while filling up.

TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #104
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Here's the back. I don't have any of the interior but I'll get some pics next week.

Go all the way, Ken.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #105
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Go all the way, Ken.

The last boat my dad had had two series 60 MTU's if you need diesel power.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: