Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
kayaker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
That's my reworked BBR posted above. After more mods its right at 180 lbs wet but no gas. I have essentially the same suspension as the CRF150R and very close on the weight but its a bigger bike.

The XR200 motor is in a class of its own regarding small simple four strokes. Nothing else can match it when you look at the whole package. When bored and stroked it has gobs of mellow meaty torque that is so fun to ride with a wide ratio six speed. A CRF230 engine is a modernized version but 12 lbs heavier with E-start. I built up a frankenstein motor with XR200 six speed kickstart bottom end married to a CRF230 crank and top end. This is not a bolt together project but can be done. I still need to build a crank trigger ignition before I try it out.

The closest thing going is a CRF150R but its not adult sized, and it has peaky power and short engine life compared to an XR. If you could enlarge one and lace up bigger wheels it most likely would weigh more than mine. The race tuned engine and close ratio gearbox wouldn't make a very good dual sport either.

Honda could easily build an insane playbike or small dual sport just by mixing up parts they already have.
kayaker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,628
If you want something with a bigger frame and adult capable suspension, you could always start off with something like a CR250 or a CRF450 chassis. My son and I are both 6'-6'1", so a larger frame was much more comfortable. This is our street legal what we call a CRF200R.....CRF450 chassis with an XR200 motor.

The harder you ride it the better that suspension works. GPS top end was at 72mph, but you could still plonk around at walking pace with no problem. Weight at around 225, full of fuel.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #18
tdvt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker43 View Post
That's my reworked BBR posted above. After more mods its right at 180 lbs wet but no gas. I have essentially the same suspension as the CRF150R and very close on the weight but its a bigger bike.

The XR200 motor is in a class of its own regarding small simple four strokes. Nothing else can match it when you look at the whole package. When bored and stroked it has gobs of mellow meaty torque that is so fun to ride with a wide ratio six speed. A CRF230 engine is a modernized version but 12 lbs heavier with E-start. I built up a frankenstein motor with XR200 six speed kickstart bottom end married to a CRF230 crank and top end. This is not a bolt together project but can be done. I still need to build a crank trigger ignition before I try it out.

The closest thing going is a CRF150R but its not adult sized, and it has peaky power and short engine life compared to an XR. If you could enlarge one and lace up bigger wheels it most likely would weigh more than mine. The race tuned engine and close ratio gearbox wouldn't make a very good dual sport either.

Honda could easily build an insane playbike or small dual sport just by mixing up parts they already have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
If you want something with a bigger frame and adult capable suspension, you could always start off with something like a CR250 or a CRF450 chassis. My son and I are both 6'-6'1", so a larger frame was much more comfortable. This is our street legal what we call a CRF200R.....CRF450 chassis with an XR200 motor.

The harder you ride it the better that suspension works. GPS top end was at 72mph, but you could still plonk around at walking pace with no problem. Weight at around 225, full of fuel.
Love both your bikes. I saw your CRF-based bike in another thread.

From my limited research, it sounds like the XR motor is the way to go. I was wondering what year engines you both used as I did find info about a less-desirable version, made for few years in the mid-90's?

I am not quite 6' but would prefer a more full-sized frame. If I start with a frame from a bike less than 300cc's then I avoid the whole title thing here in VT when registering it.

225lbs sounds pretty good to me!
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,628
Keep an eye out for a CR250 then. Basically the same frame as the early CRF450's. I don't recall the exact year of our motor, but it is an early '80s. Plenty of room for that XR motor in them.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Dryslick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Both the 150 and 450 conversions are nice. I started an xr200/rm125 project last year, but haven't gotten to spend much time on it in the last 6 months. This thread has got me wanting to get back after it.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
tdvt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
So, still thinking about this project & I have a line on an '83 XR200, but looking at available performance part it seems '86-on is the division. I DID find limited info on the 84'-85' twin carb versions which are not well-liked.

Any thoughts about the '83?
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Here's something I started building a while ago and have been too distracted with other projects to finish. CRF450R chassis with an XR250 engine. Had previously put together a few big-wheel CR80/85's with pumped-up XR100 engines. Super fun little trailbikes. Almost exactly the same size as a mountain bike and 150-160lbs. If you want to build a hybrid that CR80/85 chassis is a great way to go. Takes quite a bit more work to stuff a CRF150F, XR200, CRF230 engine in there, but think that would be the hot ticket. Dave Miller at DMC sells custom-built conversion frames and if I remember right, they cost right around $2000. Have one that we haven't built-up yet, and bought another un-built kit at the same time (which he normally doesn't sell). Don't think I'll get around to building another one any time soon, so if you want to build your own, can hook you up with all the parts (laser-cut & formed brackets, billet aluminum carb adapter, etc.) you'd need to do it right. $500?

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
sonic reducer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker43 View Post

The XR200 motor is in a class of its own regarding small simple four strokes. Nothing else can match it when you look at the whole package.
Can you elaborate on that, especially in comparison to say the xt225? Xr250r? Klr250?
Also for the sake of this thread can anyone with the knowledge share the weights, dimensions, and power potential of the engines that could be useful in a build like this?

Considering the cost of something like a blown up yz125, this type of project is very intriguing.
Which late 90s early 2000s 125 chassis would be the pick of the litter for a project like this? I'd favor a steel frame for ease of chassis mods.

sonic reducer screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 06:24 PM
sonic reducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
Can you elaborate on that, especially in comparison to say the xt225? Xr250r? Klr250?
Also for the sake of this thread can anyone with the knowledge share the weights, dimensions, and power potential of the engines that could be useful in a build like this?

Considering the cost of something like a blown up yz125, this type of project is very intriguing.
Which late 90s early 2000s 125 chassis would be the pick of the litter for a project like this? I'd favor a steel frame for ease of chassis mods.
I am interested in this too.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #25
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
I used a '99 YZ125 chassis, which was the last generation of the steel frame for the ease of modifying. If you have an Aluminum welder the point is moot, but I don't. I really like how it turned out, I think it handles well. The MX suspension desperately needed revalving for trail work though. I'd expect any MX bike would.

Something to note is the shape of the engine cradle. On the yz frame it curves back more on the 125 frame than the 250. Looking at the picture of CharlieT's bike makes me think that you might want that space when using an xr200 motor. His bike shows nearly no curve back at the bottom of the cradle and the motor is using that space.

The other issue is the headroom for the motor. 4t motors are generally taller than 2t motors and the center spine of the steel frame may cause problems. In my case I was staying 2t and the motor fit but I had to fabricate a goofy wrench to get the spark plug out without pulling the motor.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,620
I have to recommend the XT225 motor. I have put over 30,000 hard miles on one, and nothing has ever broken. Simple, air cooled, 2 valves, kickstarter option, and you can replace the cam chain without tearing the motor down. I've adjusted the valves twice in those 30,000 miles, and they were just a hair off. it's not an MX bike, but it has enough power that I have ridden it hundreds of miles on the freeway. And it still even has the original clutch. I have never seen a small displacement air cooled motor hold up this well before.

In AZ, you can plate any production 4 stroke with a VIN, by only adding a few things. No instruments or turn signals required. But a custom frame would mean registering it as custom built, and that is a real hassle.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #27
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I have a striped out TTR250... Simple & bullet proof..

TTR250 with a WR250F Rekluse EXP clutch & EBC heavy duty springs...

Has a GYTR tail pipe with a 125mm shorter header pipe...

Next mod is a set of 05 YZF250 USD forks...

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 02:35 AM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
Have you found out what an XT motor weighs?
FWIW an XT225 motor weighs 75 lbs. 4 oz., all up, wet, less exhaust. And that's for an early one with both kick and electric starters. Later E-start-only XT and TTR versions have an increased number of things like plastic drivetrain gears and stuff and will be a few pounds lighter. Not sure how that compares with the Honda motors, but take it from there.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 11:26 AM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Is it possible to modify a trials bike to suit your needs for a light trail blazer?
Do they have the engine and gearbox specs for such a job?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
shirk
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
FWIW an XT225 motor weighs 75 lbs. 4 oz., all up, wet, less exhaust. And that's for an early one with both kick and electric starters. Later E-start-only XT and TTR versions have an increased number of things like plastic drivetrain gears and stuff and will be a few pounds lighter. Not sure how that compares with the Honda motors, but take it from there.
XR200R engine is 58 lbs.

http://www.lite-bikes.com/
shirk is offline   Reply With Quote