Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #8536
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Chain tension: One way to check tension is to stand to the right side of the bike, face the seat, place full weight of body on seat by leaning chest/gut on seat, so as to compress shock the most you can (grab the swing arm on left side of bike as you are putting body weight on seat and pull downwards to compress shock more) and check chain tension....it should have just a bit of slack.

That's my method for the pro-link as well as RFS smaller bore KTMs.

That as well as the method outlined in manual...

You will likely hear chain-slap when operating bike if tension is too loose.
Not sure about the bikes you mention, but on the 690, you just put it on the side stand and measure the tension. Basically you want it to almost, but not quite, be able to touch the swingarm.

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #8537
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Not sure about the bikes you mention, but on the 690, you just put it on the side stand and measure the tension. Basically you want it to almost, but not quite, be able to touch the swingarm.

Yeah, we are all experts here.

Lotsa ways to manage your chain

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #8538
HAFFMT
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFFMT View Post
Checked kill switch. Battery terminal connections checked. Have tried changing gears and then back to neutral, clutch pulled in. Unfortunately no change.

Will have to check side stand switch. I do have the side stand removal switch, maybe I'll finally get around to installing it.
Starting issue ended up being a bad battery.

Bike would start once if I fully charged the original battery, but if I shut the bike off and then immediately tired to restart, it was a no go.
HAFFMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #8539
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
Dumb things we do.

Keep in mind I am learning as I go here and am fairly new at bike maintenance.

I guess I wasn't reading the manual carefully enough and managed to incorrectly adjust the chain tension (don't ask... way too tight... I am an engineer who reads plans and dimensions all day and still managed to read the diagram wrong). Promptly went out for about 200 miles of riding over the next couple of days. Some dirt, some road.

Anyway, I just have this feeling that I didn't adjust the chain correctly, and of course do some reading online, re-read the manual and sure enough, I have the chain way too tight. I also read about the catastrophic potential of riding with a tight chain. So now I am a little worried.

I don't think I damaged anything, the transmission still is working fine, no leaks from countershaft seal (at least from what I can tell), sprockets and chain look no worse for the wear, no play in wheel bearings, so I think I am OK.

I have re-adjusted the chain using the method in the manual (push the chain up towards swing-arm from a point 30mm back from the chain slider with 5mm clearance to the swing arm itself). Now I am second guessing myself that it is too loose. My last bike was a Honda 450X a few years back and I recall the chain being tighter than this.

Do KTM chains operate a little looser than other bikes? What is everyone's thoughts on possible damage done to the bike due to my nice tight chain run, that just hasn't appeared yet?
Usually when you adjust the chain to tight it stretches the chain un evenly . I would jack the rear wheel up . Rotate the wheel & check the chain tension in several different locations . If it goes from loose to tight , loose to tight . You have damaged your chain . If not , don`t worry about the rest .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #8540
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Usually when you adjust the chain to tight it stretches the chain un evenly . I would jack the rear wheel up . Rotate the wheel & check the chain tension in several different locations . If it goes from loose to tight , loose to tight . You have damaged your chain . If not , don`t worry about the rest .
chain too tight = faster chain wear, faster sprocket wear, danger of damaging CS seal or countershaft.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #8541
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Agree, I wouldn't worry about counter shaft anything...if it's not leaking no need to fix it. Just adjust chain properly and keep riding.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #8542
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
2 inch bar rise on 2013

Know it's been done on the 12's, but has anyone done it on a 13 yet?

I was looking at it today, and the clutch line looked dicey for distance.

Thanks
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #8543
Xico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Stalling Issues on 2011 690 Enduro R

I'm having some problems with stalling with my bike.
Until now, I've checked
- All the fuel system from the pump to the injector
- Tried with another voltage regulator

But the problem continues.

Now I've conected the Tune ECU to see any problems.

Are these Throttle settings ok? I think I read somewhere of values of 0,5 or 0,7V... If they are not ok, how can I adjust them?
Xico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #8544
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 297
Do you have the stepper motor plug disconected and butterfly closed or are those the reading with it connected.
When unpluged and the butterfly fully closed with finger it should read per the shop manual 0.50V to 0.54V for the top value and 0.70V to 0.74V for the bottom value. The 0.5V value is adjusted on the right hand TPS and the 0.7V value is adjusted on the left hand TPS. The two TPS's are related so adjusting one can affect the value of the other.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #8545
Xico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Biped!

The values on my TuneECU are with everything connected. Only with the computer connected.

The values you wrote are also for the 2011 models?
Xico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #8546
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 297
The values are from '08 to '11, I believe '12 and on may be different. Make sure you read the shop manual before adjusting as you can bugger things up if done wrong.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #8547
jetcity
jetcity

Oddometer: 10
2008 KTM 690E - complete shutdown

previouisly posted elsewhere... looking for enlightenment.

Accelerating through a left turn in town, bike completely shuts down.... no power at all.; did not accidentally hit kill switch; battery wiring did not look disconnected. would not respond at all to turning of the key
I waited for about 10 minutes --> fired up with a "FI - bat" error (I believe it said) with tachometer showing redline and clock reset. Made it home (1/2 mile) and parked it.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the input.
jetcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #8548
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xico View Post
Thanks Biped!

The values on my TuneECU are with everything connected. Only with the computer connected.

The values you wrote are also for the 2011 models?
2011 values are different to other years. I don't have them available, but will try find them.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #8549
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcity View Post
previouisly posted elsewhere... looking for enlightenment.

Accelerating through a left turn in town, bike completely shuts down.... no power at all.; did not accidentally hit kill switch; battery wiring did not look disconnected. would not respond at all to turning of the key
I waited for about 10 minutes --> fired up with a "FI - bat" error (I believe it said) with tachometer showing redline and clock reset. Made it home (1/2 mile) and parked it.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the input.
Sounds like a bad earth. Have you checked the earth on the right hand (in)side of the frame just forward of the battery? Unfasten it, clean it up and retighten then go for another ride. Actually disconnect the wires going to the battery, clean up all the connections and refit. I would get some ACF50 and paint the stuff on as many connections around the bike as you can find. Chances are if one connection is feeling a bit old, the rest are too?
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #8550
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Sounds like a bad earth. Have you checked the earth on the right hand (in)side of the frame just forward of the battery? Unfasten it, clean it up and retighten then go for another ride. Actually disconnect the wires going to the battery, clean up all the connections and refit. I would get some ACF50 and paint the stuff on as many connections around the bike as you can find. Chances are if one connection is feeling a bit old, the rest are too?

All earth points on the 690 have under coat on them there is about 6 earth points simply disconnect sand off under coat and reinstall earth ,