Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #106
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,203
You crash a couple of those a year and GA will look inexpensive again.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #107
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
You crash a couple of those a year and GA will look inexpensive again.
I saw that one go into the trees at I18 several years ago. Jet never developed enough power to get out of ground effect.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #108
Flys-a-lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'm a corporate guy flying a Hawker...

When I'm not on my TW200
Flys-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #109
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Soloed 1967, aviation provided an income for thirty years starting in 1981, twenty five years with the same corporate department of a Fortune 500 company. North, Central, and South America, Europe for the last eighteen years in Falcon 20, 50, 900's. Saw incredible sights and met wonderful people but I do not miss it as an occupation.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #110
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Soloed 1967, aviation provided an income for thirty years starting in 1981, twenty five years with the same corporate department of a Fortune 500 company. North, Central, and South America, Europe for the last eighteen years in Falcon 20, 50, 900's. Saw incredible sights and met wonderful people but I do not miss it as an occupation.
Curious!!! Was Jim Miller your check pilot in the Falcons?

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #111
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Beemer Bob, pm sent

Rutabaga screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 04:05 AM Reason: Forgot to address it to Beemer Bob
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #112
johnnyvol
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Got my ASEL, but not my MC endorsement.

Wait..., what forum is this?
johnnyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #113
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I finally booked in to start learning how to fly. Problem is, I am scared of flying. I have done larger jet aircraft for business, but cant do small aircraft. Next Wednesday, I start my training for my pilots licence. I am currently shitting my pants. I will overcome this totally irrational fear of aircraft, trust me!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #114
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Did my solo on 16th birthday in 1988 in my uncle's ratty old C150. IR in 1990. Multi in 1995. 2100 hours of recreational flying, mostly in my Cessna 337 and wife's Mooney 201.

Last year, I got my helicopter license and sold off all our fixed wing goodies to buy a Hughes 500 and put a pad behind the house. Just waiting for it to get out of the paint shop and have new seat rails installed. Now it's a whole new world!

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #115
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Did my solo on 16th birthday in 1988 in my uncle's ratty old C150. IR in 1990. Multi in 1995. 2100 hours of recreational flying, mostly in my Cessna 337 and wife's Mooney 201.

Last year, I got my helicopter license and sold off all our fixed wing goodies to buy a Hughes 500 and put a pad behind the house. Just waiting for it to get out of the paint shop and have new seat rails installed. Now it's a whole new world!
I am a late starter at 36.

I never intend on buying a plane, but its interesting looking around. You can buy a 1970's model Cessna 172 for AUD40000 which seems pretty cheap to me for a plane? Old but are they good? I know nothing about aircraft BTW. Am I setting a dangerous precedent for myself?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #116
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
As to whether they are good planes, it all depends on the maintenance history and competence of the mechanics. My 337 was a 1976 model and is just as solid/airworthy today as the day it rolled out of the factory. My father-in-law has a 1964 C172 that I wouldn't hesitate to fly across the country tomorrow.

Regarding owning -vs- renting, it just depends on how much you want to spend. For most recreational pilots, it usually makes more sense to join a club and just rent the plane you want to fly that day. Maintenance and insurance will make that "cheap" Cessna look pretty expensive when you look at the cost per flight hour.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #117
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
As to whether they are good planes, it all depends on the maintenance history and competence of the mechanics. My 337 was a 1976 model and is just as solid/airworthy today as the day it rolled out of the factory. My father-in-law has a 1964 C172 that I wouldn't hesitate to fly across the country tomorrow.

Regarding owning -vs- renting, it just depends on how much you want to spend. For most recreational pilots, it usually makes more sense to join a club and just rent the plane you want to fly that day. Maintenance and insurance will make that "cheap" Cessna look pretty expensive when you look at the cost per flight hour.
Figured that would be the case. I will do this trial flight first, I will either never fly a small aircraft again or I will be hooked. Betch it will be the latter!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #118
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,036
Talked to a few ex pilots - most cannot afford it anymore - with avgas pushing $6/gallon, plus insurance, etc.

Here you can buy a good used airplane CHEAP, keeping it in the air? Shucks even 8 gallons an hour is $50 an hour fuel cost, plus maintainence reserves, etc.

I'm sorry to see light aviation as it is today. The truely dedicated remain flying but the compromises don't suit me.

Today you go to our local field, there are no aircraft tied outside in the G/A area, the big iron FBO is full of G5's and their ilk - corporate jets being ridden by our corporate masters. Wish I could talk the DEA into stationing a drug sniffing dog to check each of those planes on landing - we could make a bunch of money seizing those jets from the corporations - think of it as a tax...

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #119
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
I sold my plane in 2002....a VERY nice Cherokee 140....always owned by a person, never a trainer or rental.

At that time my insurance was going crazy after 911, and an oil pump AD had come out that was going to require a tear down every X number of hours.

I do miss my plane, and miss flying, but that is in the past. With some of the meds I am on I can't fly anyway.....Just one more of the things I can't do anymore.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #120
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
IMO flying a GA plane just isn't fun for very long. Sure, learning and the first dozen flights are fun but after that it gets routine and boring. If you've got a purpose in mind like flying to remote airstips in Idaho for fly fishing then a GA plane is useful. Otherwise it's nearly always better to travel by car or commercial aircraft.

I fly a PPC because it's cheap, safe, and much more fun than GA. No pilots license required.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: