Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #346
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
I have a Gamo Hunter...
What's a fair price if I were to sell it?
See my post above, mine is a whisper at 1200fps, online prices about $220, a bit more at Cabellas. I paid $100. That was the guys asking price, it seemed fair to me.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #347
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,319
Having a local scout/church gathering this weekend- shooting some trap in a local guy's field-

Some are a bit gunshy with big noisy shotguns, so my son and I built this for air rifle plinking

We cut a 24" length of 1/4 inch steel into lengths, ground the edges/drilled some holes, sprayed some colors, some small braided wire, etc....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #348
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Having a local scout/church gathering this weekend- shooting some trap in a local guy's field-

Some are a bit gunshy with big noisy shotguns, so my son and I built this for air rifle plinking

We cut a 24" length of 1/4 inch steel into lengths, ground the edges/drilled some holes, sprayed some colors, some small braided wire, etc....
nice job on those reactive targets ... airguns for your kids ... teaches love for shooting with much less danger.

much safer than giving a kid size .22 rimfire rifle to a child. can't help but think the five year old in the news shooting his 2 yr old sister could have been avoided by giving that boy an air rifle instead of a firearm. NO five year old understands true danger of a firearm.

growing up we shot each other with a Benjamin pump up .177 air rifle loaded with a bb size seed. we were stupid and certainly knew better. dug out a few hits on my legs... at least we shot low at each other with limited pumps. with 10+ pumps, that Benjamin .177 air rifle would shoot through a metal trash can.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #349
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
nice job on those reactive targets ... airguns for your kids ... teaches love for shooting with much less danger.

much safer than giving a kid size .22 rimfire rifle to a child. can't help but think the five year old in the news shooting his 2 yr old sister could have been avoided by giving that boy an air rifle instead of a firearm. NO five year old understands true danger of a firearm.

growing up we shot each other with a Benjamin pump up .177 air rifle loaded with a bb size seed. we were stupid and certainly knew better. dug out a few hits on my legs... at least we shot low at each other with limited pumps. with 10+ pumps, that Benjamin .177 air rifle would shoot through a metal trash can.
That is a stupid mom or dad. Started mine at a very young age...at 16 he can now keep the rifle in his room.....I still have all the ammo.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #350
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:

Agreed, but truth be told, it was many adults that wanted something "quieter"
Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #351
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
I've got a crosman/benjamin Viper nitro piston coming in the mail. My first 'real' air gun. I'm curious about break in. I've seen some debate as to whether or not to clean the barrel as a first step, or to simply run 100 rounds through without doing anything. Any thoughts? is this like synth vs dino?
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #352
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
I've got a crosman/benjamin Viper nitro piston coming in the mail. My first 'real' air gun. I'm curious about break in. I've seen some debate as to whether or not to clean the barrel as a first step, or to simply run 100 rounds through without doing anything. Any thoughts? is this like synth vs dino?

I never heard there was a controversy or debate about cleaning new airguns. I've always heard the guns come from the factory with some preservative that coats the bore and should be cleaned out.

If you're concerned about long range accuracy, you may want to clean the bore every couple thousand shots. This is debatable, though. One airgunsmith told me there's no reason to get all obsessive about cleaning airgun bores because they don't suffer the corrosive effects of firearm shooting.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #353
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I never heard there was a controversy or debate about cleaning new airguns. I've always heard the guns come from the factory with some preservative that coats the bore and should be cleaned out.

If you're concerned about long range accuracy, you may want to clean the bore every couple thousand shots. This is debatable, though. One airgunsmith told me there's no reason to get all obsessive about cleaning airgun bores because they don't suffer the corrosive effects of firearm shooting.
That seemed like the reasonable approach to me too, but maybe the "don't worry about cleaning" crowd has extended their philosophy to break-in as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #354
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Give us a reveiw when you get it.
I was looking at crosman aswell.
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #355
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Give us a reveiw when you get it.
I was looking at crosman aswell.
I will definitely do so, but keep in mind, most of you have way more experience with all sorts of shooting than I do. But hey, I can at least post pictures :)
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #356
Signal
Cynical Idealist

I cleaned mine (gammo hornet, new)- the barrel was dirty

I treated it like a new rifle, cleaned it after a few rounds, then after a few more, etc....

I was surprised at the dirt/lead fragments even after a few rounds through the first hundred or so ...

It did seem to "break in", the tube stays much cleaner now after a few rounds than at the onset. It was accurate out of the box, but also has improved slightly
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #357
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
That is a stupid mom or dad. Started mine at a very young age...at 16 he can now keep the rifle in his room.....I still have all the ammo.
nope stupid kids .. mom/dad didn't know we were shooting each other. ammo we used to shoot each other was hard round seeds picked off the ground. most of the time, hits just stung .. still something could have gone terribly wrong.

believe me .. we did way more stupid things .. it's a wonder the worst hurt was stitches resulting from broken mini-bike frame ... after flying over a bump at speed.

just goes to show you .. small kid's judgement are not to be trusted. allowing a small child to have access to their own firearm is just too dangerous.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #358
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
nope stupid kids .. mom/dad didn't know we were shooting each other. ammo we used to shoot each other was hard round seeds picked off the ground. most of the time, hits just stung .. still something could have gone terribly wrong.

believe me .. we did way more stupid things .. it's a wonder the worst hurt was stitches resulting from broken mini-bike frame ... after flying over a bump at speed.

just goes to show you .. small kid's judgement are not to be trusted. allowing a small child to have access to their own firearm is just too dangerous.
5yr olds are stupid.....that is why it is up to mom and dad to look after them....anyone that leaves a gun laying around with kids that young should have his ass removed.

On a positive note I think I found a surplus bolt gun that will not kill me....my Carcano. Ordered up 100 brass and some Sierra matchking bullets and we will see what we can do with this little thing.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #359
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Well this thread just cost me ~$300

Just ordered an RWS model 34 in .22 caliber and a coupe tins of RWS superdome pellets. Those prairie dogs are fucked.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #360
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Well this thread just cost me ~$300

Just ordered an RWS model 34 in .22 caliber and a coupe tins of RWS superdome pellets. Those prairie dogs are fucked.
Got the same gun, scope gave out this year. Only ran 1 1/2 can of ammo through it. Does a number on coons and squirrels

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650

rustynut2 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 01:38 PM
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: