Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Im 42 and love to hear the colected view of the guys who have ridden and matured for years and years. im still in the transition period of sccots and cycles
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
Im 42 and love to hear the colected view of the guys who have ridden and matured for years and years. im still in the transition period of sccots and cycles
You mean "old dudes"?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 50
Question

OK let the super noob throw his $0.02 into the ring. I'm still learning how to ride properly and everything else. I'm still new so I remember my reasoning and thinking about buying a bike.

When I decided to start riding I did what a lot of people do. I got my ugly butt a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter to commute on. Great little bike with good gas mileage and storage. Sadly my commute changed from 30 miles round trip on slow moving roads to 35 miles one way on two highways

I figured I would need something mid range (250 - 650 cc) to carry me safely to work and back. I started looking for bikes in that range that I could afford. Not a damn one could be found for 5K or so. Lots of older bikes with low miles (wonder why?) but nothing really "felt" right for me. I did fall in love with a Triumph Bonneville and was looking long and hard at a Honda Shadow V600.

What it came down for me was storage. I needed to carry my lunch, my laptop and a few other things back and forth. None of the those bikes had those...but I did discover the Burgman 650's. I ended up buying a 400AN. This was 3 years ago.

Two or three months ago I needed a new bike. Again I was looking at several bikes. Triumph still offered the classic Bonneville (and I will have one eventually). Again I gave a long and hard look at the Suzuki S40 models. However after talking to various people I ended up with a scooter. I just was not getting the good reviews from the various riders I know and respect concerning that model.

I ended up with a Kymco Xciting 500 which meets about 85% of my current needs. That being said I am also having more fun on this bike than I did on my Burgie. It was however what I could afford at the time.

Your ride has to fit your needs and your wants. You have to feel comfortable on it. I just think that most motorcycle manufacturer's forgot this. We are seeing a new influx of mid-range cycles that offer storage, good fuel economy and comfort.

It's a nice change from the large muscle bikes that seemed to dominate the market for a while.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post

OK let the super noob throw his $0.02 into the ring. I'm still learning how to ride properly and everything else. I'm still new so I remember my reasoning and thinking about buying a bike.

When I decided to start riding I did what a lot of people do. I got my ugly butt a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter to commute on. Great little bike with good gas mileage and storage. Sadly my commute changed from 30 miles round trip on slow moving roads to 35 miles one way on two highways

I figured I would need something mid range (250 - 650 cc) to carry me safely to work and back. I started looking for bikes in that range that I could afford. Not a damn one could be found for 5K or so. Lots of older bikes with low miles (wonder why?) but nothing really "felt" right for me. I did fall in love with a Triumph Bonneville and was looking long and hard at a Honda Shadow V600.

What it came down for me was storage. I needed to carry my lunch, my laptop and a few other things back and forth. None of the those bikes had those...but I did discover the Burgman 650's. I ended up buying a 400AN. This was 3 years ago.

Two or three months ago I needed a new bike. Again I was looking at several bikes. Triumph still offered the classic Bonneville (and I will have one eventually). Again I gave a long and hard look at the Suzuki S40 models. However after talking to various people I ended up with a scooter. I just was not getting the good reviews from the various riders I know and respect concerning that model.

I ended up with a Kymco Xciting 500 which meets about 85% of my current needs. That being said I am also having more fun on this bike than I did on my Burgie. It was however what I could afford at the time.

Your ride has to fit your needs and your wants. You have to feel comfortable on it. I just think that most motorcycle manufacturer's forgot this. We are seeing a new influx of mid-range cycles that offer storage, good fuel economy and comfort.

It's a nice change from the large muscle bikes that seemed to dominate the market for a while.
You dodged a bullet in not getting the S40.

The Savage, it used to be called. On paper; and sitting on the lot, it looks good. Nice naked cruiser; big thumper.

The thing has NO POWER! I swear to Gawd, the TU250, with about a third the displacement, is almost as powerful. I had, briefly, a used one; I couldn't coax it above 70!

Not only that...cold-starting was an exercise in patience. Figure a twenty minute warmup...before you can roll. If any bike cried out for FI, that is the one.

A shame, too. I was ready to like it; belt drive...big single...but it didn't do it. Why it's stayed in manufacture for 25-plus years is one of those eternal mysteries.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Great replies. I didn't mean it so much as what is better, just noting that big maxi scoots are reviewed as too heavy while a 500 pound motorcycle isn't. I am not in the market and I love my sportcity. If the time ever comes for something bigger I do like stepping through and auto and built in storage and footboards.
It's all relative. Compared to my Super 8, my Sport City feels pretty heavy.
Displacement is also something that everyone views differently. 650cc is big for a scooter but many motorcycle riders consider it small and only suitable for "beginner" bikes. There are some out there that won't consider anything under 1000cc.

My recommendation is to keep an open mind and if you get the chance to ride different scooters motorcycles or scooters, do it.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Actually, on this forum there a large number of riders who have owned both motorcycles as well as scooters. I currently own 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles. I don't really have a bias since I can see the advantages, and disadvantages of both. I guess that If I have a bias it's that I prefer small and light wieght over big and heavy. I have owned a few big bikes and while I enjoyed all of my bikes, I have come to prefer smaller and lighter. That applies to motorcycles as well as scooters.
This forum is a bit of a rarity in the two wheel world... and a big part of what I enjoy here. I have had my eyes opened recently, and agree that smaller just might be better - depending on the usage. I thought my V-Strom was "a little bike" until we bought these scooters.

Glory be - I have seen the light! (cue the music, get ready to pass the plate) You demon of heavy displacement be gone! Let the light of the lightweights shine in!! Can I get a witness?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 744
i like all two wheelers! i prefer a low weight and low center of gravity -- motards and big adventure bikes are too top heavy for my n00b skillz -- but i appreciate agility and general potential for misbehavin' '
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
The 250 is perfect for what I do. I never really intended to commute on it, I just wanted to experience "motorcycling". So, a 250 is a great size and I love it so much I commute 3-4 days per week. I also take it on weekend rides into the foothills and outlying communities around here and love that too. That was the plan when I got it. I just passed 2000 miles on the bike and got 79mpg on my last fill up.

Again, great discussion.

GH
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
There is a bias among those who've never "seen the light" (literally and figuratively). At 6'1", I look funny as hell when I'm riding my wife's little Schwinn 150 Graduate; probably a little funny on my Big Ruckus and still get a few disparaging looks from the "HD only" crowd when I'm on my Triumph.

DILLIGAF? No, because I'm having more fun!
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 50
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
i like all two wheelers! i prefer a low weight and low center of gravity -- motards and big adventure bikes are too top heavy for my n00b skillz -- but i appreciate agility and general potential for misbehavin' '
A friend of mine visited me a while ago. At that time I owned a 2007 Suzuki Burgman which he took for a little 75 mile ride. He came back all smiles amazed that a scooter could lean over as far as it did; or that it was that quick.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm 63 and pretty new to riding.. Only have about 11,000 miles so far... at 60, I bought myself an MP3 500.. I had no idea it was a "maxi scoot".. I just liked it and it wasfun to ride.. OK.. 6,000 miles and 18 months later.. I got an offer to trade it in on a 2012 Burgman 650, that I couldn't turn down.. so now 5,000 miles and a year later.. I'm on a Burgman.. loved them both.. The MP3 500 seemed a lot lighter, but a lot lesss stable at a high speed.. so I'm just loving the experience and don't care what anyone thinks...
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I've never considered it an "either / or" choice. I've had 31 bikes so far including 2 that are classified as scooters. I buy the bike that best fits my current need/want. My wife only lets me have 1 bike at a time so I have to sell the present one when I buy something else. Thankfully, I've convinced her that scooters don't count because they're just for saving gas going to work and back. My current scooter is a C650GT and it is more capable than many of the "real" motorcycles I've owned. So, the choice boils down to what fits your needs the best (and if it fills your wants, that's a bonus). My advice is to buy both and tell your wife how much you're saving on gas plus on insurance with the multi-bike discount.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #28
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I may have phrased my original post incorrectly. I wasn't trying to get into a what's better discussion, I just noted that when describing the big scooters, reviewers say they are too big and heavy. When describing motorcycles of the same weight, that is hardly the case.

Those of you with more experience than me, is there really a difference in perceived size between a 500 pound scooter and a 500 pound motorcycle?

Either way, it's always good to have some fat to chew.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
For me, comfort is everything anymore. But, I still need to be able to maneuver around parking lots, etc, and a Burgman 650 is simply to big and heavy for me to feel comfortable with in that type of situation. The Silverwing is much better, but still a bit unwieldy. A 250cc would be fine, but not really enough for long highway trips. The ideal situation would be a maxi for the highway (I still wouldn't get the Burgman) and something smaller for around town.

But, as to the original question, there are 2 major differences between scooters and motorcycles. You don't have to shift scooters, which can be great for someone with medical issues, and most are a step through design, which means you don't have to throw your leg over the seat, which is good for the same reasons. I have some issues doing both.

If you are able to get on a motorcycle ok, there is now a great choice between a maxi scooter or a mid sized motorcycle. The Honda CTX700. It has most of the benefits of a maxi scooter, including an available automatic transmission and a comfortable riding position (upright, feet forward, no leaning forward and putting most of your upper body weight on your arms and shoulders, and not having your legs all folded up underneath you) It should handle a lot better than a maxi scooter, and should be smaller and lighter. Maxi scooters seem to be too big and heavy for their displacement. The Burg 650 makes my Vulcan 750 look and feel like a toy.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 744
scooters have a MUCH lower center of gravity, and the weight is towards the ass. it's borderline impossible to drop even a heavy scoot on a harsh front brake grab, and it makes them a bit more maneuverable in slow speed situations.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote