Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1876
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacfar View Post
Did you talk more about this interview or am I missing something. I'd love to know what kind of questions he asked you. I know being as awkward of a small talker as I am that it would be pretty short interview

NH: So you road a Ducati across the country?

Me: Yep

NH: That's Cool

NH: Alright, see ya later

Me: Ok
:ROFL
Big gulps huh? Welp, see you later...

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #1877
GeorgiaBound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

I love the design, and the material is decent, but I don't think they'd stand up to enough abuse, so I'm going to source them from another vendor. But I have a stockpile now if anyone wants some!
PM sent my man keep up the great RR!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #1878
Tiger_DFT
West Aussie old fart

Oddometer: 32
This RR has helped me heaps!

AH, thanks.

I feel like I understand myself a little better due to a motorcycle RR....that hasn't happened before....in fact, I don't think I've ever read anything so well written and so in synch with my clumsy and at times disjointed wonderings.

I have really enjoyed all aspects of your writing and enjoyed most of the other inmates positive discussions.

We are lucky free thought is still available to all!

AH....if you ever come to Australia, you are most welcome at my place. Keep that in mind because I hope you will keep travelling AND writing!!

Be great to see you and let me show you some Aussie treasures.
Thanks once again....on so many levels

Use it...use them...the bikes you own!
Tiger_DFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #1879
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_DFT View Post
Be great to see you and let me show you some Aussie treasures.
The remarkable indigenous species known as the "sheila" comes to mind. (Sorry. For me, female + any variety of Aussie accent = *SWOON*)
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #1880
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
As for the Scythes in the background--I just hope the grim reaper doesn't have any issues with it or I'm in big trouble!
Looks great AH - I've always thought the lights on the Pani look a bit like a skull, so with the scythe IMO it all fits.

DD
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #1881
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Your KILLING me AH!!!!!!!!!

What happened tot he pictures!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #1882
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,302
Happened to pass by a Duc dealer last weekend and dropped in to check out the Panigale. My god what a bike... I'm too tall to sit on it with any comfort, but I've never seen so much emotion resting on two wheels in my life. My girlfriend was smitten.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #1883
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I've never seen so much emotion resting on two wheels in my life.
Yeah, this. It is singularly the most beautiful bike currently being manufactured. I don't think I'd ever buy a bike that breaks every speed limit in 1st gear, but it sure as hell is some serious eye candy.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #1884
Back in da saddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
[QUOTE=AntiHero;21328361]They fucking better be! I've sold quite a few bikes for them and helped Ducati accomplish from a branding/marketing/PR perspective what they couldn't have possibly done on their own. All at no cost, too.

So true DM! Anyone that understandings branding/marketing/PR your a true breath of fresh air for the industry.

I think you really made a personal connection through this RR which clearly shows passion–if someone can feel that you’re writing just for them, than they feel your interest in helping them. They will feel like they can trust you and they will feel comfortable coming to you for more information in the future.

Your journey is just beginning, thanks for taking us along the way.
Back in da saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1885
wantingaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
book question

Hey AH,

I was wondering if your book contains the posts related to the pictures you've posted here?
The posts and your insights into your life, the trip and philosophy make it that much more interesting a RR and I'm hoping the book contains those comments too.

jimi
wantingaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #1886
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Back from Death Valley. Restlessness averted (for a few days). Pics comin' up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacfar View Post
NH: So you road a Ducati across the country?

NH: That's Cool

NH: Alright, see ya later

Me: Ok
That's pretty much how it went. :) Ducati has the video, no idea when it'll be released (or how much of the conversation will make it).

Tiger_DFT: Encouragement greatly appreciated, as is the hospitality offer. After this weekend I keep thinking more and more about Australia and all it has to offer....

Moodfart/Trane Francks: Funny you say that. Ran out to grab a bite tonight on the Pani. Walking back to the parking lot I was just stunned at how gorgeous and sinister she is. Evil! Love it.

Back in da Saddle: Thank you. And I hope this is just the beginning....

wantingaduc: You can view the entire book on Blurb. It's 90% pictures and 10% quotes. Or more like 95/5. Novel will incorporate a lot of the ideas here (which is, needless to say, making writing it a challenge).
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #1887
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I've been sedentary since I returned to the Bay Area. Great things have happened (Austin, Pittsburgh, SF), but in my blood is still this restless agony that requires constant inattention. (I have to ignore it, but it's always there.)

My buddy Mike (who made his appearance in Chapter 1) finally said "fuck it" and inquired about Death Valley (for the 90th time). He and I are similar in a hell of a lot of ways, but whereas I cut the padlock to the parachute vault, pass out life preservers and then jump when I see smoke in the plane, he handcuffs himself to the flight controls and takes his chances with crash landings in order to save a plane that's not his (filled with people who, if they survive, will blame him for the whole incident). On the rare occasion he does try to bail his parachute either gets burned in the exhaust or sucked into into the engine (usually in the form of an ex-wife who is so discontent with receiving near-five-figure checks every month (and a six figure one here and there), she recently attempted to go after half his frequent flier miles (not kidding)). You can't make this shit up.

I wasn't letting him off the hook, though. Death Valley is perhaps the greatest escape from the civilized world I know of. Exactly what he (and I, to a lesser extent) needed.

Most think of the desert as just a boring expanse of nothingness filled with peril. That's true. But there can be so much more. Case in point: after leaving the Bay Area around 9pm and sleeping in Red Rock Canyon (2am), we woke up to this:

It's right out of Raising Arizona. And yes, there were two people sleeping in there. (We woke 'em up and they weren't pleased).
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #1888
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

We made it to where the real adventure was to begin. As a kid I read "Where the Sidewalk Ends." It made an impression. And in adulthood I find myself not-coincidentally drawn to roads like this:

Doing shit like this:

And this (throwing boulders off of cliffs. Take that Sisyphus!)

And drinking tequila. It was Cinco de Mayo after all.

Oh yeah, and most of the above happened after we had blown out a tire on a stiletto rock that had been strategically placed by the inimical hands of fate. We fucked around after plugging it with three patches, waiting for a compressor that was about 5hp short of having 5hp to fill the 265/70-17 Terra Grappler to 30psi.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 01:07 AM
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #1889
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

After the third failure of the tire (announced by yet another rotating "hiss, hiss, hiss" sound), we realized plugs were futile and searched for a level, safe place to change the tire. Instead, we ran into this:

Yep. A crime scene.

A crime scene that had been declared a crime scene just prior to us rolling on it. Marked on the window was 5/4, 11am. My Timex read 5/4, 1pm. Cell phone, cooler, cigar case were inside. It was dusty--perhaps the truck had been there a few days. Whoever had driven it there had driven a very long time on blown out right side tires. The damage that disintegrating radials caused is apparent in the rear bumper, the non-existent rear wheel trim and, of course, the rims themselves. We (and whoever the driver was) were 50+ miles from anything. I only hoped the driver was now 30 miles from anything, but accepted the possibility that they were still in the area. I scanned for a human predator and loaded the HK.

Only one problem: our rear tire was blown, too. We couldn't get far.

AntiHero screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 03:41 PM
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #1890
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Of course, out of all the times I took a real jack into nothingness I never needed it. And the one time without my hi/lo I did. Bottle jack it was....and it worked surprisingly well. Esp. with two of us. Spare tire had a nail in it, but we still had two cans of sealant, two plugs and a compressor that, though meek, was still more powerful than four lungs.

We didn't get attacked by sandpeople. Nor did the person/people associated with the demise of the Ford try and carjack us. The hardcore part of the journey was up next....but this lizard living in a cactus was a pretty good sign of what was in store.

Seriously, you can't make this shit up if you tried.

AntiHero screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 03:40 PM