Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,460
Sym for Sam...My 1st Scoot

It popped up on CL, and I nabbed it.

I really don't know crap about this Sym 200, i've got some learning to do. It's an '09 with 12000mi. It is pretty darn clean. For $1500, I figured what the hell...

samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
I'm betting that you are going to love it. Congratulations.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
It's a quality scooter. If it is already in good condition, maintain it and you will easily get more than your moneys worth out of it. Being at 12000 miles, I would check to see if it needs any major maintenance, such as a belt, rollers, brakes, clutch, etc. These things usually need to be replaced around that mileage.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,866
I had one for a while. Great scoots, you will love it!

Congrats!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I'm betting that you are going to love it. Congratulations.
...and Mrs Samthg too! ...and she does not ride, YET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It's a quality scooter. If it is already in good condition, maintain it and you will easily get more than your moneys worth out of it. Being at 12000 miles, I would check to see if it needs any major maintenance, such as a belt, rollers, brakes, clutch, etc. These things usually need to be replaced around that mileage.
Jerry, i've got no info on this thing. I'm gunna get the tupperware off this thing this week and start nosing around. I asked PO about the valves, he said they where recently checked with no issues. I've got to start googling and find some maintence info...any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I had one for a while. Great scoots, you will love it!

Congrats!
Thanks JB.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,410
try the SYM forum that s online. Google for the link.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
try the SYM forum that s online. Google for the link.
There ya go...I'll start there.

Thanks fms!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Hey, BTW, did you folks know that you may experience problems when you stand on the right side of your scooter AND rev it!

What a absolute dumb sheet I am. Got done washing it, and went to rev it up a bit, and it took off. It flew out of my hand, off the kickstand and down she went. FAAK

Only damage a bent front brake lever. Note to self, this is your first scooter, don't rev it.

I did my first ride on it this evening. A little 6 mile loop, it that was fun.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Took the HD in for service at near-by HB Scooters. I have been into HBS off & on for the past year looking at new scoots, but this one came up so I jumped on it. The p.o. provided me with a new belt and rollers, so I had HBS change out the parts and a fluid's change AND two new Pirelli tires. Nice folks at HBS and the bike is in great shape.

I managed to get in a quick little ride to try out my new parts this evening. The Long Beach Airport used to be some of my old hang out spots when I was training as a pilot, so off I went to snoop around.

C-17

This new business park sits where the assembly buildings of the DC-10's used to be...

Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
The oil needs to be done at 2000 miles. SYM's have a screen instead of a filter so it is a very quick job. The rear gear oil should be changed every second oil change. Unlike a motorcycle you don't need a special expensive bike oil to be compatible with the wet clutch. The SYM uses a dry clutch so any high quality auto oil the right viscosity will be great. SYM says 10-30; I use 5-40 synthetic, whatever Wal-Mart has on special.

With the CVT belt it is best to stick with OE, they are Japanese Mitsu and they last the longest. OE brake pads wear out very quickly and don't work very well. A good aftermarket brand like EBC will give much stronger braking and last longer as well.

The OE battery is a joke, very poor quality. If it hasn't been changed to something better, it will need to be.

Phipsd screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 10:22 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
Your "accident" should not have happened. There is supposed to be a switch on the sidestand that prevents the engine from running with it down. The engine should only run with it on the centerstand. There is no neutral, so anytime the engine is running and the rear wheel is on the ground, it may take off.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Your "accident" should not have happened. There is supposed to be a switch on the sidestand that prevents the engine from running with it down. The engine should only run with it on the centerstand. There is no neutral, so anytime the engine is running and the rear wheel is on the ground, it may take off.
Thanks Jerry, I'll be checking this out.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Congrats on your purchase. I've got a 2012 HD 200. Couldn't be happier. Great brakes, very smooth ride, lovely paint and top notch fit and finish. I am a fan of the 16" wheels which add stability at speed. looks like you got yourself a keeper.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I've got a 2012 HD 200. Couldn't be happier. Great brakes, very smooth ride, lovely paint and top notch fit and finish. I am a fan of the 16" wheels which add stability at speed. looks like you got yourself a keeper.
Thanks blugg1. I've been on bikes a long time, and this thing is bringing lots of smiles to me right now. I was gunna be purchasing a new RV200, when this one popped up on CL. I couldn't pass it up. It hasn't stopped me from looking at the new RV, it's only fired up my juices even more. A newly purchased Givi 26L trunk gets installed today.

Good luck on yours, hopefully we'll get to see some pics!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
JerryH

Yep, no shutoff when sidestand is down. Not sure if switch is disconnected or broke, it's something i'll eventually look into. I got lucky by avoiding any serious damage when it "took off" by me revving it. I still shake my head that I did that. I true rookie mistake by a new scoot owner, i'm sure glad it wasn't a new RV200 that I almost bought!