Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #2026
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ok, here's an updated version of mine... Lifted ~ 2" front and rear...

Longer damper rods from the roadster in the forks, along with Ricor Iniminators for more travel, more cornering clearance, and improved damping. Longer (13.25") shocks, also from a Roadster (Ebay, $41 shipped), with the shock caps removed and the springs powder coated black. Also added a newly black powder coated sidestand, also from a Roadster ($21 shipped from ebay). to adjust for the longer suspension.

HUGELY improved ride quality, as well as cornering ability! Took it down a local curvy road at a fairly spirited pace and never even drug the peg feelers! Actually handles pretty damn good too! And NO more spine jarring and kidney pounding shocks over even fairly significant surface irregularities, unlike the stock suspension on these factory lowered models like the 48 have over every small pebble in the road. Pretty damn happy with it now, although I do plan to upgrade the cheapo shocks to Ohlins once funds allow. These seem to work fairly well with my little skinny ass for now though.

I was a little concerned about how the longer suspension might affect the "look" since it was designed to have that long and low look. But now that I've done it, I find that I actually prefer the way it looks now... Kinda "chunkier" and more muscular maybe, IDK, but I love it! And it's SO much more fun to ride now that it's almost unbelievable!

So, to date, I've done the above noted suspension mods, Cycle Shack slip-ons, Sick Saddles custom brown leather seat, and a 4 pot front caliper upgrade from an XR1200. Much better comfort. Much better handling. Much better braking. And, a much better sound from stock. And none of this has been hugely complicated or expensive. Just low budget mods that made a very favorable impact on my enjoyment of my ride.

Yeah, I like this look a lot better than stock too. I don't like my butt close to the ground, and I don't like parts dragging in turns. That looks like a fun bike!

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #2027
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Seriously, if Harley was to market this (don't know if they are that forward thinking?) would it sell? Base it on the 883, go a little more road orientated. Less extreme tyres, etc. Or, just the way it is. Problem is, once the 100 or so of us who think it's really cool, buy one, they could fold their tents and go home? H-D could market a whole new line of "Bush Pirate" clothing. Hey MOCO, there's some merit to the idea.
Lyle
I don't see Harley ever making anything remotely like this, but I personally find it very hard to believe no one is offering a kit to make this happen.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2028
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I don't see Harley ever making anything remotely like this, but I personally find it very hard to believe no one is offering a kit to make this happen.
Ummm...

Might want to check out Jimmythehog's site...HERE.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #2029
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
MUCH prefer this look, Randy. Looks much more potent, capable. IMHO, the stock looks just look like it's trying too hard.

Well, here's a more or less direct comparison. A little different angle and from different ranges, but cropped and resized to approximate dimensions...

Before:

And after:

Not only am I digging the ride, feel, and handling WAY more, the more I look at it the more I'm diggin' the looks now too.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #2030
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
I believe that is the first time I've seen someone raise a '48.

It doesn't look bad. I could see it with some knobby-ish fat tires and a vintage scrambler type rear fender. Throw on a set of Biltwell moto bars and it'd look the part.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #2031
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
I believe that is the first time I've seen someone raise a '48.
Yep! Seems most people want to take it even further to the opposite extreme. I wanted to make it a "real" motorcycle. One that was comfortable and fun to ride. I succeeded in doing what I set out to do, for me anyway.

It's all about making a bike what YOU want it to be of course. That's one of the things that I find that I'm enjoying about the Sportsters, actually. They're so adaptable to suit your own personal taste. I enjoy back road blasting and wanted a bike that was capable of some twisty road fun in between the "smell the roses" cruisin' part of the ride. I have bikes better suited for the twisties but I didn't like the limitations of the stock 48 and figured I could make it suit my personal riding needs better while staying within its design limitations as a cruiser. "Bar hoppin" just ain't my bag, and neither are bruised kidneys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
It doesn't look bad. I could see it with some knobby-ish fat tires and a vintage scrambler type rear fender. Throw on a set of Biltwell moto bars and it'd look the part.
Thanks, I like its new look. I was hoping for a better ride and more cornering clearance, and got both, but was a little surprised at the different way it "feels" now. Hard to describe, but from the saddle, it just feels "better" and more like a motorcycle to me.

As far as the scrambler part... Nah, I wanna stick with the look it has now and not venture too far from its beginning as a cruiser. BUT, I have strongly considered making my next project something like this:

Really dig that bike! If you like it you can check out the build thread HERE.

Randy screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 03:19 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #2032
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
I like that Burly bike as well. Seeing your's raised brought that one and Billdozer's EZXL (from chop cult) to mind. Pics of the EZXL have been posted in the Go sportster thread I believe.

Your bike has an interesting look being raised and sporting the fat tires. I like it.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #2033
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ummm...

Might want to check out Jimmythehog's site...HERE.
Niiiice! Not quite a kit, but close. Love to try one out to test center of gravity and vibes.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #2034
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Mine

'99 Sportster 883. Ran about 550 miles this weekend. A surprisingly capable road runner. Cruises 70+ all day quite easily with little vibration. Who says 883's aren't big enough?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #2035
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Six months 7k miles, Stage 1 Kit from Fuelmoto and the the bike is running strong. 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited.

Borrego Springs, CA
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #2036
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,371
Here is the Geezer-Rod in Daytona in March.

I got willy G to autograph the airbox! We've had a V-rod meet-n-greet in Daytona for the past 9 years, and I've only missed one. I believe Willy G only missed one as well.

I removed the tourpak to do some maintenance.Sucker weighs 40# empty. With the aux tank inside, and 3 gallons of fuel, It must weigh close to 80. No wonder it seems so heavy.

Daniii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #2037
Miltonkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
2010 hd flhtp

www.facebook.com/motorcyclingadventures
Miltonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2038
freud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Xl1200r 2008

Well, here's mine

the list of mods:

Hardig iM2370 cases mounted with easy brackets.
Fix Backrest and rack
Hella Micro DE auxiliary lights
Sport windshield
Biltwell chumps
Large inverted black tappered mirrors
Arlen Ness big sucker Air filter
D and D bobcat with carbon fiber sleeve
Ricor shocks IAS 13.5" rear shocks (had to loosen a bit the belt)
Ricor Intiminators up front
Works performance dual rate front springs
Super brace stabilizer
Sundowner seat
Engine guard
Precison machine grips.

on the whishlist:

Bashguard/skid plate
Dual sport tires (maybe new wheels)
Longer suspension
Beefed up frame for added cargo capacity.
Chain drive

freud screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 01:52 PM
freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #2039
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 130
nice roadster man
pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2040
freud
Adventurer