Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #151
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Engine noise wasn't anything unusual for a Duc so bonus there for the new engine design.
I have an air-cooled Monster 900 with stock exhaust and I thought the HyperStrada engine was very quiet mechanically but exhaust was loud .... both riding it (helmet of course, no earplugs) and curbside idle with helmet off.

Quote:
Best stock seat I have ever had. Point and shoot drivability. Seat height to foot peg ratio was good with a proper bent to my knee, not too little or too much.
Agreed - just right!

Quote:
Was in Touring mode and did not notice any twitchy throttle anywhere or in any mode even at slow speed. Acceleration was nice but not as strong as anticipated even in sport mode but you must remember this is a new not broken in motor so things will only get better and the grins will get bigger.
I thought throttle was twitchy and/or low-speed fueling was off, but the more I think about it the throttle (and clutch) was just very light, and I'm sure one could could get used to that easily and quickly.

Quote:
Cable activated clutch was not even noticeable the fact that it was a cable would surprise most with its smoothness.
Agreed - very nice clutch effort and feel! Getting back on my dry and hydraulic clutch Monster for the 75 mile ride home was painful.

Quote:
Found it to be very light and nimble as expected for handling it really feels like a big dirt bike which is exactly the intent! The turn signals have standard bulbs installed not LEDs which make them less expensive and easily upgradable if so desired. Mirrors could be a little bigger and wider but thats just compared to what I'm used to. All in all its a very favorable package and I eagerly await my Strada to arrive so we may begin our lives together!
Handling and big dirtbike feel worked for me, and agree that mirrors could have been bigger (width seemed OK, but would prefer a taller surface height ... but maybe I'm just used to round or square mirrors). My dealer only had a HyperStrada, no regular HM, and it was red. In the pictures I like the gray/black (Stealth?) a lot - enough that I'd consider getting the standard HM in that color and adding Strada accessories as needed. Does anyone know ... is that a matte color, and how do those finishes hold up to knee and tank bag abrasion?

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #152
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Ugly bastard! What ever happened to that gorgeous Italian styling of the past? That Panigali is beautiful, so there must be someone there with some sense of art? No?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #153
Cyclic Rival
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VH_vyvVgbE4

Not quite sure how to imbed.

Either way this is a video of the new SP. Decent amount of road and a bit of what looks like sand or dirt trail riding. It should be relatively comparable to the Hyperstrada.
Cyclic Rival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #154
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclic Rival View Post

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #155
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,889
That was fun!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"

jerdog53 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:28 AM
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #156
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,473
Ace vid. You guys with all that space to play in are very lucky..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #157
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,165
Just found this thread, I hardly ever go to "Road Warriors", but that is where I belong I reckon. LOL

350+ miles on my HyperStrada. Went for a lunch run 90 miles south today.

Lock & Dam #5 on Red River.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #158
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Thanks LLama!

Yup!

This started out in "Beasts" but then got moved over to "Road Warriors" I guess because no one can think outside the box.... more to follow

Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #159
DeedsyDragon OP
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Just found this thread, I hardly ever go to "Road Warriors", but that is where I belong I reckon. LOL

350+ miles on my HyperStrada. Went for a lunch run 90 miles south today.
So what are your impressions so far?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #160
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

I like it of course or I wouldn't have traded the STR on it. Can't wait to get out from under the break-in rpm limits, but, 5.5k rpm is 80mph. Course what gets you is just when it is starting to rip, you hit the 5.5k limit and have to shift (ok, I missed a couple and went to 6.5k). Redline is 10,500 rpm.

80 or 90 lbs lighter than the Multi12, engine sounds very similar when accelerating, suspension a bit stiff compared to the more plush Multi12. Brakes just getting broke in and are really good, rear brake has wooden feel.

Got 52 mpg on 180 mile lunch run, that is pretty cool, course the wife gets nearly 60 mpg on the 696.

I'm 5' 11" and 185 lb with 32" IS, seat height is same as the Multi12 but easier to touch down, not much room to scoot back, but you can sit on the pillion seat to stretch you legs.

Didn't like "urban mode", run "touring mode" mostly, but "sport mode" is really crisp and feels great, will wait till it get 1200 miles (break-in).

Lean to the mirror and it is turning, so better be at the turn-in, very fun bike.

P.S. You can program the ABS and DTC in each mode, I am staying with defaults. You can light up the DTC in 1st gear on brisk takeoffs. Default in Touring mode is DTC=4 ABS=2.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #161
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

So has your wife been on the back yet?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #162
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,543
I sat a Hyperstrada yesterday and I found the ergonomics very good for my 6'0", 2xx lb, old fart body. I'm test riding their demo on Thursday. New bike shopping is fun.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #163
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
So has your wife been on the back yet?
Not yet, I will wait till motor is broken in.

I agree on the new bike shopping is fun, but expensive!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #164
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I'm curious as to whether the suspension is top notch or will it be similar to the multi 620 which was a great bike but came with a pretty poor setup (but fixable). 110 hp, which is more than the 1100 multi, seems like plenty of power. I like the idea of the dirt bike feel and lighter weight compared to the multi 1200, but would like to hear some feedback on the suspension. And if that video of the sp is any indication the hyper should be fairly capable of anything any of the big advers are capable of with proper shoes. Also, does anyone know if this engine is similar to the 1200 in that maintaning it yourself is pretty much not an option?
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #165
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
I'm curious as to whether the suspension is top notch
It's not. Or it's my perception. Or it's just uncomfortable for my weight. I rode one yesterday and it is a super fun bike, but absolutely not my cup of tea. The seating position isn't totally extreme, but still pretty far forward, no tank in front of you, too small instruments super close, completely useless mirrors.

I felt like sitting on the front tire, but otherwise it was quite comfortable. Highway at above 60 to 65 was miserable, not only wind, but the super quick handling and steering makes it quite a bit twitchy.

The brakes are excellent, as is the engine. You can lug it down, it will pull without complaint from 2k if you're careful with the throttle and is super smooth from 3k on. Still needs way more shifting than my Tiger 800.

It's a very small bike. Short wheelbase, short body styling. It's a little bit like riding on a dirt bike. You absolutely "on" and not "in" the bike. In my opinion it's perfect for a 90% short trips and fun back road riding and 10% travel mix. My miles are more like 5% commutes (normally take the bicycle), 30% short day trips, 65% on either weekend or longer trips. Therefore, not a bike for me.

- Brakes
- Handling for fun riding
- Engine
- Weight
- Best center stand balance ever

Dislikes:

- Instruments
- Part of the seating position (just too super motard for me)
- Handling, a bit of twitchiness (for touring)
- "Smallness"
- Wind protection (expected)
- Suspension too stiff and not compliant at all

If they put that engine in a Multistrada I could be tempted. But it still has a chain, and chains piss me off. Like today when I changed tires on my Tiger ... what a freaking mess that chain is ...

Btw: I compare the suspension to my Tiger which has Öhlins rear shock and Traxxion AK-20 front, fully adjustable, set up for my style and weight. Therefore - not a very fair comparison.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote