User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #181
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 213
Shascot Pics

After a long search for tubeless dualsport tires, true tubeless as labelled, I bought a pair Kenda K761, and bought the smallest size rear for the front, and mounted backwards, as 18 inch DS front tires don't exist, that I know of.
After riding them, I can now report that these tires ride great, after 100 miles of some of Idaho's best dirt roads.
After hitting asphalt at 117 miles, I gassed up and took a 50 mile superslab ride home as it was just about dark30!
I could not feel anything different about these tires from the road tires they replaced, riding the superslab...smooooth
And on the dirt roads the OLD tires, the back tire was snappy loose on corners and I often had to plant a foot to get straightened out.
The NEW K761s are way more controlled with sliding, feet up, not scary at all

Here's what they look like:

Checkout the DIY side covers
Kenstone

kenstone screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 02:18 PM
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #182
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,132
Very cool! They really fit the look of the bike too.

Not too expensive either, correct?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #183
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,023
I am running a tube type tire on the rear. Had a Kenda K761 and now running the Shinko 705. I love the Shinko way better than the Kenda. Better grip on dry and wet asphault and no issues on dirt roads either. Shinko has 50% of the thread left at 5000 miles. I was replacing the Kenda at 5000miles and it was bald in the center. Shinko will be going back on the bike for sure. (if it ever wears out)

Only thing you have to make sure of is tire prep before mounting them. The tube tires have little mold "tits" on the bead surface that a tubless tire does not have. Take a razor blade and cut them flush. Also do not run the tire with low air pressure as they can unseat the beam if put in a bind. (ask how I know. Tried to air down for sand and forgot to air back up on the street)

Over 10k on tube type tires and will continue to run them on the Ascot.

This is the K761

The Shinko (not the best pic I know)

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:08 PM
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #184
kenstone
newb

truck6driver:
nice, good info
what do you run on the front?
Are those Kenda's on that Mtn bike

kenstone screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:29 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #185
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstone View Post
truck6driver:
nice, good info
what do you run on the front?
Are those Kenda's on that Mtn bike
Right now I have a Kenda Challenger. Is almost gone. Will be looking for a replacement soon. A Shinko I hope will fit the bill.

As for the bicycle, it is my son's freestyle bike and yes it actually does have Kenda bicycle tires on it.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 06:20 PM
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #186
kenstone
newb

freestyle I should have known, a single speed, with all those spokes.
Do the FT's have a 19 inch front wheel?

kenstone screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 09:04 AM
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #187
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstone View Post
freestyle I should ahve known, a single speed, with all those spokes.
Do the FT's have a 19 inch front wheel?
Yes it does have a 19" front.

Ray
Old 05-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #188
Neon Black
Supertramp

Oddometer: 24
odo/speedometer problem

The wire that goes up into my odometer/speedometer was making a loud whining noise in higher gears. Well I rode from Eastern Texas to North-Eastern Tennessee (1,300 miles) and mid-ride my odometer/speedometer broked...

I checked the wire and it's not that. I'm thinking about taking apart the dash and trying to fix it. First I'm gonna change the oil/filter here in a little while. I would appreciate any help/advice.

It's a 1983 VT500. Thanks for any help!

-Neon
Neon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #189
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

I had the speedo head go bad on my Ascot. I have yet to replace it. I know that in 5th gear 4000 rpm is 60mph 3500 is 55mph. If I'm going slower I'm in traffic and just go with the flow.

Check e-bay for them as thats where I found my replacement. I just haven't put it in yet.

Also don't forget to check the hub gear at the front wheel.

Ray
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #190
Neon Black
Supertramp

speed bump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post

Also don't forget to check the hub gear at the front wheel.

Ray
What do you mean by this? I'm very mechanically-inclined but still have much to learn about bikes and their parts.

Also, I'd like to try to fix it myself if I can. I'm trying to take apart the dashboard to see if I can see what went wrong, but the speedometer needle and the trip-mileage knob are getting in my way, I need to remove them to get into the dash. Any advice on taking them off? Do they just pull on out or is there some nut I need to remove first?

Kenstone: I really dig your customization job! The circular headlight looks dope and I might want to do something similar. What type of headlight is that? Was it expensive?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
-Neon Black
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #191
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

OK the drive hub is what the cable goes into at the wheel. There is a plastic gear set in the housing that can wear out and keep the cable from turning. You can raise the front tire and pull off the cable. Spin the front wheel and make sure the cable is turning. Try to hold the cable with your fingers to put a load on it to see if it is slipping.

The speedo housing has to un-bolted from the back of the cluster. I have the FT500 and you have the VT500 but I think the gauges are the same Just a different housing. Once those are out it should slide out.

Ray
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #192
Neon Black
Supertramp

PDF Manual

I found a downloadable .pdf manual for the VT500!!

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/VT/VT500/

Slightly weird thing about it is that half of it seems to be in German or some other language... I'm trying to figure out if its full in several languages but from what I see so far its like half of it is English and the other half German. Yeah I don't know but it's better than nothing!

-Neon

edit: oops... looks like this manual is for a "VT500C" hmmm... well I guess it can still be helpful since the bikes are very similar, so I will leave the link up. But I guess I'm still looking for an actual 1983 VT500 Manual. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

Neon Black screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:52 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #193
kenstone
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
OK the drive hub is what the cable goes into at the wheel. There is a plastic gear set in the housing that can wear out and keep the cable from turning. You can raise the front tire and pull off the cable. Spin the front wheel and make sure the cable is turning. Try to hold the cable with your fingers to put a load on it to see if it is slipping.

The speedo housing has to un-bolted from the back of the cluster. I have the FT500 and you have the VT500 but I think the gauges are the same Just a different housing. Once those are out it should slide out.

Ray
This, and if you unbolt the headlight, move it out of the way you can remove the speedo cable from the speedo.
When you spin the front wheel the inner cable should turn, at the exposed speedo end of the cable.
If it does not the problem is at the wheel, if it does turn, the problem is in the speedo.
Because you could hear a noise, would indicate to me the problem is within the speedo.
With the headlight out of the way, you can remove the plastic gear drive from the bottom of the speedo, as it is usually the 1st component to fail.

I'm new to the Ascot and have gotten good advise here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...00enthusiasts/
Kenstone
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #194
Neon Black
Supertramp

Oooooooooo-tay!!

Alright so it's definitely not the cable, its inside the dash/speedo like I thought. Still having trouble getting to it because the trip-reset knob is getting in the way of removing the dash housing. I can take off the faceplate but the speedo/rpm needles are again getting in the way of removing the indicator plates. Can I just pull those out or is there some nut/screw to remove? (I'm starting to repeat myself here...)

Aside from that minor inconvenience (because as Ray says, I can tell my higher speeds by my RPMs) I have a few unrelated questions:

1) I'd like to get a new seat. The Ascot's stock seat is super uncomfortable for the kind of riding I do (might have something to do with the fact that my seat is covered in black duct tape...), and I'd like to find a more "bucket-like" seat that would fit it. Are there other seats from other Hondas that would fit it or would I need to have a custom upholster job done?

2) Is there a universal luggage rack that would fit my VT? Or any luggage rack, really. I've looked and looked online, but with no luck.

3) Where do I get some of those awesome ADVrider stickers I keep seeing!? One of those oval white ones would look LOVELY in the bottom corner of my windshield!

ADVrider rocks, you guys rock, stay dope you all!!
-Neon Black

Edit: Kenstone, I will try removing this "plastic gear drive from the bottom of the speedo" tomorrow morning, see if that's the problem or not. I think I know what you're talking about (under the dash, between the speedometer and the cable?) and I believe it can be removed without having to take off the whole plastic dash housing.

Neon Black screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 09:37 PM
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #195
Neon Black
Supertramp

Tripping over my own foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Black View Post
Alright so it's definitely not the cable, its inside the dash/speedo like I thought. Still having trouble getting to it because the trip-reset knob is getting in the way of removing the dash housing. I can take off the faceplate but the speedo/rpm needles are again getting in the way of removing the indicator plates. Can I just pull those out or is there some nut/screw to remove? (I'm starting to repeat myself here...)
Ok I am jumping ahead of myself. What I just posted here was not entirely correct. It's NOT the cable, but it is also not in the dash. With a little more troubleshooting today I've found out that the problem is at the hub, where the speedo cable connects to the wheel. I took off the cable at the hub and spun the tire as Ray directed, and the little stub that sticks out to spin the cable doesn't spin when I turn the front tire...

Now, there's also something else that needs to be addressed: I took a look at the manufacturer's plate that is tacked to the frame, the one with all the VIN number and make/model stuff, and I found something that is just confusing...

As you can see, the plate shows that the bike is a VT500FT. But I was under the impression that mine was only a VT500 (since that's what it says on the side panels). Am I going crazy or is there something here I just don't understand?