Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #106
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Everyone must own (but only once) a POS bike that needs to be repaired mid-ride, and twice on a school day. Lessons in humility and roadside wrenching are invaluable.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #107
Wreckster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Alrighty, my list.

Old enduro - 70's - early 80's. No link suspension here, mine was an XT550 that I miss terribly. Something to be had with a bike so simple and easy to work on. If you have my luck, you'll chase an issue down (would not rev past 4200 rpm) for as long as you own it and not find out what it is. Was probably the flat battery in mine.

Either Ninja 250 or 500 - 500 if you're bigger of course. Will really teach you a thing or two working on them and riding them. Such a good balance between utilitarianism and ease to ride. I would suggest either one as a superb trainer bike.

KLR of any vintage - I put near 30k on mine. They are perfectly bland in everything they do. So bland you start lusting after more purpose built machines, like my fzr. I still miss that KLR like an old dog and it's only been gone a month!

Hypersport something or other - Ducati, Liter bike, ZX14, Busa, Aprilia... you name it. Every rider should have the opportunity to ride something that lights your soul on fire. I've ridden some of the earlier liter bikes.. the one's that will scare even veteran riders when they first twist the throttle. I can't even to this day explain the feeling of acceleration on one of these bikes. Vision unable to keep up, Being able to barely comprehend what is going on between your legs... that's what she said

And our wives wonder what this fascination is with our bikes.
Wreckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #108
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Everyone must own (but only once) a POS bike that needs to be repaired mid-ride, and twice on a school day. Lessons in humility and roadside wrenching are invaluable.
this, but more than once is ok.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #109
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
You guys make me wonder about the klr. What the heck is the big deal?! Granted, I have never ridden one.
In the text of the thread title "Bikes you must OWN at least once" I submit that it's not just the KLR or DR (which I own), it's having a big thumper. Their practicality and versatility has always given them a charm all their own. My dad started riding back in the 1920s and spoke fondly of thumpers. Once I got over having to have the latest/greatest/fastest I too have become a big fan.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #110
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
RZ350. Pure riding fun.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #111
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
bike

Yamaha rd350
Gsxr1000 k5/k6
Hayabusa
Wr250r
Cr500/ kawa h2
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #112
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
It is brilliant in its wide ranging mediocrity. Jimmy the Heater

I had to post this again. I've spent years in libraries, first as a patron, now as a library director and I love the written word. This sentence is classic! Thanks JTH.
Buck McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #113
Cyclic Rival
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I currently own an '04 SV650 that I bought 2 years ago with 2k miles on it. After researching good beginner bikes I knew I would want the SV and I have put over 8k miles and 2 sets of tires on it since owning it. I have loved every mile.

I have decided to sell or trade it for a new bike but damn does this thread make me start to second guess my decision. On the bright side the bike I have decided to move into is a Ducati so that will be 2 bikes off the list.
Cyclic Rival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #114
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck McCann View Post
It is brilliant in its wide ranging mediocrity. Jimmy the Heater

I had to post this again. I've spent years in libraries, first as a patron, now as a library director and I love the written word. This sentence is classic! Thanks JTH.

I do try to be creative and on occasion something decent comes out. That is quite the compliment coming from one with your background. I thank you.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #115
eggbert69
Grarararararararararrroom

Oddometer: 27
For all you yanks pining about how awesome the Ninja 250 is.... You need to check out ye'olde Honda CBR250RR.. Gear driven camshafts, 250cc 4 cylinder motor which goes to 18,000rpm (!) and are bulletproof reliable.

Sure, the Ninja is fairly fun but a properly maintained baby-blade with some sticky tyres on it is so much better.

Also, in line with the small capacity supersports, RVF400 or the VFR400.
eggbert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #116
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

If Honda would have imported those to the US, you sure as hell bet there would be one in the garage instead of the Ninja 250 that's in there now.

I think I've watched every vid there is on the CBR250rr and the 250 Hornet. Absolutely drool over those. And in 2 more years we can legally import the very desirable '90 model. Parts would be a complete pain in the ass though.

Love those 400's too, perfect power to weight ratio in my mind. What other 400cc sport bikes were made that weren't just sleeved down 600's? FZR400 maybe?

Now delete your damn post Egg so I can stop staring at it!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #117
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
A friend of mine has a Euro CBR400RR.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #118
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
And in 2 more years we can legally import the very desirable '90 model. Parts would be a complete pain in the ass though.
Definitely an inconvenience for a daily rider, but for an occasional rider or track-day toy, it might not be too bad. The aftermarket is ripe for these in Japan and there are a number of shops who gladly cater to grey-market bikes abroad by shipping internationally.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #119
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Definitely an inconvenience for a daily rider, but for an occasional rider or track-day toy, it might not be too bad. The aftermarket is ripe for these in Japan and there are a number of shops who gladly cater to grey-market bikes abroad by shipping internationally.

This is very true...It wouldn't be a first bike, or even a second. It would certainly fill a niche that nothing else in this country could do. Do I really need 5 bikes in my garage....Maybe
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #120
eggbert69
Grarararararararararrroom

Oddometer: 27
Check out this video of my mate's VFR400. 400cc V4 with gear driven cams and Yoshimura pipe caning it through a tunnel ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mdVYttO4xg

(I don't know how to embed)
eggbert69 is offline   Reply With Quote