Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
No scooter is going to be good for your 11 year old. Get him a dirt bike or mini bike but nothing road legal. As for a scoot any Genuine Buddy will work as will the Piaggio Fly and the assorted Kymcos and Hondas mentioned above along with the Zuma which is the closest to a dirt bike you are likely to get for a scooter.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
First of all, what do you mean by "mopeds?" Actual pedal mopeds, or small scooters? Do you need a certain speed to keep up with traffic? If you have steep hills, I don't recommend a small scooter, their CVT transmissions do not like hills. A 50cc 2 speed Tomos moped will easily outclimb my Vino 125, if you back off the throttle and let it stay in first gear. A small motorcycle, say 125cc, with a manual transmission will blow by a 125cc scooter like it was standing still going up a hill. The MadAss 125 should work if it is a manual transmission. If you seriously want something your kid can use as a dirt bike, then a small displacement dual sport is the way to go, just make sure the kid stays off the road with it. No 11 year old belongs on the road, though I was riding a dirt bike on rural country roads at that age.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
creighta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
where we are i was running equipment up this same stretch when i was eight. speed isnt major issue, only going a mile or so but 20mph is too slow; would like 45mph. the mopeds we have are actual mopeds-$30 ragged out slow mopeds that are currently used to run around on the farm.

maybe the original question should have been: From your experience what is the most durable, small cc scooter for short runs and frequent, non aggressive, off roading through fields? i like the rukus but they go for new prices, what else is out there that you have tried?
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
where we are i was running equipment up this same stretch when i was eight. speed isnt major issue, only going a mile or so but 20mph is too slow; would like 45mph. the mopeds we have are actual mopeds-$30 ragged out slow mopeds that are currently used to run around on the farm.

maybe the original question should have been: From your experience what is the most durable, small cc scooter for short runs and frequent, non aggressive, off roading through fields? i like the rukus but they go for new prices, what else is out there that you have tried?

I just can't see any actual scooter being used off road, or even on semi rough dirt roads. They don't have the frame strength or suspension for it. It can be done, and has been done, but I don't know how long a scooter would last.

45 mph up a steep hill is going to take more power and better gearing than most 125-150cc scooters have. If it has to be automatic, you are going to need more engine displacement to maintain 45 mph up a steep hill. Neither my Vino 125 nor my Zuma 125 will do it, though the Zuma is not far off. Both are hampered by being geared too high for good climbing. I have heard the SYM HD200 will do it, but it's not a dirt bike.

I'm afraid I just don't know of any CVT driven scooter that will both maintain 45 mph up a steep hill, and be usable off road, and survive very long. Another issue with CVT scooters off road would be getting dirt into the variator. Mine have fiters, but they don't look like they would be very effective if actually used in the dirt.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I just can't see any actual scooter being used off road, or even on semi rough dirt roads. They don't have the frame strength or suspension for it.
There is one....built with off road racing in mind. They do have the frame strength, so long as you're not trying to jump it like it was a supermoto bike. The Transmission case is baffled and filtered.
The Yamaha Zuma 125

http://youtu.be/t4Pl3OeTmls

http://youtu.be/6QKRo8f9EtI

http://youtu.be/v742zlMfxnQ

I don't see how those "normal" dirtbikes can survive...what with having an open chain that has to be covered with a dirt-attractant

45MPH up a steep hill is no problem, though I did elect to go with a 155cc kit and a re-gear of the final drive so I could ride on the county roads at 65.

The one thing that the Zuma 125 has going against it for an 11 year old is seat height and width. Most adults are on the balls of their feet at a stop.

k-moe screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:35 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
creighta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
that video may very well have answered the question! i was leaning toward a Zuma 50 already.
also found this, but chinese....
http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-4-s...unk-d150l.html

was that actually a scooter wheelie in the video? Awsome
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
that video may very well have answered the question! i was leaning toward a Zuma 50 already.
also found this, but chinese....
http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-4-s...unk-d150l.html

was that actually a scooter wheelie in the video? Awsome
THe scooter you linked was built to be thrown away. Purchase it at our own peril.

Did someone say scooter wheelie......

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...be.vFOwSr9UnvI

This one is my favorite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WWn...6XfQNrF1XC0cHQ
It is also very unsafe, and nobody should ever ride like that on a public road....ever.......not even once.

k-moe screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:21 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote