User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #316
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Rad. Leak

2013 Tiger 800 (ABS) - has started to leak anti-freeze onto the crash bars and left side of engine case.

Wiped her down, took out for a ride and stopped by my dealer on Sat. I was prepared for - "make an appt. to bring the bike back", so almost fell over when the person at the service desk got a tech out to the parking lot to look at the bike. At first, he didn't believe me and said that I rode into something; however realized that this could come back and bite him, so decided to take into the workshop. 20 min's later, he comes back and say that there was in fact a problem with the seal, which he filed down and should be fine. If there is a problem, call back and they will order in a new rad. Rode around this w/e and it's worst than before - shop is now ordering the parts to have the rad. replaced. Will take 2 weeks though.

I really can't complain about the level of service I received from the dealer as it's being dealt with; just not impressed that there is a problem with a brand new bike.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #317
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
2013 Tiger 800 (ABS) - has started to leak anti-freeze onto the crash bars and left side of engine case.

Wiped her down, took out for a ride and stopped by my dealer on Sat. I was prepared for - "make an appt. to bring the bike back", so almost fell over when the person at the service desk got a tech out to the parking lot to look at the bike. At first, he didn't believe me and said that I rode into something; however realized that this could come back and bite him, so decided to take into the workshop. 20 min's later, he comes back and say that there was in fact a problem with the seal, which he filed down and should be fine. If there is a problem, call back and they will order in a new rad. Rode around this w/e and it's worst than before - shop is now ordering the parts to have the rad. replaced. Will take 2 weeks though.

I really can't complain about the level of service I received from the dealer as it's being dealt with; just not impressed that there is a problem with a brand new bike.
I had a similar problem. I noticed mine leaking coolant onto my engine case and shoe one day. I pulled over and got into it. On mine, it was just one of the hose clamps was loosening. I assume he checked all of these? Was it coming from the rad or somewhere else?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #318
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,414
I think I documented earlier in the thread, but mine would drip on the floor next to the kickstand. I replaced the small bypass hose that comes up next to the countersprocket and that fixed. it. Was like $8.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #319
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Ok, will look at all hoses and clamps this evening.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #320
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Bike at the dealer now. Just replaced a leaking Clutch cover gasket. I complained about the 4k-5k vibration and they checked the TB's and said they were out of sync. They are syncing them now.

They are also further checking into the bouncing front end issue and they will be checking fluid and weight levels at Triumphs recommendation. I have to bring the bike back for that as they can't do it today.

At least the dealer is looking into it.

I do have to say, Triumph really needs to step up their quality control when shipping out bikes. Seems like all the issues I have had would have been non issues if someone did their job correctly at the factory.

Edit: syncing did nothing for the vibration. Need to figure that out. Highway speed with suck if I can't fix this.

cory1848 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 03:44 PM
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #321
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
syncing did nothing for the vibration. Need to figure that out. Highway speed with suck if I can't fix this.
Without reading backwards through this thread were you in on the too tight chain discussion? Got plenty of slack in your chain?
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #322
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Edit: syncing did nothing for the vibration. Need to figure that out. Highway speed with suck if I can't fix this.
Mine has the same. Only thing I can say: I pretty much got used to it and it's getting less and less now after 5k miles.

The one important thing is to check the torque of the crash bars - if they are too loose they might make vibrations worse.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #323
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Wheel balance?
Does it feel grindy? Or buzzing in the bars, seat, or pegs?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #324
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Wheel balance?
Does it feel grindy? Or buzzing in the bars, seat, or pegs?
Unlikely as he said it's based on a rev range between 4k and 5k if I understand that correctly. Mine has the same. More precisely from ~4.2k to ~4.8k.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #325
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Unlikely as he said it's based on a rev range between 4k and 5k if I understand that correctly. Mine has the same. More precisely from ~4.2k to ~4.8k.
Yes mine starts right about 4200-4300. Doesn't really smooth or go away the higher the revs. It's buzzy in bars footpegs and seat to the point that on long distances I could my ass going numb.

Chain checks out. Not too tight. I can feel the vibration stationary so I don't think it's driveline related. Out of sync TBs would have made the most sense but after getting that fixed and it not fixing the issue I am not sure what to check.

Dealer checked wheel balance. I checked engine bolt torque. I don't have crash bars yet.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #326
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Hmmm...as Cug says, it's a noisy clicky-ticky motor. I haven't really noticed vibes at that range. It seems to run right about 6K on the hiway, at least that's where I ride it. Overall I find it super smooth throughout. Certainly nothing like my old Kawasaki Versys. That thing would make your nose itch.

I'll check it out later today when I'm out, pay closer attention.

Sounds like it could be something internal. How odd. Would be nice if you could compare side by side with another one. Anyone else local to you?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #327
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Sounds like it could be something internal. How odd. Would be nice if you could compare side by side with another one. Anyone else local to you?
It's also a matter of perspective. I'm complaining about that vibration in that rev range, my wife after riding my bike only said "What the hell are you talking about? There are no vibrations!". She rides a 650cc thumper ...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #328
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Well yeah, I may just not notice it either. I've got that TE630 Husky, and at 90mph it vibrates like a harley. LOL. Seriously, like it's gonna come apart. Between motor vibes and poor tire balance on knobbies, it grinds pretty good. Sure wouldn't want to do that all day.

EDIT: Okay, took a ride back to the office today after lunch, particularly paying attention to rpms and vibes. Man, I just don't really get any vibes. At first I thought I remembered it 3-4K and my tach never gets below 4K unless I'm stopping or starting. Then I remembered it was between 4 and 5K. Normally when I shift the tack drops to 4. But 4-5 is the meat of where I ride, pretty much all between 4 and 6K, sometimes to 7, but very rarely past that unless I'm just being stupid. I think I've only redlined the bike a time or two, it happens so damn quick.

So the last half mile I did pay particular attention between 4 and 5K and there is a very slight vibe that feels like a shiver up the bike as it accellerates through the range. Normal shift is generally about 5500 to 6K. It is ever so slight, but there is something there. I would have to really concentrate to detect it. And it doesn't isolate to pegs, seat, or bars, just kind of an overall feel.

If you're getting a lot of vibration there has to be something not right. Mine is so damn smooth you really have to focus to detect any vibes. And I threw out my peg rubbers the day the bike came home.

browneye screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #329
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

The vibes I get are very noticeable. Maybe it will go away with miles but I am not sure. The bike is geared to be working in the 4-6k range and the vibes make it unpleasant. I am going to keep pushing it with the dealer so it's all documented in case something happens later down the road. It's tough when the dealer says that it's a characteristic of the bike or there isn't much they can do. From what I am hearing that's not the case. Just wish it was an easy fix.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #330
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,167
Quote:
The vibes I get are very noticeable. Maybe it will go away with miles but I am not sure. The bike is geared to be working in the 4-6k range and the vibes make it unpleasant. I am going to keep pushing it with the dealer so it's all documented in case something happens later down the road. It's tough when the dealer says that it's a characteristic of the bike or there isn't much they can do. From what I am hearing that's not the case. Just wish it was an easy fix.
Can you ride another bike from the dealer and compare?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote