Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #16
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
I've had several bikes that had a front end shimmy at 45 mph. In all cases it was a Michelin tire. I never use Michelins on the front. OK on the back. My theory is the tread pattern spacing is resonant with the front end suspension at 45 mph. You might try to attach some weight to your forks to change the frequency or just get a front tire of another manufacture.
I've worn at least 3 sets of AnakeeI and one set of AnakeeII on three different DL650's, that I've owned. Before the DL's came around, I had an SV650, that had Pilot Road2's, and now my newest DL650 has PR3's. Zero "wobbles" on any of these, so based on my own experience, I don't buy this "Michelin-theory". An individual tyre can always be defective, from any manufacturer, but it's rare. (Just my 0.02 of course.)

Pecha72 screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 04:40 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #17
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Spoke wheels are prone to some inconsistencies I guess. This is the second tire with the same result. First was in stock second was ordered from supplier to replace. I guess the .5 mm variance with the 21 in spoke wheel in combo with this specific tire might result in the wobble.
wspllrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
craigo298er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Anakee III's

I just put over 3500 miles on my super T with new Anakee III's in the last 2 weeks, no problems at all, but they were a bitch to balance correctly...the front required about an ounce and one half, funny part is the last1/4 ounce would only balance correctly when placed about 9 inches from rest of the weight. I've mounted and balanced a lot of tires, never had one balance like that....otherwise great tire so far. Had them offroad for maybe 100 miles before trip, seem at least as capable as the old II's..
craigo298er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Decided to try the Dunlop TR91s.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dealer called. Ride is the same with the Dunlops. The wheel is in spec and they say the spokes are the correct tension. So.... There appears to be some issue with the wheel. I guess time will tell if it continues.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rode about 45 miles - still same problem. I am taking it back and have them figure it out.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Does anybody remember the "Tourance Wobble?" Seems it was worst on Vstroms, while other bikes were unaffected by it. I know mine had a noticeable wobble with a Tourance front. Maybe the Anakee 3 on the Tiger has the same issue?
I remember. Dyna Bead balancing solved my wobble and completely eliminated the feathering of the tread as the tire wore.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dynamic bead balancing?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I can't help but wonder if this isn't really an 800XC problem. I have stock Scorpions on my 2013 800XC and I have a very noticeable front end vertical oscillation at 40MPH. I've never encountered anything like that in the half a dozen or so bikes that I have owned.

I seem to recall that some other 800XC owners have mentioned a similar issue with their bike. I was already looking into some suspension upgrades in an attempt to eliminate the oscillation.

It might be good to start another thread and compare stories and potential fixes?

vintagebob screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 11:19 AM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There may be one here? But the tiger 800 uk forum has quite a few that discuss this and a survey. Based on what I am finding this is a frequent problem. Interesting that you have it with the current oem tires. Original oem tire was bridgestones avid I never noticed it until tire replacement. So far I have not seen a standard fix other than some gave reported success with suspension setting adjustment. I have seen no improvement with adjustments to suspension or tire pressure. I am not sure I feel like experimenting with suspension upgrades. I am not enjoying riding it now and am a little discouraged with Triumph at this point. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Have they check the balance of the bare wheels? Steering head bearings lubed and tight?

My DL1K will go in to a tank slapper descending from about 40mph down to 20 ONLY if I am hands off (tourance). Hands on, I have never felt it wobble. Even when it does wobble, it doesn't bother me since I can grab the bars and it goes away. This probably doesn't help, but I wonder if the big adv style bikes are just a bit prone to this?

Edit: Crazy thought, but if this only happened after they changed the tires...did they adjust the chain too tight? Most chains I have seen don't show an even amount of slack at various wheel positions. If they got it too tight, I could be jacking on the swingarm?

pjensen641 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 11:28 AM
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
wspllrll OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I loosened the chain to slack end of speck. Wheels are within .5 of spec. Supposedly they are considered in spec by Triumph at 1mm out of round. I am reading of lots of people with this issue. So yes it seems to be endemic to these 21 inch wheels on the Tiger XC but I am seeing mention of the roadie owners with the same problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #28
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
I would consider changing the wheel bearings, even though the bike is basically new. Bad bearings can cause this problem at these speeds. I've had it several times.

If you do replace the bearings, I would try to cross-reference them and buy a set of premium Timken/Fafnir or SKF if that is not what is being used at the factory. Having the stock bearings replaced under warranty with similar cheap bearings (if that is the case) will possibly not fix the issue.

I've encountered premium motorcycle manufacturers using bearings sourced from far-away asian lands that surprised me. Replacing them with good stuff eliminated the sort of wheel wobble we are discussing.

As already mentioned, also check the steering head bearings tension etc.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #29
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,777
sometimes a bad rear tire will make the front wobble... just say'n

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #30
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspllrll View Post
Tiger 800 xc - yes bead is fine and balance to zero. Maybe just a defective tire? Only really happens noticeably at right around 42-47 mph

My last three motorcycles have done that. All very different bikes with different tires.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote