Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #35311
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
even with sag set the rebound needs to be set at max, these suckers are WAYYYY under dampened on the rebound side. Turns into a pogo stick quite rapidly offroad. IMHO the rear shock is the biggest downfall on these bikes. If I end up keeping mine I have to send the shock out for work.
To each his own. Mine works well enough for my 72 year old fat but! Sag at 4 1/4 & rebound all the way off, counter clockwise

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...601fe.mp4.html

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...12003.mp4.html

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...T0005.mp4.html

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...T0004.mp4.html

AZ TOM screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 11:36 AM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #35312
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post

Since I am at work, I only watched a little bit of the first linked vid. That small rocky bumpy terrain would not require the shock rebound set all the way out , nor a rebuild.

The people that need the rebound set at max and/or rear shock rebuilds, are the guys that ride in a such a way, that the rear shock gets fully compressed, either with small jumps and/or whoops. When the stock shock gets fully compressed, the rebound damping needs to be increased...dramatically.

Edit: The guys that have their bikes bouncing them in different directions from the way that they are trying to get the bike to go, know if they need the rear shock redone or not. I would not advise anyone who does not know what pogo'ing is, or if their bike is doing it, to have the shock rebuilt.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #35313
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Since I am at work, I only watched a little bit of the first linked vid. That small rocky bumpy terrain would not require the shock rebound set all the way out , nor a rebuild.

The people that need the rebound set at max and/or rear shock rebuilds, are the guys that ride in a such a way, that the rear shock gets fully compressed, either with small jumps and/or whoops. When the stock shock gets fully compressed, the rebound damping needs to be increased...dramatically.

Edit: The guys that have their bikes bouncing them in different directions from the way that they are trying to get the bike to go, know if they need the rear shock redone or not. I would not advise anyone who does not know what pogo'ing is, or if their bike is doing it, to have the shock rebuilt.
So little time, so many experts
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #35314
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:

Thanks for the contribution to the discussion. More discussion and expression of opinions is better than less. As a WR newbie and one who is not particularly knowledgeable about setups or wrenching, outside of oil changes, it is much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #35315
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
So little time, so many experts

Yes, I don't know if Doug is an expert, but he sure knows what he's talking about here.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #35316
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
I have my rebound all of the way up and most of time it is fine. Actually this is like 98% of the time. It is only when I am going fast through whoop type trails and the rear of the bike starts hitting me in the butt do I get the feeling I have to slow down. I also do not like ramping the bike because I have not figured out how to keep it from nosing over so bad. I think the shock would help this also. I want to get mine done but have not had the $$ lately and I can make do for now.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #35317
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Yes, I don't know if Doug is an expert, but he sure knows what he's talking about here.
Probably all this tame, easy terrain we have out here in the west tends to slant our shock setting expertise Will take more than a shock rebuild to make a motocrosser out of the WRR
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #35318
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Its all good gents. I am no expert...I just know what my bike does and does not do, and what steps are needed to fix the issue.

I put my experience out there, and people can do what they will with it. If people can take it it and helps them, then good. If not, so be it. My panties don't get bunched if someone doesn't take my advice or does not believe what I am saying.

Duanew1: Nosing over = pogo'ing.

FWIW, what some guys use their WRR's for, I could ride my 500 lbs street bike on.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #35319
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
FWIW, what some guys use their WRR's for, I could ride my 500 lbs street bike on.
Suspension is working great for me.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #35320
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Suspension is working great for me.
As long as we're all putting in our two cents...my suspension is bone stock and I've never had a problem with it. Playing with the clickers and setting my rear preload for 4" race sag helped. I stand up on the pegs, bump over giant ruts and roots in single-track (and no-track), toss the bike around soft-ish sand and ride over heavily rutted roads that haven't been maintained in decades. If I wanted to rip across the Eurasian landscape at 80mph safely I would probably put $1k into a "magic carpet ride" but as far as I can tell, the stock stuff works just fine if you are willing to cut your speed down a bit.

I will say this much: If your front feels too stiff on a hot day after some riding, lift your front wheel off the ground and air-bleed the forks. I use a pair of these and they work great.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #35321
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
4.25" sag? That sounds like way too much to me. Typically you want 1/3 of your suspension travel as race sag. On our reduced 10" of travel that gives us about 3.3". You would also be looking at having around 1" of static sag.

4+ inches would be for MX bikes and other orange bikes with 12-13 inches of suspension travel.

Just curious have you ever had any problems with the chain slider wearing out?
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #35322
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post

I will say this much: If your front feels too stiff on a hot day after some riding, lift your front wheel off the ground and air-bleed the forks. I use a pair of these and they work great.
Noob question - I looked at the fork bleeders on Rocky Mtn and also Motion Pro sites. I get why one might release some air on a hot day, or for transport, but does this released air replenish itself? These valves release air, but where does the air come from in the first place?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #35323
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 343
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Noob question - I looked at the fork bleeders on Rocky Mtn and also Motion Pro sites. I get why one might release some air on a hot day, or for transport, but does this released air replenish itself? These valves release air, but where does the air come from in the first place?
My wife asks me the same question when I release air.....
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #35324
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
It leaks in or out during operation. telescopic forks are a thing of beauty, but not 100% airtite. The goal is to keep the air in the forks at atmospheric pressure.

+1 on the motion pro ones, they are like jewels and very convenient to use.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #35325
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
4.25" sag? That sounds like way too much to me. Typically you want 1/3 of your suspension travel as race sag. On our reduced 10" of travel that gives us about 3.3". You would also be looking at having around 1" of static sag.

4+ inches would be for MX bikes and other orange bikes with 12-13 inches of suspension travel.

Just curious have you ever had any problems with the chain slider wearing out?
Have almost 15,000 on my 08 WR, & no issues with swing arm running 14/48. Also have original fuel pump. Just lucky I guess. When in rough terrain you are standing & hence using almost all the travel. I think the stock shock spring is a little on the stiff side & experience no bottoming with that much sag. Also with less rebound damping the shock works through entire stroke when riding. Have bottomed out the forks on occasion.I have always felt the bike to be under sprung in the front & over sprung in the rear. Again depends on so many things. Not against shock revalve, but not cheap & no guaranteed major improvement