Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #136
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Handlebar/controls position can be altered a bit. Or the handlebar can be changed, too. Strangely my -12 model was a bit 'buzzy' @ 5000rpm at first, but I think its not like that any more. That might affect the riders hands on longer continuous rides.

The seat is now way better than previous models stock seat, that thing sucked. Still probably not perfect though.
You know I noticed that same thing this morning. Right after you pass 4500rpm it get a slight tingly buzz in the handlebars. Hope it goes away after I get some miles on it. If not, I can try the vibranator
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #137
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

A few observations about my 650 Vstrom after 900 miles:

Right now I feel like I could not have made a better decision. When people say this bike does it all, you don't fully realize what they mean, until you live with it through a few different situations.

Run through the twisties along with the liter bikes - check
Stable/comfortable highway tourer - check
Nimble city navigator - check
Comfortable Ergos for 7 days a week commuting - check

Those were the important things to me.

I've gotten into sloped parking lot situations that made me appreciate the (relative) lightness of the vstrom. I remeber having trouble pushing the tenere around on a flat surface at the dealership. I really would not enjoy a heavier bike for my purposes and I feel it would probably have already been dropped a few times.

I rode to work through a rain storm and felt like i was in a little micro bus on this bike. I feel it's confidence inspiring to me in poor weather conditions, and protects you from the elements pretty darn well, except maybe for the feet.

The only thing this bike lacks IMO is what some poeple call "character" or "bite". This bike is so well balanced and so smooth that you really kind of coast through everything without much "zing". Even in the twisties while chasing the 1000 cc ninjas i remember sweeping through a turn at 95mph being pretty uneventful and unemotional. This bike nearly drives itself and just brings you along with it! Therefore, I call it my magic carpet

So, for those wanting a daily rider/tourer that is easy to live with, the vstrom is outstanding. It is clear the vstrom was purpose built to excel at handling the daily routine. However, if you're only going out for fun rides on the weekends with your buds, and enjoy insane amounts of adrenaline, you might find the vstrom a bit uneventful. Since for me the former is much more important than the latter, I am really happy with my vstrom, the magic carpet

MariusD screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 12:47 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #138
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
I'm surprised you bought without riding them.

Bigger is not necessarily better. Once you get them moving they are all pretty easy to control. But riding also consisists of stops, parking, pulling up on a center stand, and sometimes some dirt roads and maybe even have to pick one up if you drop it.

I shopped and shopped, rode them all. Finally pretty much scratched off the liter-plus bikes because they were just too bulky for me. I think it also had to do with physical stature - I'm old and weak, 175lbs.

I would buy a Stelvio but just the thought of it being 200lbs more than my Tiger XC is too much to bear.

BTW, odd comment on the XC being ugly....it looks the same as the roadie.

But alas, the Suzuki V-Strom is world reknowned for it's beauty.

Seriously, I think you made the right choice.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #139
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I choose the XTZ since I wanted something different.
It is a lovely bike except one very annoying thing which is vibrations, not only from the handlebars but pegs as well, to be fair I got sensitive hands but compared to my K7 wee strom this model have made me think twice if i did the right choice.
Will give it a fight, did order one pound bar end weights and will take it from there.
Otherwise a very good bike, really good on dirt roads and with pillion.
Need to get used to the 25%+ fuel consumption though but should get better with the miles.
Who knows maybe there will be a 2012 Wee strom in the garage if I can not sort the vibe issue.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #140
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I choose the XTZ since I wanted something different.
It is a lovely bike except one very annoying thing which is vibrations, not only from the handlebars but pegs as well, to be fair I got sensitive hands but compared to my K7 wee strom this model have made me think twice if i did the right choice.
Will give it a fight, did order one pound bar end weights and will take it from there.
Otherwise a very good bike, really good on dirt roads and with pillion.
Need to get used to the 25%+ fuel consumption though but should get better with the miles.
Who knows maybe there will be a 2012 Wee strom in the garage if I can not sort the vibe issue.
What's a XTZ?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #141
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
i think the xtz is the S10
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #142
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Bigger is not necessarily better. Once you get them moving they are all pretty easy to control. But riding also consisists of stops, parking, pulling up on a center stand, and sometimes some dirt roads and maybe even have to pick one up if you drop it.
+1. After a Tiger 955 and a Tenere I came full circle back to a 650. For my local urban/suburban riding, backroads, and twisties, less is more provided it has a basic amount of torque.

I think there is an advertising problem with the S10 since I see so many low mileage ones for sale. For me, I kind of believed the hype that its a do-it-all bike, but now that I think back on it, it really is a purpose-built, long-distance, serious ADV touring machine, and comes into its own fully loaded up going 80 mph into the horizon day after day, and it will treat you well on gravel or dirt roads if your trip requires it. If you actually do that stuff, you will love it and be able to rely on it for tens of thousands of miles without any trouble. And yes, there are YouTube videos of expert riders thrashing them off-road for a day (see how reliable it is if you do that on a regular basis). If you are buying it thinking its a swiss-army knife with more horsepower, you will probably be putting it up for sale before too long. It is just too much weight for picking up, back into parking spots, stop n go traffic, and rolling down that trail that keeps getting narrower and narrower. Even if you are strong/skilled enough to handle that, its not always fun to be wrestling the bike (or worrying about smashing you $14k ride) instead of enjoying the ride.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #143
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I think there is an advertising problem with the S10 since I see so many low mileage ones for sale. For me, I kind of believed the hype that its a do-it-all bike, but now that I think back on it, it really is a purpose-built, long-distance, serious ADV touring machine, and comes into its own fully loaded up going 80 mph into the horizon day after day, and it will treat you well on gravel or dirt roads if your trip requires it. If you actually do that stuff, you will love it and be able to rely on it for tens of thousands of miles without any trouble. And yes, there are YouTube videos of expert riders thrashing them off-road for a day (see how reliable it is if you do that on a regular basis). If you are buying it thinking its a swiss-army knife with more horsepower, you will probably be putting it up for sale before too long. It is just too much weight for picking up, back into parking spots, stop n go traffic, and rolling down that trail that keeps getting narrower and narrower. Even if you are strong/skilled enough to handle that, its not always fun to be wrestling the bike (or worrying about smashing you $14k ride) instead of enjoying the ride.
Well put. The S10 is a adventure-bike version of the FJR and does the same mission with a little less speed, a lot more versatility, but only slightly less weight/bulk. Like the FJR, it does well with a wide variety of uses, but if you're not doing the long-distance touring mission, it's more bike than one generally needs.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #144
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post

And that is what YAMAHA officially said, but it can get you through some serious stuff but that is not its primary function. It's just that if you have to get through it, it can and better than most people will give it credit for. It is an all roads touring bike primarily and as I found out a couple of weeks ago, some of them roads can be pretty bad and go for 500Km of pretty bad. Once I got over my Oh shit assumptions it was OK.

As I have always said though, the 650-900cc area is plenty enough power for anything legal, it's just that people seem to respond more to easy numbers like capacity and HP rather than "what is really necessary" for 99% of riding.

The Glee has a great motor for the real world, and if they did a more off road biased chassis with top notch suspension I would have been in there at 40% more RRP. They won't though, because they have painted them selves into the value end of the spectrum ATM. Best value out there on OZ though.

They have stuck to their guns and it seems to be working for them. Aprillia have a good 550 motor as well which would be nice to see in a full size tough chassis, but it seems it's all Enduro at the moment.

Best thing though is the choice we have now in "sensible" bikes. It's a lot easier now to find something to suit off the floor.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #145
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
My ms told me the XTZ (ST10, tenere, XT1200Z....) is quite a bit better pillion bike which is important to us.
I can ride much faster on a dirt road.
Suspension is better.
Did I say the looks?
But in some areas the DL650 is better so in the end of the day they are both good bikes.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #146
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sure both bikes (s10 and vstrom) are great if used for purpose that they are designed and intended for. Very often poeple buy a bike that's designed for a different purpose than the person's typical use, and that's where bashing and discrediting the bike starts and ends with a "for sale" sign not too long after. This is the mistake I saw some s10 owners making and wanted to avoid.

In my enviroment (city and tight suburb) the vstrom works great for me, and leaves nothing more to be desired. I have 1150 miles on it now, which is actually pretty amazing, considering that I was putting 3k miles a year on my other bike. I don't think twice about riding it, 7 days a week now, and i still have the stock seat on the vstrom. My other bikes use to wear me out by day 4 of regular communing.

The thing I like the best about this bike is that it doesn't remind me that it's there through some weird noise or vibrations or heavy weight constantly demanding attention. It just takes me where I want to go, without any drama, or any significant fatique, and that's what I think is important in a daily commuter bike.

MariusD screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 02:35 PM