User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
alexgomez0789 OP
RONIN

Oddometer: 31
Laugh New York to Alaska and Back

Hello fellow riders, please let me know if what I am asking already exists in another thread and if not your input would be very helpful and appreciated.

For the summer of 2014 I am planning a ride from New York City where I live, north to Montreal and then west across Canada to Anchorage, Alaska. Then if time and funds permit I would like to head back east across the United States maybe stopping at Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and some other sites. The route can also be reversed to beat the heat in the Midwest and have better weather further north in Alaska and Northern Canada.

What I am asking for are some suggestions on routes and must see places that I should not miss, especially nature oriented like National Parks and Mountain roads. Any suggestion maps, routes, stopping points would help. I prefer off road middle of no where incredible landscapes as you would see on the Route from Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama if any of you have done it.

Also if anybody knows of ferry that might take my Bike from Anchorage to Vancouver or Seattle that would help.

Thanks,
Alex

alexgomez0789 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 10:20 AM
alexgomez0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgomez0789 View Post
Also if anybody knows of ferry that might take my Bike from Anchorage to Vancouver or Seattle that would help
If things stay the same, one of our State ferries will continue to do the Cross-Gulf run twice a month in 2014. It goes from Whittier, 50mi south of Anchorage, to Bellingham, Washington.

My sig line has a link to a thread about riding our ferry system if you're interested.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
There's also ferry service out of Haines and Skagway that runs a little more frequently down to Bellingham than the longer open water runs across the gulf if you're willing to drive back over and to Southeast Alaska. That's a one to two day haul if you're motivated. Check their website for the routes and sailings.

Plan some time for the trans Canada crossing from Quebec westward. I went the other way a few years back from the UP across Ontario and Quebec to Montreal and it took a bit longer than I would have planned (based on my expectations of similar roads in the US). Their main major E-W route is quite a bit different than most US highways and they frequently slow down or stop at lights at the little towns they intersect rather than going around or over at highway speeds. I've not gone all the way across those middle provinces as you're proposing but I suspect its pretty flat and cratonic for several of them. I'm not sure it gets terribly interesting until probably Alberta and even then its only the Western part of it but anything on two wheels is usually pretty interesting.

I'll bet your bike will be the color of the insides of bugs in no time.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
From Montreal heading west:

Ontario - two routes both take hwy 417 west from the border thru Ottawa to north bay. This is a mixed 4 and two lane road. At north bay the option splits into hwy 11 or hwy 17. Both 2 lane 90 km/hr road with 17 being a bit slower since it is much more scenic, take 17. 17&11 meet up out side of Thunder bay - once again take 17 up to Manitoba.

Manitoba & Sask - also two options hwy 1 to Calgary or hwy 16 to Edmonton. Hwy 1 is 4 lanes the whlow way and moves, i.e. not fun for a low powered dual sport. Hwy 16 is a bit longer and has 2 and 4 lane sections. Moves a bit slower so a better choice for 250s.

Alberta - The main reason for putting up with hwy 1 thru the praries is that you end up at the lower end of the Rockies. The ride from Banff ( just west of Calgary ) up to Jasper is maybe the best scenic road in Canada. From Jasper you can continue further north...

Waterboiler screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:32 PM
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
You've got 2 of the best roads in Canada (scenically speaking) on your route.
The Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper and the Trans Canada between
Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay.

Do hwy 40 from hwy 16 to Grande Prairie. Many don't and I think it's actually a nice quiet piece of road.
The trip from Winnipeg to Calgary is not entertaining.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
monnomania
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Top of the World Highway

Make sure you do it. One of the best I ever traveled. It is 127-kilometre (79 mi) long highway, beginning at a junction with the Taylor Highway near Jack Wade, Alaska traveling east to its terminus at the ferry terminal in West Dawson, on the western banks of the Yukon River.

Rather than heading northward from Prince George on the 'Alaska Highway' travel due west on Highway 16 to the Cassiar Highway.and then northward to Watson Lake. Smithers is one of a series of small northern towns along this highway 16 and is a nice place to hang.

The Cassiar highway is nice...turn north just after Hazelton and before Terrace, BC (HWY16). Half way to the Watson Lake you will reach a place called Meziadan Junction. There is a great camping spot here with a lake with great fishing. From Meziadan Junction you can west drive to Hyder Alaska by passing through Stewart BC.

The reason to visit Hyder (besides being 'Hyder-ized') is to go visit 1)the grizzly bear lookout (about 10kms north of Hyder I think) and 2) the Glacier.
monnomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
alexgomez0789 OP
RONIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnomania View Post
Make sure you do it. One of the best I ever traveled. It is 127-kilometre (79 mi) long highway, beginning at a junction with the Taylor Highway near Jack Wade, Alaska traveling east to its terminus at the ferry terminal in West Dawson, on the western banks of the Yukon River.

Rather than heading northward from Prince George on the 'Alaska Highway' travel due west on Highway 16 to the Cassiar Highway.and then northward to Watson Lake. Smithers is one of a series of small northern towns along this highway 16 and is a nice place to hang.

The Cassiar highway is nice...turn north just after Hazelton and before Terrace, BC (HWY16). Half way to the Watson Lake you will reach a place called Meziadan Junction. There is a great camping spot here with a lake with great fishing. From Meziadan Junction you can west drive to Hyder Alaska by passing through Stewart BC.

The reason to visit Hyder (besides being 'Hyder-ized') is to go visit 1)the grizzly bear lookout (about 10kms north of Hyder I think) and 2) the Glacier.
Thanks for the info will come in handy when planning my route.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
alexgomez0789 OP
RONIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
You've got 2 of the best roads in Canada (scenically speaking) on your route.
The Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper and the Trans Canada between
Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay.

Do hwy 40 from hwy 16 to Grande Prairie. Many don't and I think it's actually a nice quiet piece of road.
The trip from Winnipeg to Calgary is not entertaining.
Cool will be looking forward to riding through Canada
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
alexgomez0789 OP
RONIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmholio View Post
There's also ferry service out of Haines and Skagway that runs a little more frequently down to Bellingham than the longer open water runs across the gulf if you're willing to drive back over and to Southeast Alaska. That's a one to two day haul if you're motivated. Check their website for the routes and sailings.

Plan some time for the trans Canada crossing from Quebec westward. I went the other way a few years back from the UP across Ontario and Quebec to Montreal and it took a bit longer than I would have planned (based on my expectations of similar roads in the US). Their main major E-W route is quite a bit different than most US highways and they frequently slow down or stop at lights at the little towns they intersect rather than going around or over at highway speeds. I've not gone all the way across those middle provinces as you're proposing but I suspect its pretty flat and cratonic for several of them. I'm not sure it gets terribly interesting until probably Alberta and even then its only the Western part of it but anything on two wheels is usually pretty interesting.

I'll bet your bike will be the color of the insides of bugs in no time.
Having your bike full of smashed bugs is part of the ride :), and thanks for the info I will consider the ride across Canada to take much longer than I anticipated. I want to do plenty of camping and explore some nature so I will be taking my time.