Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #46
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
All this talk of WR450F or WRF engine doesn't make sense for the OP. I'm sure he meant a big bore version of the low maintenance WR250R, not the higher maintenance WR450F.

Sounds to me like the WR250R is pretty close, but if you want more grunt for highway speed, 690 Enduro or TE630 for modern, or DR650 for old-school. No kick starters on 'em though.

If you're willing to do a bit more the maintenance, the 500 EXC looks like a peach of a machine.

What it really sounds like you need is more time to ride!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
oic0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I too own the WR250, the 690 has always seemed like the obvious next step up and if I had the money I would have already done it.
The reason many go for the WR450 is because it can be had cheap used and actually does make for a reliable road bike that can handle a lot of miles.

In the mean time I've just been working my WR250 hard on back roads. I don't like the amount of input it requires to accurately meter its speed over 65mph. Its not that it can't run faster, its that its hard to keep it there. For instance, I might be going 70 and holding the throttle steady. I could look down and have dropped to 60 or gone up to 85 from a change in wind. Point it the throttle requires constant modulation. Some people can naturally moderate by engine sound, I can but only to within + or - 5mph and around here you have to go 7-10mph over to not be run over... and 11 will get you a stiff ticket. Makes the lil 250 horrible on the highway.
oic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #48
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
Greetings.

I'm looking for a suitable upgrade from my 2009 WR250R that I have put a few thousand miles on.

-Nick
We share a lot of similarities. 27, owners of WR250R's, like the bike but want more, especially torque.

I bought my WR new at the depths of the recession for $4K. I put 5000 miles - mostly off pavement on it. I liked it, but never loved it. I always thought it was too heavy for what it was. I started riding big dual sports on a Honda XL600R and still lusted for some torque.

I never had a good reason to get rid of it until I got engaged this year. Now that the bike is on my fiances finger I am left poking around an old XR600R - that I actually love. Simple, air cooled, kick start, lighter than my WR and will rip. Its not the solution to your problem - but it has been my stop gap.

I vacillate between the EXC500 and 690 - but at the end of the day I think I am going to go for the 500. The weight makes a huge difference. I try to stay off asphalt and I also am more of a base camper vs. epic long rides guy - so my situation may be different.

I don't think I would hesitate to strap on a Giant Loop and go riding for a week at a time on 500. The bikes are proving to be relaible. Anyways - thats my 2 cents fwiw.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #49
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
I never had a good reason to get rid of it until I got engaged this year. Now that the bike is on my fiances finger I am left poking around an old XR600R - that I actually love. Simple, air cooled, kick start, lighter than my WR and will rip. Its not the solution to your problem - but it has been my stop gap.

I vacillate between the EXC500 and 690 - but at the end of the day I think I am going to go for the 500. The weight makes a huge difference. I try to stay off asphalt and I also am more of a base camper vs. epic long rides guy - so my situation may be different.

I don't think I would hesitate to strap on a Giant Loop and go riding for a week at a time on 500. The bikes are proving to be relaible. Anyways - thats my 2 cents fwiw.
Man ... that is one CLEAN XR600R. Beauty! I agree on the 500 ... and I'm with you on your base camp ... long loop style. We do the same. Do this in the Sierra but also in Baja. We move every couple days to new town and ride day loops. Awesome. Leave all the crap in the Motel. (or camp)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #50
xathor OP
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post

What a beautiful XR600R. Have you had any problems with it?

Awesome shop too. Don't find too many like it anymore.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #51
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Man ... that is one CLEAN XR600R. Beauty! I agree on the 500 ... and I'm with you on your base camp ... long loop style. We do the same. Do this in the Sierra but also in Baja. We move every couple days to new town and ride day loops. Awesome. Leave all the crap in the Motel. (or camp)
Long day loops is where it is at in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor
What a beautiful XR600R. Have you had any problems with it?

Awesome shop too. Don't find too many like it anymore.
No real problems to speak of. I don't really know the hours or mileage on it - but the wear points on the bike were in great snape - so I am pretty sure it was not ridden a bunch. It kicks over fairly easily if it has been started in the past week or so. I probably have $1800 into it. When it sits for a month it can take a few minutes to get it to light. It just turned 25 this year - so it should have antique tags soon

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #52
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
The Husky TE610 looks excellent... I just don't find good examples near me regularly. DeBandi had a nice one that he sold while I was in Iraq.
Xathor

I actually have DeBandi's brother's bike and it is for sale. It is also local.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868461

By the way, I have the WR and I am keeping it.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #53
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Back to the kick-start option--- a DR-Z400 with the ACT wide ratio gear set?? You could swap front sprockets to suit dirt or slab. I just wanted to throw that out there since I'm sort of taken by the notion myself.

Sarah
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #54
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Back to the kick-start option--- a DR-Z400 with the ACT wide ratio gear set?? You could swap front sprockets to suit dirt or slab. I just wanted to throw that out there since I'm sort of taken by the notion myself.

Sarah
In three years on my DRZ400E it never failed to start and the original battery was never replaced. If someone does something stupid, leaves ignition and headlight on or cranks and cranks and cranks when fuel is shut off ... well, can't blame the battery for that.

I looked closely at doing the conversion when I bought my DRZ E new in 2001. It was very cheap ($200) and the dealer could do the job in two days. I passed and am glad I did. Just not needed.

If you ever have a problem or batt is getting a bit low ... just unplug your headlight (30 seconds) or put in a switch. This will ensure batt is fully charged in short order. That all said .... in deep sand or mud the DRZ is tough to bump start.

Most novice riders screw up and run down their battery after a tip over. The bike is flooded and they don't know the technique for restarting after a fall. The longer the bike lays there ... the more severe the flooding.

If you fall ... FIRST ... turn off fuel, turn off key. Next, get bike on its wheels ASAP. Next: Hold throttle wide open ... to the stop. Hold it there, do NOT modulate it. Crank it over.
It will take several turns but should start up with some sputtering.

Off Road Four Stroke Starting Lesson 101.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #55
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
I sell you my plated XR600R and my TE510 figure out which you like better.

I've never ridden anything orange, but a 610 sounds awesome for what youre looking at. My 510 and the 450s I've had are true enduros and needs frequent oil changes ... But hot damn!!!... They are fun innthe dirt!

You'll notice the longer wheelbase and rake on the 610 over your WR, but you'll love the torque and being able to pass peope going 80mph if you need to.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #56
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
The 690 is the hot bipolar stripper bitch that is hot in the sack one day and trying to cut your balls off the next day.
After seeing what it did to fishfund in Africa I would never take one seriously.
WR250R/X is where its at.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #57
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Maybe so, but I asked myself all the same questions as the OP coming off my venerable old XT350. I wanted dirt bike suspension for offroad, weight around 300 and enough power to make me grin in the dirt and not be a hassle on our crazy fast freeways. The LC4E has lived up to all of my expectations. I am not planning to unload the E any time soon unless I trip over a virgin 625SXC. But when I do it will for a 690. There is zero question in my mind about that.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #58
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
The 690 is the hot bipolar stripper bitch that is hot in the sack one day and trying to cut your balls off the next day.
After seeing what it did to fishfund in Africa I would never take one seriously.
WR250R/X is where its at.
You should see what South America did to Striking Vikings KLR.

One ride report does not a bike make.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #59
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
You should see what South America did to Striking Vikings KLR.

One ride report does not a bike make.
It was.the doohickey.

Fishfunds bike was continually breaking down. No need to repeat that nightmare.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
After seeing what it did to fishfund in Africa I would never take one seriously. WR250R/X is where its at.
Quote:
It was.the doohickey.
Fishfunds bike was continually breaking down. No need to repeat that nightmare.
I agree. That Fishfund report really put me off the 690 ... and it was backed up by Colebatch's riding partner Rod and his 4 months of constant problems on his KTM 690 ... where he was frequently towed.

That Fishfund Luke is a bit of an idiot ... and no mechanic. So I can see him missing some basic maintenance things and screwing up some attempted "repairs", so I cut the 690 slack for some of this. But as mentioned, his problems were varied and never seemed to stop. No wonder those guys bailed the Hell out of Africa on that ride. Funny, the bike got fixed and sold ... and in capable hands has done a major problem free tour. (Ronin)

Rod, Colebatch's partner is a very experienced rider/mechanic. The fuel pump issues (and other problems) pulled his chain for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
You should see what South America did to Striking Vikings KLR. One ride report does not a bike make.
Was the other way around ... it was what the Viking did to his KLR
You should not blame the KLR for an owner who knew nothing about maintenance and made so many mistakes with his bike. Glen learned A LOT ... eventually ... but at that time was a NOOB regards the care and feeding of the KLR. This was his first tour after being a Hell's Angel. Not much dual sport experience starting off.

I remember reading his original posts here and couldn't believe how many times he screwed up and did not catch shit I KNEW was going to bite him.
And it DID! You could see this early on in Mexico. As the trip went on he learned and got better. Then he got kidnapped and everything changed.

On later tours, with his F650 he did MUCH better and really stayed ahead on maintenance. Not so on that very first tour with the KLR.
KLR's have some problems but if properly prepped and cared for, they are pretty bullet proof. Dozens of KLR RTW ride reports prove that point.

The KTM 690?
No thanks.