Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Should work, all the measurements come out the same. I'll put a rebuild thread up.

I joined the yahoo site and never got approved.
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Im going to start out by saying, I am surprised that it took me 11 hours to take the scooter from a huge box of parts and screws/nuts and a frame to a 98% rebuilt machine! Forgot to fix the short in the ignition switch and also forgot to hook up the wire for the trunk lock, oops. Anyway here we go:

The reflex cylinder is a perfect fit, there are 4 studs on it that will NOT interfere with the machine or anything in the engine bay. The reflex cylinder is a true 249cc cylinder while the 89-90 elites is only a 244cc motor. This is great news for anyone needing to replace the cylinder on their elite. Compression comes in at a 181psi when cold WOT, leak down passed the 7hour mark and by then I had the machine ready to go. Honda still carries all but a few cosmetic pieces, but everything crucial to your engines survival is still made, also the fuel relay for the 89/90 can be replaced with a reflexs, same thing and plugs in the same.

Havent been able to open her up yet because I am going through the painful break in period, but she has good pull, and feels way better than last time I rode, going to do 3-400 miles then replace the oil and coolant.

Made a video and took some pics of her back together. Also the paint is red krylon fusion and has lasted just fine being taken apart and rubbing against its other pieces.
]

Video:
http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Twil...7df68.mp4.html
Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
captainsin
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I think I'm in the same boat as you. Blew the engine on my 90. I've only got 30 psi on a compression test. Could you give me any guidance with part numbers for the reflex top end kit?
captainsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,353
Creation ~

Your scooter looks fabulous (of course, I'm partial to red Honda scooters) and I can see why you'd want to keep her on the road. Great news about your Helix parts working; I'm sure there are many others out there who will benefit as well.

This is obvious, but make sure you pull your plug after a few miles to make certain that you've fixed any lean fuel issues.

Ride Safe!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #20
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
...Good luck finding parts for a scooter that old, Honda is not known for having parts available for older bikes....

That couldn't be further from the truth. Honda is EXCEPTIONALLY good at supporting their older models. For instance, I could get almost anything for my 1989 VTR250 or 1989 Trans Alp, with the exception of bodywork, directly from Honda.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #21
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,944
That is a good looking bike.

Must perform good with a big motor and light weight.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Creation ~

Your scooter looks fabulous (of course, I'm partial to red Honda scooters) and I can see why you'd want to keep her on the road. Great news about your Helix parts working; I'm sure there are many others out there who will benefit as well.

This is obvious, but make sure you pull your plug after a few miles to make certain that you've fixed any lean fuel issues.

Ride Safe!
5600 miles so far and only issue was my belt wearing out. Honda has almost all parts still for the 89 and 90. Fuel pump and a couple plastic parts were only what was missing before.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #23
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Wow, I'm shocked your engine only lasted 8900 miles before blowing! By the way, I love the instrument cluster on the late model elite 250s! Very nice layout, and the blue backlight with red needle look is awesome!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,942
I have an 86 250 elite with 36,000 miles on it and last summer my thermostat stuck closed and I seized the rings in the front of the piston. Rings were available but no piston,not even an oversize from Honda. I cleaned the ring grooves with a small file and honed the cyl and installed new rings and it runs fine except I believe it has a little too much clearance.A little piston slap but I'm gonna run it another 30,000.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #25
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
When it comes to Honda parts some of it is where you live. In canada you may get a part but wait a long time for them to ship it from Japan. You might find that part in usa and wait 5 days max. Up till 1992 when Honda Founder died the rule was, any bike ,any age and we ll get you the part. Now it's once all the parts are gone you going fock it. There are places like David sliver spares in usa and uk which will have 80 % plus of the parts you need. If not OEM then pattern parts. Honda is good but not as on the ball as they once were.

I m glad the reflex mod worked out. You ve done something that is wild , cool . Not many people can do that.

To the guy need a new piston. I ve seen them on ebay but there clone stuff.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have an 86 250 elite with 36,000 miles on it and last summer my thermostat stuck closed and I seized the rings in the front of the piston. Rings were available but no piston,not even an oversize from Honda. I cleaned the ring grooves with a small file and honed the cyl and installed new rings and it runs fine except I believe it has a little too much clearance.A little piston slap but I'm gonna run it another 30,000.

What size piston and rings you need?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsin View Post
I think I'm in the same boat as you. Blew the engine on my 90. I've only got 30 psi on a compression test. Could you give me any guidance with part numbers for the reflex top end kit?
If the Reflex top end works, you could get a Malossi kit and go to 290cc
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #28
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
As far as I know, the first-generation Elite 250 and the Helix use the same piston, and possibly the entire top-end. There are gobs of replacement parts and performance enhancing kits for the CN250 engine.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #29
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
As far as I know, the first-generation Elite 250 and the Helix use the same piston, and possibly the entire top-end. There are gobs of replacement parts and performance enhancing kits for the CN250 engine.
There must be some difference or Honda would just super- cede the parts numbers.I think the Helix piston will work but its somehow changed ,probably more to do with ring thickness..
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
There must be some difference or Honda would just super- cede the parts numbers.I think the Helix piston will work but its somehow changed ,probably more to do with ring thickness..
I'll do a cross compare and let you know