Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #46
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,276
I had one in 2002. The wee hadn't come out yet. And I liked it, was very fast. Would do 125 two-up. Don't ask me how I know. I was going to kill myself on it, that or one of the dirtbikes, so I sold 'em all and quit for 3 years. That didn't last very long.

Think I'll trade the 800XC in for a Stelvio.

The 'strom is a very good budget bike. A helluva lot better than a KLR. It's an honest to goodness road bike that will fill the ADV role pretty darn good. The v-twin motor is a peach. It's a cheap japo bike though, but for a lot of people they just don't care or even notice. Tremendous following, and they do a lot of touring. Reliable as an anvil.

I really think a guy needs to have at least two bikes, one for dirt and one for road. Then any others to fill his dreams. Before I die I'm gonna have a Ducati and a Harley. That's just all there is to it.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #47
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
ms. Before I die I'm gonna have a Ducati and a Harley. That's just all there is to it.
On HD forums the two most common "other" bikes seemed to be Ducatis and Hayabusas.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #48
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Hmm.... I stand corrected
Doesn't even matter if it comes that way. You can individually buy hard bags, bash plate, crash bars, whatever you need to make it into an "adventure" bike.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #49
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Doesn't even matter if it comes that way. You can individually buy hard bags, bash plate, crash bars, whatever you need to make it into an "adventure" bike.
Well he used adventure in the model name. I thought he was referring to the 2012+ DL650 Adventure which is the only adventure I thought they made till someone showed other wise.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #50
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Dl

Hi ,
It is clear that the Dl650 or 1000 are not off road bike and not even in the same category that KTM or triumph and BMW , after 45000 miles with mine ( about 6000 miles of dirt and gravel road in SA and CA) I still love the bike . the feeling is great on hard pack dirt or gravel and very confortable on road . the bike is not light like a 650 thumper but will carry you and your gear 2 up to the end of the world without braking down . if you can lift the bike to get a better ground clearance you will be surprise how well it can be driven off road. I had the 1150 and 1200 GS ADV ( 160000 miles on them ) and love the bike but they are way too heavy and to me not as reliable . if you are looking for a cheap bike the dl650 is perfect for most of user and weekend warrior , if you need better off road I recommand a DR650 (not two up ) or an XR650L ( both will not do 80M/H on highway in a confortable manner.

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #51
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
i explored a few unmaintained roads that go from MA up into VT on my weestrom and was quite pleased with the performance in soft soil and rocky conditions. i'm glad i had a skid plate. my friend was on his super tenere and I could see that he has way better suspension, but the weight of the S10 was a little tough to work with. overall the weestrom is a terriffic adv bike. offroad experience comes in very handy since the weestrom is not exactly an enduro bike.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #52
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Also think about buying a nice used bike, how much $ could you lose if you didn't like it? It's not like your signing your life a way at the bmw dealership.

Just today I turned over the cushions on the sofa and raided the change jar and found enough for a KLR.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
jokermtb
Blues Ripper

Oddometer: 112
It's the Gold Wing of dirt bikes........
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #54
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,276
I dunno...it lools like a road bike with knobbies on it.
My DL1000 would rattle like crazy in the fairing and cowling, like a bunch of plastic. The versys did that too.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #55
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,175
Rattle and clunk. Those forks... those forks.

I don't see why you couldn't buy a cheap one of these used and stop fixing the tupperware on it and ride it until it either handgrenades or burns so much oil it's worthless.

The suspension is junk. I wonder what it might cost to upgrade the forks and the rear shock. Maybe some spoked wheels.

Bars that don't bend at the thought of a drop. Maybe some dog bones to lift the arse end a bit. A better bash guard so the exhaust header isn't smashed flat.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #56
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
I just bought a used one to see what the hubbubb was about. I'm pleasantly surprised at the ergos which let me stand easily. This single feature makes it so much more capable than ordinary streetbikes, potentially.

Riding it standing makes you an active participant in the process which makes up for some suspension deficiencies. active rider beats static rider.

The motor has a ton of power on tap but its pretty tractable once the "chudder" was eliminated.

It should be fine for the typical forest roads one encounters. I'm thinking of building a trailer for it to pull an offroad bike, though...

I contemplated doing a fork upgrade for more travel. xr600 forks will slide right in as will DRZ tripleclamps etc. I think i'll hold off and see if i actually kepp the bike for a while.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #57
DuneJumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
a wee a bit rusty

Leaving two bikes outside, under tarps, in the Ohio river valley for three years, I will add this:

The 02 BMW R1150gsa, which had a rough life with me the previous 7 years of plenty of offroad riding, and the 04 Wee-Strom, which had a good life until the girlfriend took over.

Both bikes were ridden in the snow on occasion and, having lived with old BMWs for most of my life, I wasn't aware that what is ok for them is not ok for the DL650.

The GS looks and rides like it always has and the wee-strom has significant rusting on all exhaust system surfaces and there is enough corrosion to lock up both front and rear brakes. Girlfriend is not happy with the results (two-up these days).

She is tall and can flat foot the v-strom with ease, but she does not like the weight distribution (fuel up high seems the reason) and notices the supple factor (ohlins helped) on my GS compared to the wee's.

After some research it looks like BMW will provide the wee's replacement, and a used 650/700 gs (twin) that isn't at all Chinese seems the best fit. Post 2011 production was entirely German?

Enjoyed the wee-strom's physics if not the geometry, and would have considered a 2012 for the money, but the side by side rust test leaves the Suzuki out for us.

yeah I know, garage it or care for it better, but what adventure bike should need coddling? answer: not mine
Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Question Adventure worth it?

Im thinking of getting a Vstrom 650. I plan on doing some distance riding on it. Is the adventure version worth the extra money or could I get the regular one and buy the hard cases and rack for less? Ill need the storage the hard cases have and I want to put Rotopax fuel cans on the luggage rack (Ive been place where I went 100mi before seing anyplace to get gas).
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
The general consensus is buy a standard model and outfit like an adventure unless you need to finance the whole purchase.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote