User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
tortoise2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
"6th Sense" Awareness

Just another example of how riding experience can make a "life or death" difference!

tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737
Thanks

That is a excellent post/video,was that done by you or did you find and post?I was riding in a memorial procession for some Cal Trans workers near Redding,CA yesterday,it was on the freeway and I finally got out cause it was going from 70mph to almost stopped regularly,I was watching behind me but shit happens quick.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Nd2Roam
Charleston, WV

Oddometer: 399
Just wow! I wonder, were the motorcyclists pulled to the side to observe the funeral cars? Was the car stopped for that reason or afraid to pass the cyclists? ... just wow!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
tortoise2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
did you find and post?
Yes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737
Well than good for you for finding and posting,thanks again
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Well than good for you for finding and posting,thanks again
thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Don't tell me that driver in pickup was "texting",,,,,,,,,,
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
Lucky you didn't end up on the other side being taking along to the grave yard. Wow .
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Geez, that MORON in the truck. That happens quite a bit around here on our urban freeways, where traffic goes from 70 mph to a dead stop in just a few seconds. If you are not paying attention, you WILL crash into the vehicle in front of you. There have been 10 car pileups because of this. I stay off these roads during rush hour, it's a lot safer (and probably faster) to take surface streets. I still think anyone caught using a cell phone should be arrested for DUI. It has actually been proven to be MORE dangerous than being drunk.

You do develop a "6th sense" after riding for a long time, spotting possible problems and reacting to them before they happen, if they happen. Better to be ready than not. But that truck came up from behind so fast it is unlikely anyone would have been able to respond in time. As for the vehicle it hit, they had nowhere to go anyway. I don't know why the bikes were on the shoulder, but it sure was a good thing they were.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I still think anyone caught using a cell phone should be arrested for DUI.
I agree. If not DUI, ship their sorry butts to GITMO.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
I've had similar things happen to me on 285 in Atlanta. When things bottleneck, I move to the edge of my lane and as soon as I'm sure I'll get stopped in time, I'm glued to my mirrors. At the first hint that someone can't get stopped, I lane-split at least 2 cars ahead. Screeching tires behind me mean I'm going to donate my portion of the road and use the space between lanes to put a couple of 2-ton hunks of metal between me and what's going on behind. One time I got stopped at the edge of my lane and before I could look in the mirrors a stoner in an old Buick slid up next to me about 6 inches from the car ahead. His eyes were wide open and he didn't even acknowledge I was there. He never looked to the side or in the mirrors. When things got moving, he just drove off still frozen in the same posture as when he stopped.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Not a 6th sense just sense. Thank you for this. When I am turning left on the rural road that leads to my house I often get right on the line in the middle of the road or in the passing lane before executing the turn. Man that took me by surprise in your video.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Gener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've seen a few similar incidents; so far I've been in the right place to avoid trouble. Not so lucky for the Nissan; could have been very bad for you and not so good for the Bikes on the shoulder. Glad you came out unscathed.
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
tortoise2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Reiterating . . NOT my video!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
how not to be safe

Some guy posted this on youtube from the city near where I live. Show the opistie of 6h sense awareness. Bus take him out and he lives. no pants, no coat just gloves and helmet. He pop for a go pro 2 days before but not the riding gear. You can see the people finishing going through the crosswalk. Hear the beeping which mean the walk sign is still going so I thinking he #$() up. Just lucky. Missed a steel traffic sign. Missed getting pinned by the bus. It's going to be interesting because most downtown buses here have there own video cam. I could be wrong about it being a miss judgement on this guys part. One thing I do know is that ICBC( government insurance where I live ) is going to take the video and use it so they don't pay out . At least he doesn't have to worry about med bills in BC canada. Myself I would have just complete the turn once it hit red because your allowed to do that if your sitting waiting for the light . By thiis I mean you ever already out in the street . Just not worth the risk of a bus running a red light here because bus drivers don't have to pay a fine if they do it here. Worst thing is they have to sitting in a room getting reprimanded and getting paided at the same time .

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 11:17 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote