Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
TinMan2
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just picked up a 2012 Adventure model holdover less than 2 weeks ago. It's been raining and I was out of town for 6 days but I managed to get 430 miles down anyway. I traded in a Roadstar Silverado(33,000 miles) with big windscreen and lowers plus a huge riders seat. The V-Strom adventure screen is a marvel. The big screen on the Yamaha buffeted me something fierce and I get a smooth ride with both an open face and full face helmets behind the adventure screen with the lip. Why? Don't know, but works for me. The seat is mega better than the Yamaha although it is narrower the sit up riding position makes a world of difference. I have been riding around with mostly 5,000 rpm and below to do a decent break-in but do run it up to 6-7K for brief spurts. It is giving me 60.2 MPG computed at the pump and I've been running around town stop N go 80% plus super slab 20%. Only better mpg was my Honda H110 trail.
Biggest downer are the buzzy grips and foot pegs around 5K plus rpm. Had to get Grip Puppies to keep hands from going numb instantly. Still the handling and dirt road ability has opened a new world. I hope to put 10,000 miles on this bike by Christmas.